Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Jan 22, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mum22boys1girl
Imagineer

Looking for Expert Advice Please

Hello everyone!

Been a while since I posted on here!

OK, so...we are a family of 5, kids aged 15, 12 and 10. I'd love to take them to California. We've never been! We last went to Florida in 2019 having been previously in 2014 and 2009.

I'd like to goto disneyland for 2 days, Universal for 1 day and then see LA Hollywood, you know...all the must see attractions!

I'm looking at going last 2 weeks of August as that's generally when we go away.

Could someone suggest a plan? As in where to stay? Happy to move to 2 or 3 places if it means nearer to things!

What would you recommend is a must do for my family? We love doing thing and seeing things, not really a lay by the pool kinda family!

Thank you so much for reading and replying xxx
Old 19 Jan 22, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mum22boys1girl View Post
Hello everyone!

Been a while since I posted on here!

OK, so...we are a family of 5, kids aged 15, 12 and 10. I'd love to take them to California. We've never been! We last went to Florida in 2019 having been previously in 2014 and 2009.

I'd like to goto disneyland for 2 days, Universal for 1 day and then see LA Hollywood, you know...all the must see attractions!

I'm looking at going last 2 weeks of August as that's generally when we go away.

Could someone suggest a plan? As in where to stay? Happy to move to 2 or 3 places if it means nearer to things!

What would you recommend is a must do for my family? We love doing thing and seeing things, not really a lay by the pool kinda family!

Thank you so much for reading and replying xxx
I have posted lots of information in the following threads

Disneyland Info For First Timers

All You Need To Know About Genie and Genie+ at Disneyland - All Info In First Post

I have also updated the following sections in the Dibb Guide Book Section

Disneyland Main Park Overview

Disneyland California Adventures Park Overview

Anaheim Hotels Overview

For Universal and the Hollywood sightseeing I recommend staying either at Burbank, Hollywood or Santa Monica.

Villas are not a thing in California like in Orlando.

Traffic is a huge thing in the general LA area

First timers to the LA area underestimate the size of everything and the distances involved.

This is a map with will give you an idea

Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mum22boys1girl
Imagineer

Wow thanks so much for the reply! That is really helpful!

Would you recommend we hire a car to maximise our sightseeing?

X
Old 19 Jan 22, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Depends on what you want to do

If you don’t want beaches etc then skip Santa Monica

West Hollywood/Hollywood is the best place for universal and the sights in that area then move to Disney for a couple of days (that’s all really need in CA)

Then drive down PCH to San Diego to complete your trip . It’s an easy drive and such a world away from LA with loads to see and do - check out Aims threads

I know CA pretty well and better than most so happy to field any specifics you have

CA is a very relaxed place - you really don’t need to over plan at all (most don’t ) - it’s a place with a pace to chill and SO much to see enjoy at leisure . Luckily I worked for many years out of SD and explored every weekend and free day - never bored and never planned !
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi just remember LA is a sprawling mass 100 miles top to bottom approx. Have you thought of taking in anywhere else , San Diego, San Fran etc
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I would definitely suggest visiting at least one other area in addition to LA/Anaheim. You could fill two weeks there certainly, but I wouldn’t choose to.
Old 20 Jan 22, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
swiper
VIP Dibber

Just a couple of suggestions of hotels that worked great for us…
We stayed at Hyatt house across the road from Disney. Excellent family rooms. Breakfast was included.
For Universal we stayed in Lowes Hollywood ( stayed for 4 nights ) great place for exploring.
swiper is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Anaheim for a few days for Disney, Somewhere like Burbank for a few days for universal and Hollywood .

Then i would go elsewhere, There is a lot more to see and do in California, We like the beaches like Huntingdon & Long Beach

All depends how much you want to travel.. We will have 3 weeks there next month and drive around 3000 miles
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Laguna black is a stunning village (home of Plein Air artists - stunning) and soo many cypress trees adoring the boulevards the air is thick with the scent - it really is like an old seaside town from the movies (a hidden gem) and to contrast I also like Longbeach as it is more active - not as pretty as Laguna (no where on south PCH can really match that picture postcard look) but has a lot happening and visit to Queen Mary is fascinating and will keep the children entertained. Nice little village feel near QM with cafes and shops
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Laguna black is a stunning village (home of Plein Air artists - stunning) and soo many cypress trees adoring the boulevards the air is thick with the scent - it really is like an old seaside town from the movies (a hidden gem) and to contrast I also like Longbeach as it is more active - not as pretty as Laguna (no where on south PCH can really match that picture postcard look) but has a lot happening and visit to Queen Mary is fascinating and will keep the children entertained. Nice little village feel near QM with cafes and shops
Is the Queen Mary open to the public at the moment ?

We went to Long Beach last month and it was all shut up down there ., shame because my little granddaughter would have loved it .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List