Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Apr 22, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Joeyt182
VIP Dibber

Joeyt182's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Place you picked the car up from:- Miami International Airport
Catergory of car hired:- 15 Seater Van
Make of car you got:- Chevrolet Express
Hire car company used:Alamo (Via Andy @ DFCH)

Well what can I say... It was a van with some (15) seats. Pretty basic on the inside, no mod cons but the Air Con did work very well.

It was slow and boring, but did the job of carrying 9 of us with all our luggage fantastically well with the back row used as storage

Edited at 08:18 PM. Reason: Adding Photos
Joeyt182 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 22, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Ohana2020
Trying for More Ears

Location - Avis - MCO
Category Booked - Premium 7 Seat SUV
Car Supplied - Luxury 7 Seat SUV
Dates - 10th to 26th April 2022
Cost - £840 with Andy @ DFCH

Arrived at MCO kiosk in garage with trepidation around 3 hours late after palaver with lost pushchair and 2nd bag drop.

Name on board but no bay as first time with Avis Preferred. Went to kiosk, 1 person in front in queue.

Was asked about tolls, advised I had the VTP sorted (thanks Mick!). Saw the bill which showed estimated charges $0.02. I did query this bit she shrugged and said "it's only 2 cents". Dediced that was not the time to fight it.

Found car which was an Infiniti QX80. Was a bit disappointed it wasn't the Suburban type I was expecting but has since transpired it was technically an upgrade.

Was a bit of a squeeze with 4 cases, hand luggage, 3a and 2c but we managed.

Very low mileage (258 IIRC) and very clean with lots of gadgets (most didn't get used). Took a while to get used to the height, especially when getting out. Was a bit annoying as daughter had to sit in 3rd row which led to me stretching every time to do seatbelt.

Car was quite thirsty ($188 of fuel at about $4.10 per US gallon got us around 600-650 miles). This works out around 16 UK Mpg... glad I wasn't paying current UK prices). Very powerful with 5.6l and 400+ bhp coming from the fun sounding V8.

Next time I think I would stay with Alamo instead of Avis as at least you can pick your car and be happy with it before leaving.

Edited at 04:02 PM.
Ohana2020 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 22, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinKing
Trying for More Ears

May 2022
Alamo - Pickup and return Orlando MCO (via autoeurope)
Standard Pickup - RAM 1500 Classic
£613 for 11 days

There were about 10 pickups to choose from in the pickup section, probably more scattered in other areas. As far as i could tell they were all either RAM 1500's or Ford F150's.

Checked through the row and most had 50-60,000 miles on them. In the end I went for a very basic but very new RAM 1500 Classic with 1500 miles on the clock, no apple carplay or satnav but I have a phone holder with me so no problem. Aircon was super fast to get going, had a reversing camera.

Rear bench seat flips up and you can chuck two large cases in plus a couple of carry-on size cases on top.

Lovely to drive with a 3.6L V6, loads of road presence - whole heartedly recommend a pickup to couples / pairs of travellers.

I'm used to driving large vans in central London, but for those less confident with large vehicles I'd pick a Ford F150 with front and rear sensors (look for a Laramy or Limited badge which is higher spec), but dont be scared - they drive like cars and the roads and parking spaces are huge. just lean out of the window and park slowly, and get super close to the card reader at the disney resort barriers or you'll have to get out to tap!

TBH these trucks are good for 1000's of miles so don't worry about the mileage, take your time when choosing, just make sure its clean and has the gadgets you need.

Edited at 03:56 AM.
PumpkinKing is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 22, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Intermediate size cars

Just posting the intermediate size car we had. Toyota Corolla saloon

2016 Boardwalk Villas
2015 Pop Century
2014 Old Key West

Edited at 03:53 AM.
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 22, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Initially we had a full sized car (ford fusion) that we were allocated on arrival at Melbourne by Alamo through TUI, we did a lot of miles over the first 5 days of our trip and after a good long drive on Thursday 5th may we awoke on Friday to a check engine light.

We were told to go to MCO (Orlando airport) to exchange and there was nothing in the car isle that didnt look like an actual downgrade so we were upgraded to...

Location - Alamo - MCO
Category Booked - full sized car but upgraded
Car Supplied - Chevrolet Silverado
Dates - Friday 6th May to Wednesday 11th May

Keys (auto start etc)

checking the suspension

Had 2,000 miles on clock at collection

as expected google car play, separate climate controls etc

plenty of room for junk in the trunk

Two seats up one down

Easy would hold 6/7 large cases before hand luggage in the back

Front would seat three but we only needed room for two

Love bug destroyer

Still looks like a kids toy between these!
Old 23 May 22, 04:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Thanks everyone for keeping this thread updated.
Please keep this thread for car hire photos only.
Any questions about cars please can you either pm the poster or ask in the main forum.
Thanks
Old 23 May 22, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
newstewart
Apprentice Imagineer

GMC Terrain
Standard SUV
Hertz - MCO
Had about 47k on clock, less than 2 years old but was pleasant to drive.
No sat nav but had CarPlay which was perfect for us.
Didn’t like Gearbox control, 5 small switches

newstewart is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 22, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

Picked up from MCO.
Booked Premium Pick Up from Alamo thru Holiday Autos.
Collected Premium Pick Up.
There was about 10 trucks to choose from, mostly Ford F150’s and Dodge Ram’s. Went for this one as it only had 1900 on the clock (still had the new car smell).
Also had Car Play and reversing camera (thank god!)

99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 22, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

Couple of cars on this trip,

Car 1 - First day groceries/outlets car

Location - Alamo - Disney Car Care Center
Category Booked - Sports
Car Supplied - Standard Convertible - Fort Mustang
Picked up 10th May 2022 for 24hrs
Cost - £98

Would have had a grumble had it not been just for a day, still worked out cheaper than hiring a standard convertible but I was after something with a bit more grunt.

Car was on 24k miles but I suspect they hadn't been easy miles, it was the higher model with cooled seats and flappy paddle gear box. I ran through a quarter of a tank in a day, put it in sport mode and booted it

Car 2 - Last Day airport run

Location - Alamo - Disney Car Care Center
Category Booked - Fullsize car
Car Supplied - Jeep Cherokee Limited
Picked up 22nd May 2022 for 24hrs
Cost - £68

No complaints on this one, 30kish miles and a bit of a ding on the rear bumper but it was a pleasant car to drive. I believe the engine was the V6 3.2l

Still haven't been charged for parking at Disney resort
kaytronika is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 22, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
SUPERHOOP66
Proud to wear my Ears

SUPERHOOP66's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Collected yesterday from Budget at MCO. Booked a standard SUV and waited at the desk for 30 minutes as the 2 cars they’d found for us were unavailable for whatever reason so 3rd time lucky and they gave us a Lexus 350. Highish mileage but drives really well and it’s very comfortable and room in the boot for 3 full size suitcases.

Tags
alamo, avis, avis preffered, budget, car hire, compact, dollar, full size, hertz, intermediate, midsize, mini van, sixt, standard, suv, thrifty