Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 3 Jul 21, 06:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We seem to have accumulated BBQs over the years - 4 of various sizes and uses + I got a Ooni pizza oven on my birthday in April….

Here are some things cooked lately:

Ribs:

Beef shortribs (also from Costco like OPs)

Tomahawks (Costco)
Old 3 Jul 21, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
I'll post up some pics tomorrow of my first shot at Pulled Pork and a Brisket on the smoker.

Picked them both up today, 4 kg each. Starting the cook at 7am.
Smoker on, meat in, up to temp and it's raining.

2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 21, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Very nice smoke ring on the brisket -

Pulled pork had a lovely deep smoke flavour. Drier than I'm used to in the slow cooker but pulled really nicely, bone came straight out clean.

2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 21, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Just seen this thread! We had our first rotisserie chicken last night. DH got a rotisserie to fit his weber for fathers day. Stuffed with lemon and garlic and then rubbed with a rub quite similar to outback steakhouse seasoning. Trussed the chicken and gave it an hour and 45 mins. The juices were coming out as it turned and it basted itself. Have to say I was quite impressed with the piece of kit. I do think he still prefers a coal bbq and may treat himself to a kamado style one in the future. I think our Weber is good for feeding the masses but not convinced with the flavour.

Just to add... I'd never heard of pink butchers paper. Have had a google and just ordered some
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 21, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
SleepingBeauty
Imagineer

I'll post what we had for our 4th of July BBQ party yesterday:
-Pulled pork
-Burgers and dogs
-Buffalo wings
-Cold pasta salad, potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, chips (crisps) with French onion dip, corn on the cob.
-Cupcakes, lemon meringue pie, Key lime pie
-Beer, wine, iced tea
-Watermelon

Tons of firecrackers and fireworks going off in our neighborhood last night. It's illegal but for the most part not really policed. Someone down the street was having a very loud pool party with old-skool rap and ska blasting well into the evening!
SleepingBeauty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Very nice smoke ring on the brisket -

Pulled pork had a lovely deep smoke flavour. Drier than I'm used to in the slow cooker but pulled really nicely, bone came straight out clean.

Look good. What are you smoking on, is it a WSM, or Pro Q?
Old 6 Jul 21, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
Just seen this thread! We had our first rotisserie chicken last night. DH got a rotisserie to fit his weber for fathers day. Stuffed with lemon and garlic and then rubbed with a rub quite similar to outback steakhouse seasoning. Trussed the chicken and gave it an hour and 45 mins. The juices were coming out as it turned and it basted itself. Have to say I was quite impressed with the piece of kit. I do think he still prefers a coal bbq and may treat himself to a kamado style one in the future. I think our Weber is good for feeding the masses but not convinced with the flavour.

Just to add... I'd never heard of pink butchers paper. Have had a google and just ordered some
I need to get a rotisserie eventually for my Summit Kamado. This sounds great. Yes I suspect he would enjoy a Kamado as it is the ultimate all rounder. I did pizzas on mine on Saturday, with the deflector plate in I still hit 700f, becomes a bit of a challenge opening the lid when you get over 700 but pizzas do in a couple of minutes.

Yesterday for the Summit I ordered a Kamado Joe cast iron half moon sear grate and a Big Joe half moon cooking grate, so I have a 2 zone cooker, with a searing station over the coals, and a half grill for smoking at the normal level.

I’m going to get some nice, locally reared Ribeyes and do a reverse sear on this new setup on Sunday, I’ll post up some pics.

Edited at 07:01 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Look good. What are you smoking on, is it a WSM, or Pro Q?
It's a WSM clone.
Old 6 Jul 21, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

It's a WSM clone.
Where did you buy the brisket? Was it English style or Packer? Good bark and smoke ring. You get a better smoke ring with briquettes.
Old 6 Jul 21, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Where did you buy the brisket? Was it English style or Packer? Good bark and smoke ring. You get a better smoke ring with briquettes.
It was packer, the whole piece was about 7kg, I took the point end (which had a good amount of flat too) weighed in at 4kg.

I paid £30 for it, the butchers is inside Dobbies in Atherstone - it's called Trotters. Quite apt as when I asked for a pork shoulder it came with the trotter attached, they trimmed it off for me to leave me with again a 4kg piece - that was £19.

I used briquettes and initially 4 chuncks of Weber apple wood, followed by another 4 chunks after a couple of hours.