Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 20 Aug 21, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Ignoring the cost element, if you are someone that would use Disney Genie+ do you feel having to plan your rides and attractions on the day you visit the park better or worse than the old system of advanced FastPass planning?
Personally, I liked the preplanning part. I liked spending my time, weeks before my holiday, choosing which rides to go on at which parks and when. However, I must admit, on the day it could sometimes be a bit of a faff. I sometimes felt somewhat tied to those times I'd prebooked - "Come on! We must be in Frontierland at 11am because I've got BTMR booked then. So, I'm sorry, we can't queue up for Dumbo. Oh, and after BTMR we'll need to head towards Tomorrowland because it's Space Mountain at 12".

The good thing with the old system is that you could choose how you wanted to do things. You could book all the rides weeks beforehand based on some convoluted plan you'd created. Or you could just turn up on the day and then spend you time booking fastpasses there and then in the park. Sure, you were unlikely to get the headliner rides doing it on the day but often that didn't matter; I was happy to do the other 90% of attractions in the park.

Now, the option to prebook things has been removed, meaning you have to book on the day whether you liked doing that or not. And, although there are advantages to that, it feels more restrictive.

But I'm sure we'll all manage. We'll adapt.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mostlybobbins
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YLL View Post
I won't be one of them 😀

The only time I'd get up at 7am in the whole holiday would be to join a virtual line for ROTR, most probably on day 1 or 2 when I'm still jetlagged. For everything else, it will be on the go in the parks.
Which is exactly what Disney want you to do, right? They want you to use Genie so you're in the lines LESS and out about in the shops, restaurants MORE. Of course, we don't have to do that (we'll have planned all of that anyway)

I know it seems like Disney are just totally nefarious at the moment, but I do believe that they see benefits that aren't just purely financial for the park goer.
mostlybobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by YLL View Post
I won't be one of them 😀

The only time I'd get up at 7am in the whole holiday would be to join a virtual line for ROTR, most probably on day 1 or 2 when I'm still jetlagged. For everything else, it will be on the go in the parks.
And this new system, like the old system, allows you to do that. You didn't have to spend hours booking and rearranging FP+ weeks beforehand in the old system if you didn't want to. You could do it on the go in the parks.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
I really liked FP+. I knew what my day might look like snd if I was hopping I knew I could still ride FOP if I was only going to AK at night.

Now
Be on your phone at 7am
Book a park - could be heaving but you can’t hop till after 2pm
Pay for Genie + - might not be a great selection of rides available with shorter lines.
Pay more for a headliner but only 2!
Book a boarding group that could be for any time they feel like if you can get one.
Book an adr - what if your boarding group turns out be the same time as that - charge you for missing it?

We’ve never had issues riding what we’ve wanted or getting extra fast passes on the old system.

On the other hand

Universal - stay deluxe

go where you want on the day
Ride what you want. When you want.
Old 20 Aug 21, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mostlybobbins View Post
Which is exactly what Disney want you to do, right? They want you to use Genie so you're in the lines LESS and out about in the shops, restaurants MORE. Of course, we don't have to do that (we'll have planned all of that anyway)

I know it seems like Disney are just totally nefarious at the moment, but I do believe that they see benefits that aren't just purely financial for the park goer.
Yes, I think Disney are being honest when they say that they think their new Genie system will help make guests experiences a little better. They've seen that lots of people like planning tools that the likes of TP provide so want to provide something similar for their guests. Sure, they are also getting us to pay for some of that benefit - they are a business and need to recoup the money spent on developing the Genie system and also make extra profit from us guests - but I don't think all the other stuff they are talking about is just outright rubbish.

Their marketing will, of course, heavily focus on the potential benefits and try to convince you how great this all is whilst mostly ignoring the elephant in the room regarding the additional cost to (some/most) customers. But that's marketing for you.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 12:34 PM.
Old 20 Aug 21, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mostlybobbins View Post

I'm more than happy to join standby queues, using Genie simply TP. I'd not use G+ unless the park was absolutely heaving, but then I tend to go in September or early May when it's less busy anyway.
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
You didn't have to spend hours booking and rearranging FP+ weeks beforehand in the old system if you didn't want to.
I'm pretty sure everyone who prebooked FP+ did that though 😉
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
GlenWa73
Swimming at the All Star Resort

At a considerable price i.e. 10 days for 4 people ergo $600
Link to this Post
mostlybobbins
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Sure, they are also getting us to pay for some of that benefit - they are a business and need to recoup the money spent on developing the Genie system and also make extra profit from us guests - but I don't think all the other stuff they are talking about is just outright rubbish.

Their marketing will, of course, heavily focus on the potential benefits and try to convince you how great this all is whilst mostly ignoring the elephant in the room regarding the additional cost to (some/most) customers. But that's marketing for you.
It's really easy to judge it all now when nothing is proven. Only when we are actually there living and breathing it will it all really make sense. They won't have invested in Genie for no benefit to the park goer - it would have cost them far, far too much to risk losing visitors. They knew they would get a huge amount of flak for this, but its something they felt they had to do as the No.1 complaint from park goers is the lines!
mostlybobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Is there any way old posts could be dragged up about when fastpass+ was released and how everyone hated the idea? It all changed once we tried it and most(not all) liked it. It could be the same again. It might work brilliantly. It’s the cost that won’t ever get people onside though.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List