Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Jan 22, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Stew_the_red
slightly serious Dibber

The worlds Darkest Hour

We are just back from a short city break to Krakow and despite the amount of research, prep work, you tube watching book reading none of it did the feeling that hangs over Auschwitz and Auschwitz 2 (Birkenau). The sheer sense of loss death and suffering was heartbreaking and in my own humble opinion a place where we should all try and visit to ensure nothing like that is ever aloud to manifest itself again.

The items left behind that now form the exhibit and truly shocking and serves a reminder of what hate can do if left to fester and grow.

I was also a little saddened to see families taking selfies and posing on the train tracks with the backdrop of the Birkenau build in them...
Stew_the_red is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I went in 2016, and I feel the same as you. I was disgusted by the number of tourists who were photographing and selfie-ing everything. It seemed like it was just another tourist attraction for them, rather than them appreciating the sheer scale and gravity of what happened on those sites.
Old 2 Jan 22, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

My daughter visited Auschwitz when she was 18 as part of her A-Level history course and she said seeing the personal possessions there really upset her.
She’s almost 43 now and has said it’s something she’ll never forget
Old 2 Jan 22, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Stew_the_red
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
I went in 2016, and I feel the same as you. I was disgusted by the number of tourists who were photographing and selfie-ing everything. It seemed like it was just another tourist attraction for them, rather than them appreciating the sheer scale and gravity of what happened on those sites.
Sadly its all for insta with some folk, seen it at the Hillsborough memorial at Anfield and at the 9-11 memorial on our last 2 visits to New York.

Sad really, that some think life is a competition and constantly trying to out door someone else, be it in life or with things like this
Stew_the_red is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Stew_the_red
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
My daughter visited Auschwitz when she was 18 as part of her A-Level history course and she said seeing the personal possessions there really upset her.
She’s almost 43 now and has said it’s something she’ll never forget
Our youngest daughter was due to go with School in April 2020 when we had planned to go aswell, Mrs the Red isn't to keen on going back so I've discussed going back with her, personally I think you need to go in winter to get the scale of the suffering, but that's my own opinion
Old 2 Jan 22, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
It feels wrong to say I want to visit but its something I have felt for a long long time I really should do. I was booked to go in 2020 but covid prevented that. Its a trip I feel all of us should do too.
Old 2 Jan 22, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Stew_the_red
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
It feels wrong to say I want to visit but its something I have felt for a long long time I really should do. I was booked to go in 2020 but covid prevented that. Its a trip I feel all of us should do too.
I completely understand what you are saying, but as I have put I think its something we should all try and do, what they have done with both Auschwitz and Birkenau is a very fitting tribute, we found some of the tour guides to be very loud and a little brash but we were lucky to have a very softly spoken polish lady who knew when to leave the group to themselves and I think also got a little teary at one or two points,

go for it, but id deffo do it in the winter months
Old 2 Jan 22, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Pottermouse
Apprentice Imagineer

We were able to visit a couple of years ago. Our tour guide was fantastic and she explained how they have to study and pass ‘tests’ before they are allowed to take tours. They have to know absolutely everything.

It sends chills down your spine listening and seeing what happened. Looking at the photographs of all the people that were murdered and the lies that they were told. Absolutely horrific what happened to them. I really didn’t like walking through the gas chambers, an experience that you can’t explain.

We too found people taking selfies and photos of families/friends around the two sites. It’s really not appropriate and the guides do ask you not to do this, however people did take the opportunity. Very sad…

Definitely a place to go to, horrendous what happened but you understand more being there.

Wynnfield Inn Sept 00, Spring Hill Suites LBV Oct 07, POR Aug 08 & Aug 09, Sandy Ridge Villa Oct 10, Sheraton Park Anaheim 11, Scottsdale 12, Las Vegas Jun 13, Scottsdale 14, Dallas 15, OKW 16, Cuba 17, Cuba 18, Beach Club 19 & Kraków Nov 19.
Pottermouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I’ve been an educator for the Holocaust education trust and as such I’ve taken numerous 6th form students to Auschwitz and Birkenau and many comment on other visitors taking selfies etc. I think sometimes people default into “I’m a visitor” mode and don’t actually think about what they are taking photos of. Others, especially survivors families, might be taking them for very different reasons. Personally I found I was focusing on what other people were doing as a way of not processing the horrors I was witnessing.

As for visiting in the winter and not the summer, many survivors I’ve listened to have said that the summers were worse because of the heat, smell and disease.
Old 3 Jan 22, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Cocobean121
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stew_the_red View Post
I completely understand what you are saying, but as I have put I think its something we should all try and do, what they have done with both Auschwitz and Birkenau is a very fitting tribute, we found some of the tour guides to be very loud and a little brash but we were lucky to have a very softly spoken polish lady who knew when to leave the group to themselves and I think also got a little teary at one or two points,

go for it, but id deffo do it in the winter months
We had a softly spoken polish lady aswell, she was amazing and so knowledgeable, I believe her grandparents were in the camp. This was a few years ago when we went, but possibly the same lady, unfortunately we were ushered back on our coach before we had chance to speak to her. It was an unforgettable experience.

Easter 2011 Legacy Park Villa fl. Aug/Sept 2013 Thousand Oaks Villa fl. April 2015 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa fl. May 2017 the sanctuary, West Haven villa Fl.
October 2019 Pier 60 & Highlands Reserve villa fl
May 2020 endless summer and Aventura
Cocobean121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List