Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 23 Sep 19, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Just_Pete
Excited about Disney

Thoughts on my first RCI Cruise (Oasis/Med)

So after taking my first cruise (on the Disney Wonder) in Feb 2017 I knew I had the cruise bug and wanted to do more. I am single, so tend to cruise with friends, and had none who would pay for Disney prices, but do have some friends who have recently done two cruises on RCI's Explorer of the seas, so managed to convince them into doing a European itinerary with me. And being a bit of a ship geek going on an Oasis class was massively appealing to me.

So if anyones interested? Here's my summary.

Oasis Of The Seas, Western Mediterranean 8th Sept - 15th Sept.

Embarkation in Barcelona was a breeze, although our email we received days before said to show up between 14:30 - 15:30. We left our AirBnB in Barcelona at maybe 10:15, and were at the port shortly after. We snuck in with our friends who were in a junior suite although we were only in a CP View cabin and were given group one and told it would be a 45 minute wait or so for boarding to commence. But we were happy to have group 1. However maybe 10 minutes later they started calling group 1. By the time we made it to the elevator to the gangway they were already saying group 1-25! So really fast boarding. I am a complete newbie to the Oasis Class, but I did get a feeling the cruise wasn't by any means sold out though. Which would make sense at the end of the Summer season like this.

The ship was impressive and lived up to the hype of the Oasis class. One thing I had read online and also that my friends who as I mentioned have cruised on an older RCI ship noticed along with myself is that the ship really is very interior focused, and even the few spaces on the main decks that do have windows/portholes for some reason have frosted or vinyl'd over glass. You could easily go a day on this ship and maybe only see the water once or twice.

Even though the ship was two weeks away from a major dry dock and her amplification, she was in pretty good condition. Only a few niggles with the lifts sometimes not responding to button pushes. We did a few finger wipes in nooks and crannies in public areas and every-time were impressed with the cleanliness.

Our cabin was fine for the two of us, although other than speaking with our steward(ess) about having our beds separated the first night, we did not really interact with her again.

Dining was average in the main dining room if I am honest. It wasn't to Disney standards, and my Carbonara one night was particularly congealed which was disappointing. The wait team in the MDR were brilliant though. We also did Izumi which was great. And 150 Central Park, where the food was good, but the atmosphere and staff were a little lacking.

Entertainment wise the main shows were great (not Disney standard, but I don't think anyone at sea is). Cats was a great production, but I do not understand why RCI thought this would be a good fit for the casual audience of a cruise ship. Many people left before the show even made it to the end of act 1, and even less came back. The Ice show was also great. Come fly with me made zero sense, but the cast were great.

One night we ended up really enjoying which we hadn't expected to was the 70's party night in the Promenade. This sounded pretty naff, yet it just clicked and the place really came alive and everyone seemed to have a great time.

Overall the service could be a bit lacking and maybe this is because the crew knew it was the end of the season and they have one more cruise after ours then a long dry dock. But that is really no excuse, in particular every time I used the Solarium Bar, I was served by the same server who seemed very unfriendly and uninterested. Also RCI do seem a bit in your face with the upselling and this annoyed me a few times. I don't remember any of this on Disney, and I spoke to my friend who is Platinum with Disney and he says it does happen, but it's not as in your face as RCI.

Shore excursions we did just one official RCI one which was Aix (a town near the Marseille stop) on your own, so it was really a just commentated coach ride in and then we did our own thing (in the pouring rain sadly). Majorca was a great stop, although quick. but for me Cinque Terre at La Spezia was a highlight, stunning scenery and a great walk between two of the towns. Naples was foul, we took a train to Pompeii, but if I did another cruise that stopped in Naples, I would stay on the ship.

Overall it was a good introduction to RCI, and great to be able to brag at having done one of the largest ships in the world, and the first of the famous Oasis class. I'm not sure I want to do any of the other older RCI ships, as I do like new and shiny. But would deffo consider a cruise on the Quantum class with them.

Edited at 09:54 AM.
Just_Pete is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Great summary thank you! We would so love to do an Oasis or Quantum class. We like new and shiny too lol.

Glad it was mostly good! We've only sailed on Independence and we also ended up strangely loving the promenade parties! And we aren't really party people at all. Just a really good atmosphere
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Thank you for sharing, really great write up.

DCL defo do upsell, but it's in the form of a table that has a cooler bag filled with water/beer on it and you have to approach them. Another is the drink of the day in a souvenir cup - on the first day, you don't get told you could have it cheaper without the cup. In the dining rooms, they may try sell you the pirate mug for instance. So not really an annoying upsell which is good.

We are currently sailing on the Celebrity Silhouette next October and she is due for a refurb before we go. Nice and shiny sounds good, I just need to not compare it with DCL - it's a different cruise and it's going to be great!

Joa
Old 24 Sep 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Just_Pete
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Great summary thank you! We would so love to do an Oasis or Quantum class. We like new and shiny too lol.

Glad it was mostly good! We've only sailed on Independence and we also ended up strangely loving the promenade parties! And we aren't really party people at all. Just a really good atmosphere
Absolutely, the Promenade 70s night thing just sounded a bit Butlins at Sea to me when I saw it on the planner. But it was actually tonnes of fun (I'm sure the fact I had been drinking played into that admittedly) but everyone just seemed to click and have a lot of fun with it. On disembarkation morning they were actually playing it on the tv's in the Staterooms and it was quite funny seeing us occasionally dancing in the crowd as we were packing up.
Just_Pete is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Great review - agree about not seeing the water, I found Oasis class too big for my taste, and prefer Quantum class ships. I haven't tried Izumi, but we tried Wonderland and Chops and loved both.
Thanks for sharing! Now I just wish I was on a cruise.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Just_Pete
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Great review - agree about not seeing the water, I found Oasis class too big for my taste, and prefer Quantum class ships. I haven't tried Izumi, but we tried Wonderland and Chops and loved both.
Thanks for sharing! Now I just wish I was on a cruise.
Absolutely buzzing to try a Quantum class, have looked at Anthem as she is doing some Southampton sailings next year, but need to work out who I would go with. Would also like to try Chops. Although the steak I had in 150 Central was pretty amazing too!

I don't have a problem with Oasis's size... It's not all about size by any means, but I like how big she is. It's just that all the key public areas either have frosted windows (like the MDR) or are simply in the middle of the ship and inward facing, like Schooners/Champagne Bar etc all facing into the promenade. I see the design necessitates it, but it's a shame I think. You can literally forget you are on a ship at sea.