Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 4 Nov 19, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Toiletries/clothing when flying hand luggage only

We are planning a split stay next summer to Rome then Sorrento. We would be flying with EasyJet and probably using trains to transfer between the two locations. We usually pay for hold luggage but logistically large cases won’t be practical on this trip so we are planning on buying the smaller soft cases which would be allowed as cabin bags on the flight and would fit on the overhead racks on the train.

I realise liquids have to be in 10mls bottles in a sealed clear bag so will decant shampoo etc into these small bottles across the three bags, as there are three of us travelling.

However we usually take spray anti-mosquito repellent as I always react badly to bites and find the wrist bands ineffective for me. Is there an alternative to spray that would be effective and allowed in hand luggage?

Toothpaste, is that classed as a liquid? DD only uses one brand and I don’t feel it would be available in Italy, plus it’s only sold in a 125g tube.

Mascara, is there any reasonable priced brands that do a 10ml container? Such as Rimmel, Collection type of price range.

Does a roll on deodorant count as liquid? Are wet wipes allowed in hand luggage?

Any hints or tips for toiletries for compact packing? Or any hints for compact packing? We always use packing cubes and our luggage usually comes in underweight at around 15-17kgs but I feel the small cases are going to be a bit of a challenge.

Are we going to need smarter clothes to eat out in the evenings (as that’s an entire new set of clothes for me and DD 😂 ) or long trousers for DH for evening meals?

TIA Sue

Edited at 11:03 AM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I have become an old hand at decanting toiletries since I started Travelling for work.

I buy solid shampoo from Lush which I use for travelling only

You can buy Jungle formula Insect repellent in 90ml bottles which will keep you under the 100ml limit ( I have seen it in Body care and Boots)

I buy 30 and 50 ml beauty pots from either Ebay or Amazon and decant toothpaste, moisturiser, cleanser, lip balm, foundation and primer into

Sun care- You can buy under 100ml Bottles in Boots

If you have a roll on deodorant that will be classed as a liquid , Mitchum do dry ones which are not liquid.

I take soap instead of shower Gel

Mascara - I just take my normal one as it is only 12.5ml

Make up wipes- I take whichever is on offer ( usually non fragranced) I have only been asked to take them out at one airport which I think was Birmingham

Perfume/ Aftershave- We bought decanter bottles from Amazon for our perfume and aftershave and they lasted all holiday.

With three of you you will be surprised at the amount you can get in the bags, Just ensure that they are the right size.

If you have a Bodycare store near you they have a lot of travel items for ideas and are cheaper than Boots

Personally I don't use packing cubes on smaller trips , maybe just a small pouch sized one for underwear, but I usually travel short hops with a back pack only .
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
sammi71
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 22
We are doing hand luggage only on this trip to WDW, Ive brought travel size shampoo (partner will only use Head & Shoulders), toothpaste and mouthwash from Superdrug. Ive already got small bottles of jungle formular mozzie spray that I was given, so cant help on that part Im afraid. Ive brought some travel size spray bottles to decant the Avon Skin so soft into as I find this also helps
sammi71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you Snowbelle, that’s really useful. I’m not entirely sure the packing cubes will work but I can try both with and without to see which gets the most in.

Am I right that we are allowed a total of 100mls each? I thought this had to spread across 10ml max per bottle, or can I take the 90ml Jungle Formula and a 10ml bottle of something else as one person’s allowance? This would be much easier than it all being 10mls as it would solve the mascara issue as mine is 12.5ml too and mean we could buy a 50ml pot for the toothpaste.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sammi71 View Post
We are doing hand luggage only on this trip to WDW, Ive brought travel size shampoo (partner will only use Head & Shoulders), toothpaste and mouthwash from Superdrug. Ive already got small bottles of jungle formular mozzie spray that I was given, so cant help on that part Im afraid. Ive brought some travel size spray bottles to decant the Avon Skin so soft into as I find this also helps
I found the Avon Skin so soft excellent too so I was hoping to decant that too. I hadn’t realised how much liquids we actually take though and with a 100ml pp limit, I think we are going to have to prioritise bug repellent and toothpaste etc and use the hotel shower gel etc as a 90ml bug spray and 50ml toothpaste takes up almost half the allowance for all 3 of us. Mascara x 2 for me and DD is a priority, as will be the Skin so Soft and deodorant.
Old 4 Nov 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I have just googled and I (so useless at maths 😂 ) am incorrect about the 10ml per item, it’s actually 100ml per item 😂 up to a max of half a litre pp (so that’s 500mls?) That makes it much easier. I will still have to be sensible about what we take due to space in the bags but it’s not as difficult as I first thought
Old 4 Nov 19, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Buy a thing you need air side at the airport no restrictions on size once you are passed security.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Liquid rules are as follows;

All your 100ml containers need to be carried on board in a clear, plastic bag with a maximum size of 20cm x 20cm. The maximum amount of liquid you can take onto a flight is 1 litre. That's 10 x 100ml containers. You can only take one of these bags on board, and it must be easy to open and close.

Both roll on deodorant and toothpaste are classed as liquids.

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Buy a thing you need air side at the airport no restrictions on size once you are passed security.
I have considered this for deodorants and items that we aren’t so fussy about brands for, so that may be useful.
Old 4 Nov 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cabbie View Post
Liquid rules are as follows;

All your 100ml containers need to be carried on board in a clear, plastic bag with a maximum size of 20cm x 20cm. The maximum amount of liquid you can take onto a flight is 1 litre. That's 10 x 100ml containers. You can only take one of these bags on board, and it must be easy to open and close.

Both roll on deodorant and toothpaste are classed as liquids.

-Steve
So it’s 10x100mls per person, not 5x100mls as I thought? That’s even better 😀 I’m presuming they don’t have to be 100mls, I could have 2x50mls instead (as roll on deodorants are generally 50mls)?