Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 4 Nov 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

You have to fit everything in the bag so 10x100 ml will be tough anyway as the bags are small.

Re the cases. We prefer hard sided cabin bags as they stand up on their own quite happily. Our soft sided ones fell over which was frustrating.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
So it’s 10x100mls per person, not 5x100mls as I thought? That’s even better 😀 I’m presuming they don’t have to be 100mls, I could have 2x50mls instead (as roll on deodorants are generally 50mls)?
Yes thats right DD, But you have to be able to close the bag and as previously posted the bag allowances are'nt that big so you can be pushed to fit it all in and still close the bag a roll on deodorant for example with the roller ball.

Many people do buy their items airside but they are usually more expensive and may not always have the brand you like or are used to.

You can buy empty bottles suitable for travel within the guidelines in lots of places Boots, Flying Tiger, B and M, Primark are a few that come to mind.

Trial it out and you wont be caught out! like my friend who had a £90 bottle of perfume confiscated as it was too big ... you can buy it back on the return but it was expensive to do that.

Ps: Rome is lovely
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I have ordered toiletries from Boots online and collected airside. Worked really well.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
You have to fit everything in the bag so 10x100 ml will be tough anyway as the bags are small.

Re the cases. We prefer hard sided cabin bags as they stand up on their own quite happily. Our soft sided ones fell over which was frustrating.
We are having many discussions re soft or hard cases 😀 I was considering soft as they are lighter and will be easier to lift onto overhead racks on the trains. However, DD and DH are saying hard ones will be more stable and hard-wearing. I think we will have to go and try them out instore before we buy (although we will probably buy on Amazon)
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
Yes thats right DD, But you have to be able to close the bag and as previously posted the bag allowances are'nt that big so you can be pushed to fit it all in and still close the bag a roll on deodorant for example with the roller ball.

Many people do buy their items airside but they are usually more expensive and may not always have the brand you like or are used to.

You can buy empty bottles suitable for travel within the guidelines in lots of places Boots, Flying Tiger, B and M, Primark are a few that come to mind.

Trial it out and you wont be caught out! like my friend who had a £90 bottle of perfume confiscated as it was too big ... you can buy it back on the return but it was expensive to do that.

Ps: Rome is lovely
Thanks, I agree 10 bottles would be a push in the plastic bags so we will have to consider which items are the most important to take this way.

I have noticed the bottles are widely available and very cheap so I will get some of those ready for the trip.

We are really looking forward to seeing more of Italy. We visited Venice last year and loved it, so decided then we would return to see more of the country. We couldn’t decide on Rome or Sorrento (we particularly want to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum from there) so we are hoping to spend 4 days in Rome, then 5 in Sorrento.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I have ordered toiletries from Boots online and collected airside. Worked really well.
That’s an excellent idea as these would be usual Boots prices, not inflated airside prices. Certainly seems a good way to get deodorant and toothpaste as even if we don’t use it all on the trip they are inexpensive to leave behind. Thank you for this, I hadn’t realised this was even possible. I’m off to check there’s a Boots in Bristol Airport now 😀
Old 4 Nov 19, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

There doesn’t appear to be a Boots at Bristol, but there is a Superdrug who also have a click and collect service so that will be useful if we can’t get all we need in the bottles/bags for security checks.
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

I have just got back from 9 nights in Hong Kong with just hand luggage. I bought most of my toiletries in boots at Heathrow except three deodorants for O. Can you share toothpaste, shampoo etc? I also used compressed packing cubes - I had 11 t-shirts, two pairs of shorts, a pair of trousers, underwear and a pair of trainers in my roll on. Plus all the toiletries and treats for O! I have a 48l North Face roll on - hard at the back but soft at the front!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
I have just got back from 9 nights in Hong Kong with just hand luggage. I bought most of my toiletries in boots at Heathrow except three deodorants for O. Can you share toothpaste, shampoo etc? I also used compressed packing cubes - I had 11 t-shirts, two pairs of shorts, a pair of trousers, underwear and a pair of trainers in my roll on. Plus all the toiletries and treats for O! I have a 48l North Face roll on - hard at the back but soft at the front!
I definitely think basic toiletries such as shampoo, conditioner and deodorant will be bought at the airport now. Georgia is fussy over the toothpaste and will only use 1 brand which comes in 125g size so I will buy a 30-50ml pot for hers and DH and I will share a tube under 100ml.

I had considered the compressed bags for clothing, but don’t know how I could compress them for the return journey.
Old 4 Nov 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I definitely think basic toiletries such as shampoo, conditioner and deodorant will be bought at the airport now. Georgia is fussy over the toothpaste and will only use 1 brand which comes in 125g size so I will buy a 30-50ml pot for hers and DH and I will share a tube under 100ml.

I had considered the compressed bags for clothing, but don’t know how I could compress them for the return journey.
Mine were zipped ones not the vacuum pack ones. I got them from amazon!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List