Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Mar 21, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I dont mind driving in LA especially if I have time but if it rains or and RTA then you can be stuck for hours. Rain causes all sorts of issues main one being locals unable to drive in it (IMO - sorry dont want to insult any LA locals) !
I was lucky that the weather was perfect
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
I was lucky that the weather was perfect
I think that because driving is poor when it remains pores the pint it rarely rains, in fairness I have l=only known rain twice in LA in all my many many visits . Once wen the trial end of a hurricane swept though (early September ) and was forecasted - I was in SM and wanted to get to Disney but had to give up sue to an RTA and deceit to get the metro to universal. And last time was Dec 2019 - land Dec 23 midday for, I thought, a Utica drive to Palm Springs as no rush hour, the rain was torrential and traffic heavy and slow took over 5 hrs when the journey is often and 2 (sometimes less ) - luckilyI was in I had a pre paid limo and just snoozed off and on.

PS Just did a quick goggle of my date and found this
latimes/california/s...rls-across-l-a

Edited at 04:48 PM. Reason: Added piece from LA Times
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

How safe is the Subway ?

When I went in 2020 it was traveling solo and just got a car without really giving it much thought. I want to go back this year (or as soon as masks go) and take the wife and kids. Trying to work out if to drive / subway / or just taxi it.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

How safe is the Subway ?

When I went in 2020 it was traveling solo and just got a car without really giving it much thought. I want to go back this year (or as soon as masks go) and take the wife and kids. Trying to work out if to drive / subway / or just taxi it.
I will caveat this as a disclaimer that I live in London and used to all sorts so have 6th sense for trouble and a wide bear that to space cadets - I found travelling on the subway the same as the tube and I would recommend it. I didnt use at night/dark and used Lyft when I didnt want to drive or walk as was in my finery (my glittery or furry shoes aren’t made for public transport or walking far in) . I find New York subway more difficult but thats because I find that hard to navigate. LA is very simple and normally very quiet (I think mostly tourists - locals all drive )
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I will caveat this as a disclaimer that I live in London and used to all sorts so have 6th sense for trouble and a wide bear that to space cadets - I found travelling on the subway the same as the tube and I would recommend it. I didnt use at night/dark and used Lyft when I didnt want to drive or walk as was in my finery (my glittery or furry shoes aren’t made for public transport or walking far in) . I find New York subway more difficult but thats because I find that hard to navigate. LA is very simple and normally very quiet (I think mostly tourists - locals all drive )
Thanks for that - gives a good context as I have used both NYC and London. Agree on NYC - I don't rate it.

Thats really good - I wouldn't think twice about taking the kids on the tube etc so will consider it - thanks.
Old 17 Mar 21, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Thanks for that - gives a good context as I have used both NYC and London. Agree on NYC - I don't rate it.

Thats really good - I wouldn't think twice about taking the kids on the tube etc so will consider it - thanks.
You are welcome. Always very welcome to share my extensive experience of California and help where I can
Old 17 Mar 21, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I have to say, and I say it as someone who (in normal times) drives lots for work and doesn’t mind doing so, I hated driving in LA. We may just have been unlucky, but it was the best part of 3 hours to get from LAX to The Tangerine and then over 5 hours to get from LA to Joshua Tree (most of which was getting out of LA) - even when traffic was moving you had to have eyes everywhere because of the standard of driving. It’s the only place in the world I’ve ever felt stressed when driving!

Subway was fine - it was daytime when we used it and our two were 14 and 11 at the time. No different than using the tube, you just need to be aware of your surroundings.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 21, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

I was responding to ILS - I forgot to include their post - fixed.

So for their purposes, considering they wanted a base for Universal, Six Flags and the beach - I think my suggestion is a good one.

I went in Feb 2020 and it took me from Santa Monica around:
  • 45 mins to drive into LA in the morning
  • 1hr mins to drive to Magic Mountain
  • 1hr to drive to Disneyland

LA traffic is incredible but its does move and I found it no more of a challenge in the end than London or any other major cities around the world.

Regardless of what I was doing on a holiday - I would consider having a beach location as my base - doesn't phase me to have to drive 45mins.
Agree. Last 2 times we have visited LA (inc Universal) we've used Santa Monica as a base.

Traffic as anywhere is unpredictable but with planning have never found it any worse than other major cities (distances to cover are what often adds the time).

On our last trip we travelled from Santa Monica to Paramount in Hollywood in 35 mins on a Friday morning at 8am, and the following morning (Sat) took 40 mins to Universal. This was August which has lower than normal traffic volumes.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 21, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

We have also stayed in Burbank. We were opposite the Tangerine in the Best Western Plus Media Center. Free underground parking and included breakfast were a bonus. And the area felt safe to walk around. We left the car at the hotel after we checked out and walked to the Warner Bros Studios before returning later that day to actually leave for our next hotel.

The only down side was that it was our first stop and we were still very jet lagged and once we had been to Universal Studios very early and started to wilt at about 3pm (we had 2 day tickets) we'd return to the hotel and not want to return to US for the evening light show. We might choose to stay onsite next time or leave our US visit until later in the holiday.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List