Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 24 Oct 17, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

Cuban fun...Nearly ended up in Miami!

We were up early but we had over 9 hours sleep! This rum is knocking us out!

Anyway we got ready and had breakfast at la Taberna before heading to the beach for the day.

We set up camp and chilled. The weather was very warm but with quite a breeze. The water was quite choppy and murky today, I thought a storm might be brewing. DH snorkelled and kayaked whilst I read and slept.

We had a mooch around the shops before having lunch at Ranchon on the beach, today I had grilled fish and DH had a hot dog both very nice!

We received an invitation from the DC concierge Rene requesting our company to a meal by the pool this evening which we politely accepted. So glad we visited the local restaurant last night now!

We opted to take a pedalo out but go over to the left, remember I said it was choppy today... It was hard work getting out there and waves were slapping us which made us go all over the place! DH eventually content with a spot he got sorted for a snorkel, it literally was a sheer drop off the coral so he was hoping for some good fish.

He told me to head back as I was not feeling safe, a little out of my depth. I tried believe me I tried! I kept going further towards bloody Miami no matter how hard I tried I did start to panic as no matter what way I steered it didn't seem to work. I screamed for DH who eventually heard and came towards me. He too had struggled as he was hit by a big wave and had swallowed a load of seawater and couldn't get his head above water. I've never seen him so worried and he's adamant he nearly drowned so maybe me not being able to control the boat was a saviour to him? !

We pedalled back to shore and swore we wouldn't go back on another pedalo for a while! Luckily our barman was on the beach so an order of Cuba libres and Pina coladas was put in!

Some locals were selling artwork, leather and wooden gifts was on the beach so we bought some more gifts, a wooden giraffe for ourselves which we've named Julio (Spanish for July).

On our way back to our room we heard loud music from the pool area so we popped over to investigate... There was a pool party! Not any old pool party but one with foam! So we joined in, it was great fun. Our kids were quite impressed when we told them

Tonight not only did we have a special dinner but it was also 'white night' where they was a show and a request for people to dress in white. DH wore blue shorts and a white shirt, I wore a cream/blue striped dress as it was the closest to white I had.

We arrived to the poolside dinner slightly early but we were seated anyway and given a glass of champagne. We were then offered wine to accompany our dinner so we opted for red. There was a local band playing also, it was a beautiful setting.

We ate for starter, breadsticks with Parma ham, baked Camembert and cucumber with soft cheese and salmon. Then we had a crab bisque which was delicious! For main we had lobster, steak, pumpkin and carrots. Pudding was a 'posh' chocolate brownie It was a lovely meal which we were very grateful for.

We watched a lighting storm over the mountain but nothing came of it, though the winds picked up slightly.

After dinner we chatted to a family from Liverpool before heading to the Piano Bar. I sampled a Mary Pickford tonight, very nice

charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 17, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

How frightening on the pedalo - glad you got back safely!

The foam party looks like it was a LOT of fun!

And what a lovely dinner! All in all a great day (well bar the water issue!)!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 17, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you for reading :-)
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List