Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 May 18, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Wembleygal
Imagineer

Wembleygal's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Free upgrades are rare. They normally take place when a plane is oversold. They depend on a series of algorithms, but being a high level member of a Frequent Flyer programme can increase your chances.

My last upgrade was a couple a couple of years ago coming back from Chicago. The very, very rare double upgrade -- from Economy to Club on BA.

I tend to spot celebs in airport lounges, train stations, flights and in New York, Toronto and LA.

Most exciting celeb spotting last year was Eric Idle (in a lounge).

And this year, it would have to be Michael McKean at a film screening.

I once sat behind Lady Ga Ga and her assistant in a lounge.

Edited at 04:51 PM. Reason: added
Wembleygal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 18, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
CardiffBob
Getting Excited

I forgot about this but once flying back from New York our flight was full and we were offered a night in a hotel and an upgrade for a flight the next dayif we wanted it.

We said 'no' as we had to get back to go to work but thinking about it, that might have been the stupidest decision we ever made!

Edited at 05:30 PM.
CardiffBob is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 18, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CardiffBob View Post
I forgot about this but once flying back from New York our flight was full and we were offered a night in a hotel and an upgrade for a flight the next dayif we wanted it.

We said 'no' as we had to get back to go to work but thinking about it, that might have been the stupidest decision we ever made!
JFK to LHR on a Friday is notorious for this. Used to be that the standown incentive was night fly home the next day on Concorde!
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 18, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CardiffBob View Post

This happened to us at San Francisco airport a few years ago. We said no as we also had work but what makes it even worse we were offered a free return flight each to anywhere in America to be used within a year. I still kick myself for refusing.

I have never spotted anyone famous but having said that maybe I have as I have never heard of most of the famous people mentioned on here.

Edited at 05:46 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 18, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

We’ve never had a flight upgrade so no tips I’m afraid.

Not exactly ‘A list’ but in 2016 we saw Richard E Grant in the pharmacy section of Duane Reed in New York. We are usually terrible at noticing famous people, probably don’t pay enough attention, but the area of the shop was really quiet so it was his posh English accent (which sounded so out of place) that caught our attention.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 18, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
nanu
Imagineer

Saw Brendan O'Carroll (Mrs Brown's Boys) at MCO last year with his wife, just got off our Aer Lingus flight. Tom Fletcher (McFly) in Magic Kingdom a few years ago. Johhny Briggs (Mike Baldwin from Corrie) at MCO getting on our Manchester flight and Morrissey at MAN got off our Orlando flight. Many, many moons ago, Ronald Reagan in New York.
1988 New York Penta & Orl. Radisson Maingate 1990 Orl. Marriott I-Drive, Premier Cruise & Cocoa Beach Hilton 1997 Orl. La Suites I-Drive 2002 Orl. Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Las Vegas Luxor 2007 Orl. Port Orleans French Quarter 2010 Orl. Windsor Palms villa 2012 Orl. Rolling Hills villa & RPR Universal 2015 Orl. Indian Creek villa & Naples Bay Resort 2017 Orl. Highlands Reserve villa 2018 Barefoot Beach Resort & Orl. Highgate Park villa
nanu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 18, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

First visit to NYC I saw Kate Hudson in Gap. Another visit we saw Phillip Seymour-Hoffman coming out of a building. We also happened to walk past a theatre stage door and bumped into Ruth Wilson and Jake Gyllenhaal. Then the last time we had the great pleasure of meeting John Owen-Jones who plated Jean Valjean in Les Mis.
No upgrade...
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 18, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Blondie40
Dancing with Tink'

Mark walhberg was staying in the same hotel as my husband and I in New York.

We saw Jedward going round Times Square in a Glass double decker coach 😂. Justin Beiber was performing early one morning outside for a radio show. Coming home Joss Stone was sitting on the floor in the airport playing her guitar.
Blondie40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 18, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I've never had a flight upgrade but funnily enough on my first ever trip to New York we were on the same flight as Alex Ferguson. We saw him at both Manchester airport and JFK.

I am a City fan so I was less than amused ha.
TigerLily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 18, 01:27 AM  
Link to this Post
sizzle
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 11
Mobile

Never seen anyone famous in America but have seen Liam Neeson in London. However we did get a free upgrade to BA’s premium on outward journey to Toronto this week due to a change of plane so less economy seats on the plane. Now waiting for our return flight and haven’t been so lucky unfortunately!