Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 Dec 20, 02:30 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
Companies no longer give ‘bad’ references; too much room for litigation etc if the ex-employee disputes the info, a new potential employer makes a decision based on info that is biased or incorrect etc.
I recall that companies began sending references that simply state that you worked for them from x date to x date around 10-15 years ago.
In a previous job around 20 years ago, I recall reading guidance (from HR?) that whilst previous employers were unlikely to provide ‘bad’ references anymore, a response from a previous employer that they would prefer not to provide a reference was the equivalent of a ‘bad’ reference.
As long as it is factual and correct stating a dismissal on a reference is not a bad reference.

Though more companies are just providing a basic reference but then it is very easy to dismiss these days during a probation period
Old 31 Dec 20, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
You’re correct, but I was going on the assumption that he would have taken someone unless they hadn’t informed him of the opportunity. Plus anyone facing disciplinary action should be informed in writing before a hearing.
He wasn’t informed in writing just told he was suspended on full pay and to come in next day to find out why. He went to the meeting and was told it was about the conversation nothing else mentioned but yesterday he was told that due to this disciplinary they looked back at his record and decided to sack him for whatever happened in January and March. They say he will get a letter in 14 days
daisymae is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

My son worked at a petrol station and got blamed when someone drove off without paying, and another time the till was down a tenner. I can't remember if he was let go or if he left because of the implication he had taken it.
Second son rung in sick when his Grandad died suddenly and then found he was replaced and let go because it was his second time off sick in a few weeks.
Both were horrid experiences in their early twenties and seemed very unfair. However they were life lessons, and several years later both have responsible public sector jobs.
Your son doesn't need to mention the situation on his cv, and employers only ever confirm you worked there and not the reason for leaving.
Has he paid enough National Insurance to qualify for contribution based JSA. It'll be through Universal Credit if so, he can do an application online which will soon tell him if he is entitled.
93 94 03 2023 DLP

Edited at 10:19 AM.
JudyC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 20, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daisymae View Post
He wasn’t informed in writing just told he was suspended on full pay and to come in next day to find out why. He went to the meeting and was told it was about the conversation nothing else mentioned but yesterday he was told that due to this disciplinary they looked back at his record and decided to sack him for whatever happened in January and March. They say he will get a letter in 14 days
Well that is not good practice. It could be unfair or wrongful dismissal depending how long he has been there.

There are plenty of employers who will state that someone was dismissed

Edited at 11:27 AM.
lizzie145 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
limmy
Imagineer

limmy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
How old is he? I left my chefs job as they owed me a lot of money and didn't pay me. I just took up temping in a Warehouse to tide us over and its actually not as bad as I thought it would be. We have a load of young lads working for us and its a universal wage of around 22k per yesr for 40h a week with paid breaks. If he needs work fast it's an industry that shouldn't be affected by covid and they need people everywhere due to online shopping increases.
DCL 2019
limmy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
Well that is not good practice. It could be unfair or wrongful dismissal depending how long he has been there.

There are plenty of employers who will state that someone was dismissed
It doesn’t seem that he was ever given written physical warnings but I’m not sure if he had to sign a document though, he’s in a really bad place at the moment but I’ll ask him. He has worked there for 4 years. He also wasn’t given anything in writing about the meeting and I feel this was on purpose as he was basically told that they were investigating the current complaint and when his colleagues were back at work immediately he thought that he would be also as he wasn’t actually directly involved. I think if he got the opportunity to resign that would be better for him mentally. I do think they only give basic references even when leaving on good terms.
daisymae is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

Originally Posted by limmy View Post
How old is he? I left my chefs job as they owed me a lot of money and didn't pay me. I just took up temping in a Warehouse to tide us over and its actually not as bad as I thought it would be. We have a load of young lads working for us and its a universal wage of around 22k per yesr for 40h a week with paid breaks. If he needs work fast it's an industry that shouldn't be affected by covid and they need people everywhere due to online shopping increases.
He would happily take any job but looking through the internet there is absolutely nothing available. We haven’t come across any warehouse type jobs, I’m not sure how you would go about getting anything like that here there is not a lot of big warehouses companies as we live in north of Scotland. I think from next week he will start looking at every possibility but it’s going to be really difficult for him.
Old 1 Jan 21, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Can he get himself signed up with an agency. Some deal with warehousing jobs. I'd say to consider all options though, it's not easy but there are jobs out there. Totally different but my DH has started a new job with HMRC via an agency. Strangely he kept getting turned down for ware house roles and supermarket jobs. But now he has a job in the civil service on a temp contract for now.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

If he has been there for 4 years he does have rights. Perhaps he should get a letter sent pointing out that the correct procedure were not followed and he is seeking further advice regarding the matter. I would be furious if he was my child. If he had done something really bad, then let him take the consequences, but this seems so ridiculous! Unfair dismissal is the route for him after 4 yrars, but acas will advise him, they are working from home but still giving out good solid advice xxx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Have his employers followed their own disciplinary procedures ?
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List