Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 5 Jan 21, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Rickycpk89
Gone all Goofy

Buying Golf Clubs

Hi

I am booked to go in August and still hopeful that we will be allowed to travel by then.

I am thinking of buying some new golf clubs while I was in
Florida and just wondering what peoples opinions are on the following:

Are the clubs generally cheaper or maybe am I likely to get better clubs compared to the price I would pay in the UK?

How easy is it to get them home? Would I also need to buy a Golf Travel Case or would a store potentially box them up?

Where is the best place to get them?

Thanks
Rickycpk89 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

DH says it depends on what you are buying and the exchange rate
Stores will box them for travel but he wouldn’t advice just using the box to bring them home he has a soft travel golf cover
They need to be brought back as part of your allowance or paid for airline dependent
Dicks Sporting goods or Golf Smith to buy but there are a few stores going towards the outlets on IDrive to try as well
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

Both me and DH have bought golf clubs over there. When I bought mine, many years ago now in Myrtle Beach, I traded my old set in, so the new set just replaced my old ones in my bag. My DH only bought irons and he ended up with 2 sets in his bag coming back.

Are you planning on taking your clubs with you? If you are I would recommend a good quality travel bag to put them in. We usually fly Virgin PE, so our golf clubs were 1 of the 2 bags you are allowed. I normally put a couple of pairs of trainers in the bag as well, so taking them can have its advantages.

If you're not taking your clubs with you, you will need to book the extra piece of luggage coming back. If you buy a full set over there they will probably come packaged in a box, so that will be enough to transport them back (I would still wrap some bubble wrap around them though). Golf clubs don't go with the suitcases, they go with the wheel chairs and push chairs.

If you are taking your existing clubs with you, consider trading them in like I did, and just replace them for your old ones in your bag.

As for the cost, they used to be better value over there, but that was years ago, I'm not sure anymore. It will probably be best to do your research before you go. Dicks Sporting Goods and Edwin Watts are good but you probably wont get a bargain there. There are loads of golf outlet stores in Orlando, but it depends on how much time you have to visit them. It might be best to have good idea of what you want before you go, other you will waste hours looking.

You will probably get a better deal online in the UK, trouble is at the moment you cant go and test out new clubs at the driving range. American Golf is my favourite, some stores are based at driving ranges and they will let you try out new clubs, they just tape the heads up.
Old 5 Jan 21, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Rickycpk89
Gone all Goofy

Thanks for the advice, I think I will price up what I am looking for here and only buy there if I see a bargain. Some good tips on trading my old set in, was planning on taking them and not wanting to bring 2 back...
Rickycpk89 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 21, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
coinneach
Imagineer

I think the cheaper option now would be to buy here. The exchange rate certainly doesn't help and also the possibility of paying extra baggage on the trip home.
The other advantage is that you can get fitted here rather than buying off the shelf.
coinneach is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 21, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
nhyw
Very Serious Dibber

nhyw's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 10
It is also possible to get fitted here and then buy in the US. You can order them online for delivery when you arrive, but to be honest with the current exchange rate there is no advantage to doing this.

Windsor Hills Retreat Luxury Vacation Home
Located at Windsor Hills Resort, Kissimmee, Florida
www.windsorhillsretreat.com
Luxury 6 Bedroom, 4 Bathroom Home with South Facing Pool, Spa and Games Room
Click here to see our Dibb advert or for more photos see our website
State of Florida Resort Dwelling License no. #DWE5917028
nhyw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List