Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jan 21, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
This was our cabin. We had it all insulated and everything. It had a bedroom, shower room and living/kitchen. It was lived in for a couple years before we moved, as the windows and doors were often open in nice weather we had spiders.

I miss my cabin and the spiders lol

Just keep it closed up, mind you I've heard conkers put it the corners of rooms help, I don't know if it true though 😊
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dismamx2 View Post
That sounds really lovely and something nice to plan and look forward to

I got it for a little chill out space away from the house for dd's 18 & 21, where they can hang out with friends (when not in lockdown). DD 18 uses it most days for online uni now. Ours is 3m x 5m, roughly 10ft x 16.5ft. I didn't do anything paint wise with inside yet as I do like the natural wood. We put a laminate floor in (mainly for easy cleaning of spillages of alcoholic beverages from young adults ). Outside we used Sikkens stain, recommended by the log cabin company, 1 coat of undercoat and 2 additional coats of stain. Because it was October when we got it done, they recommend we do another coat in spring/summer but we'll do that ourselves from now on.

We have an Ikea sofabed, bench table set, tv and mini fridge etc, with lots of cushions & throws, so far so good, no critters. It was done with last years holiday funds and I think it was a good investment (don't think my girls are going anywhere for a while lol). Just waiting for spring now to tackle the rest of the garden, it was too late in the year after this was finished.

Sorry for waffling on, good luck with your new cabin
Hey you're not waffling! Thanks for your reply, gives me ideas! (wonder if we SHOULD go for insulation or not?
And I LOVE your photos!
Your cabin is beautiful!
Ours will have either a sofa or two comfy chairs (For hubby and I, as our now young adult lads still living at home already have an insulated proper room within our detached double garage, one son plays drums in there and it is pretty soundproof! And I get you about beverage spillages and flooring! )

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
My sister had a log cabin built in bottom of her gardens last year (Yorkshire) and its spider proof (insulated, double glazed, log burner etc and has power and water/drainage) as my BIL has a fear of spiders (as do I) also have 2 cats so no spiders stand a chance. So far so good and I cant wait to visit post covid
Sounds great and high spec!
Our dogs are useless and frankly lazy with spiders, might try a bit harder if a cat came to live here!

Originally Posted by enjibenji View Post
This was our cabin. We had it all insulated and everything. It had a bedroom, shower room and living/kitchen. It was lived in for a couple years before we moved, as the windows and doors were often open in nice weather we had spiders.

I miss my cabin and the spiders lol

Just keep it closed up, mind you I've heard conkers put it the corners of rooms help, I don't know if it true though 😊
Oh that's just lovely! Not on the scale we are planning though, but you had yours looking great! I can see their use if you need a new bedroom
Ours will just be a little place for hubby and myself to spend longer enjoying the scenery out in the garden as dusk draws in after being out in the garden during the day

Edited at 11:06 PM.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Friends of ours have a corner one, 1 side is a bar and the other is her sewing room, they are nice to have for the extra room/space.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I'd like to talk to you about my new cult.
I call it Devotees of Dettol.

No seriously, one of my biggest concerns about living alone was dealing with the spiders. Unfortunately I've purchased the house that Aragog chose to breed in. Honestly I swear they wear work boots.

Anyway, this year on a whim I decided to wash my floors with dettol. Over spider season, I usually average 3 or 4 beasts a week. I had three in total. One before mopping, one in the kitchen after I had spilled something and wiped up with a sweet smelling Method cleaner and the third in the carpeted spare room (the window had been opened).

I truly believe there's something in the stuff that puts them right off. I've tried all kinds of deterrents previously. Last season was the best I've had. Then again, maybe they were throwing me a bone after 2020. Who knows
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

This our barbecue house. Very thick walls and door. We do occasionally get spiders in there, but it’s not too bad. It’s probably my fault as I don’t clean it very often I might give the dettol a try though.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Originally Posted by princess allie View Post

This our barbecue house. Very thick walls and door. We do occasionally get spiders in there, but it’s not too bad. It’s probably my fault as I don’t clean it very often I might give the dettol a try though.
They probably warm and snuggly in there 😊
Old 25 Jan 21, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wee_Red View Post
I'd like to talk to you about my new cult.
I call it Devotees of Dettol.

No seriously, one of my biggest concerns about living alone was dealing with the spiders. Unfortunately I've purchased the house that Aragog chose to breed in. Honestly I swear they wear work boots.

Anyway, this year on a whim I decided to wash my floors with dettol. Over spider season, I usually average 3 or 4 beasts a week. I had three in total. One before mopping, one in the kitchen after I had spilled something and wiped up with a sweet smelling Method cleaner and the third in the carpeted spare room (the window had been opened).

I truly believe there's something in the stuff that puts them right off. I've tried all kinds of deterrents previously. Last season was the best I've had. Then again, maybe they were throwing me a bone after 2020. Who knows
Ooooh interesting!
I do usually have Dettol in the house - may be well worth a bash with it!

Glad to hear Aragog and his mates seem to have done a moonlight flit from yours though!
I do hope they aren't moving to Scotland anywhere near me though!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by princess allie View Post

That's a bit posh! Very nice! I love the wood and the high ceilings