Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 25 Jan 21, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

I have only seen 3 episodes so far, i have previously seen "queer as folk "(which i absolutely LOVED )...but find this depressing and a little OTT,...I will watch the rest though..
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Loobylou_82 View Post
I watched the first episode with my gay son, we throughly enjoyed it. He couldn't believe the way people were 40 years ago and how unacceptable being gay was. I didn't know anyone gay when I was growing up and didn't realise then that families would disown their own children for being gay. Thankfully society has wised up, though there still are some ignorant people out there. When anyone asks me about my children , I always say I have 3 children, one of each, a boy, a girl and a gay. Love them all unconditional.
I'm looking to watching with my daughter- who is gay. I got upset at work recently when a colleague said she would be "gutted" if her only daughter turned out to be gay. I'm not gutted- I'm extremely happy that my daughter has been brought up to know she can tell me and her dad anything including telling us she was gay, we love her no matter what.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida1990
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by disney_l81 View Post
I'm looking to watching with my daughter- who is gay. I got upset at work recently when a colleague said she would be "gutted" if her only daughter turned out to be gay. I'm not gutted- I'm extremely happy that my daughter has been brought up to know she can tell me and her dad anything including telling us she was gay, we love her no matter what.
Isn’t that insensitive...I have two boys and would not bat an eyelid if they said they were gay, I just want them to be happy, loved and able to be themselves with us all as a family..in this century to say they would be ‘ gutted’ is really sad..good on you and your daughter, loving relationships win every time..❤️❤️
Florida1990 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by macdonald View Post
I have only seen 3 episodes so far, i have previously seen "queer as folk "(which i absolutely LOVED )...but find this depressing and a little OTT,...I will watch the rest though..
It was originally 8 Episodes but much got cut onto the editing floor (I believe the author wasnt happy about it being shortened so much) - I hope somewhere an full unabridged version exists and can be available online
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

That’s a horrible attitude - and that’s the tragedy isn’t it .So many people have lived a life unfulfilled so that they don’t upset their families or worry about others attitude ,
I’d much rather I’d raised my child to be true to themselves and live their own lives and much rather they were in same sex relationship where they were happy than in a straight one where they were miserable .
Good for you - you sound like a lovely family .
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

My ex-husbands partner told my daughter the same thing, fortunately they split up soon after, but I was so mad about it.
I also have two teenage boys who are too shy to tell me yet about any girlfriends or as I repeatedly tell them, boyfriends! They get cross with me but I hope they know that if that's how they feel they can tell me with no worries.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

My daughter lives a very happy loving life with her wife

I remember when she told us she was a lesbian people saying they felt 'sorry' for me and her Dad! Why? I have a beautiful caring honest and caring daughter
Old 25 Jan 21, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

This attitude from people makes me so sad Our boys are only 9 but we've made it very clear to them, even from a young age, that we want them to be open with us and we will love them unconditionally. I see so many people unhappily married and that would make me far more 'gutted'. I just want them to love, be loved and be happy in life.
loola30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

We watched this series at the weekend, being huge Pet Shop Boys fans we are very familiar with Olly Alexander’s work through acting and his band Years and Years as they are closely affiliated.

I personally found it brought out emotions in me I didn’t know I had. It was heartwarming and heartbreaking and quite overwhelming at times to see how badly we (society) treated these young men.
Our son is gay. He’s 19 and told us when he was 16. He’s away at uni at the moment but I’ve told him he must watch it. I thought Keely Hawes as the mum was fascinating and I did wonder who that character was based on.

I’m very thankful we live in times that are a lot more progressive now. I still remember through working in a bank in the early 90’s, those questions on a mortgage application!

Throughly enjoyed it
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by nasty View Post
We watched this series at the weekend, being huge Pet Shop Boys fans we are very familiar with Olly Alexander’s work through acting and his band Years and Years as they are closely affiliated.

I personally found it brought out emotions in me I didn’t know I had. It was heartwarming and heartbreaking and quite overwhelming at times to see how badly we (society) treated these young men.
Our son is gay. He’s 19 and told us when he was 16. He’s away at uni at the moment but I’ve told him he must watch it. I thought Keely Hawes as the mum was fascinating and I did wonder who that character was based on.

I’m very thankful we live in times that are a lot more progressive now. I still remember through working in a bank in the early 90’s, those questions on a mortgage application!

Throughly enjoyed it
I thought the Keely portrayal of the Mum was unbelievable. Also how the relationship with the Dad changed and how influential she was. I was dreading the Dad’s reaction when they found out but he was actually not what I expected.
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List