Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Aug 20, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Tell me about employing a cleaner...

We have a 4 bedroom home and need to employ someone to help out once or twice a week to do a bunch of things...

Clean the kitchen
Mop the floors in kitchen hall and utility
Hoover stairs
Clean Bathrooms
Strip beds and put bedding in the wash
Dust the living room

Never done this before, no idea how it works, how much it costs or how to go about it.

Ideas, experiences and advice would be a great help.

Thanks
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Mobile

I have a cleaner once a week for our 4 bed, 3 bath home. We have three hours which was fine pre pandemic as the three of us were hardly here however, now we’re home a lot more I’m thinking of increasing to 4.

We use a local agency who can provide cover for sickness and holiday but our current cleaner we’ve had a year and she’s excellent. The last one don’t go there! We pay £13 an hour.
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks Tinkerbell. I'm a bit unsure of having a stranger in the home with keys etc. I guess I just need to get over myself and give it a go, Perhaps better to use an agency than someone from the village (just in case it doesn't go well)?
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
We pay £12 per hour.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Kidd McFluff View Post
Thanks Tinkerbell. I'm a bit unsure of having a stranger in the home with keys etc. I guess I just need to get over myself and give it a go, Perhaps better to use an agency than someone from the village (just in case it doesn't go well)?
We have a Yale digital lock so just set it for an hour on Wednesday morning so she can access. It wouldn’t work at any other time. I didn’t fancy giving keys out either.
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

What kind of stuff can be done within a couple of hours? Is my list reasonable?
Old 30 Aug 20, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
TartanTink
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I have someone who does 3 hrs a week, we pay £13 an hour. I have a 4 bed house sometimes I pay for an extra couple of hrs and she does the inside of the windows or a deeper clean. We use an agency so I get holiday and sickness cover.

Tartan Tink
TartanTink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I had a girl pre Covid £13 per hour for 2 hrs per week. If I left ironing (she loved ironing I hated it!) She would get ironing done and downstairs done so kitchen, hoover, polish, downstairs bathroom and floors. If I had no ironing she did whole house. Absolutely loved coming home from work on a Thursday!
Old 30 Aug 20, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We have 3 hrs a fortnight. We are only a family of three but three bathrooms and a huge kitchen. We pay £13 an hour. I’d get some local recommendations- finding a good cleaner isn’t easy!
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
fissycist
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We have had various cleaners over the years since I returned to work after maternity leave with my first daughter 18 years ago.
We have had good and bad. I think it works best to use an agency because then you have back-up for holidays etc.
We have a fantastic lady now whom comes from a small local agency.
The manager of the agency actually visited the house to estimate how longer a cleaner would need to do the work we wanted her to do.
We put feelers out to a few companies but the one we picked was the most interested in supplying services to us.
fissycist is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List