Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 30 Aug 20, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
meggy
Imagineer

meggy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Help with mobile phone signal please

I live in a lovely Cotswold village, problem is I am lucky if I get 1 bar on mobile phone. It's nigh on impossible to use phone at home, I usually don't receive text or messages until I go out somewhere and am out of the village.

This is getting more of an issue with so many online places wanting to text you a number before you can log in or pay for something

I am a dinasour with techy things but have looked at me Google to see if there is anything I can get to boost signal indoors. There appears some items ranging in price. I do not want to spend a small fortune, hoping really for a miracle item I can just plug in and would improve reception.

Any ideas for me ( other than to move) !

Thanks.
meggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

If you have good broadband you can connect to WiFi call. This depends on your mobile provider and how upto date your phone is. I know three and vodaphone have WiFi calls as our mobile signal is poor. It just diverts call via WiFi and doesn’t miss a beat.
Also a few friends of mine use wots app to call me. Which again is really good.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Have you tried other neighbours to see what networks there on and what there reception is like.
My parent live in a village only 3 miles from me and there in a dead spot for reception. I have To go outside for reception and even then it's poor.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
meggy
Imagineer

meggy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Trusty ian View Post
Have you tried other neighbours to see what networks there on and what there reception is like.
My parent live in a village only 3 miles from me and there in a dead spot for reception. I have To go outside for reception and even then it's poor.
will do this just to be sure.
meggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Put your post code in and see what this says is best.
signalchecker/?gcl... oChOAQAvD_BwE
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

Good advice from Ian, there are only 4 mobile network providers in the UK, all others piggyback off existing masts so you need to check those 4 to find the best, and then if you want you can always go with a different provider if needed who use the same network (i.e. Tesco piggyback off O2, so if O2 is stated as good in your area then Tesco will be exactly the same signal quality).

Allergy-Friendly Food Report 2015
stan_the_man is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 20, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Agree to check the other providers, see if there's any difference. I had to switch providers earlier in the year when signal went downhill in my area.

Site above is a good start but I'd either ask around locally (neighbours, Facebook groups, etc) or pick up some of the PAYG sims and test them out. You can normally order them for free from their websites, or pick them up cheaply in supermarkets or pound shops.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 20, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Ladyshopper
Imagineer

We get barely any signal here (newbuild estate and no providers seem to get signal). We're with 3 and contacted them, they sent us a free signal booster box which worked really well.
Ladyshopper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 20, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Who is your current provider and what phone do you use?
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 20, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
If you have good broadband you can connect to WiFi call. This depends on your mobile provider and how upto date your phone is. I know three and vodaphone have WiFi calls as our mobile signal is poor. It just diverts call via WiFi and doesn’t miss a beat.
Also a few friends of mine use wots app to call me. Which again is really good.
While this is perfect for cals it will not help with the old fashioned SMS text messages that the OP is referring to

Like said above, see what your neighbours are on and if they get better service from another network, swap.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List