Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Dec 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Biopsy results are in. Update post #79

My mum has suspected cervical cancer, she visited her GP about a month ago now with severe abdominal pain and continual heavy bleeding (she’s 66) she was referred to A&E where they diagnosed UTI and sent her home with antibiotics. Two weeks later she was still bleeding and in pain so went back to the GP who called an ambulance and transferred her back to A&E where she was given an ultrasound scan which showed a shadow and she was referred to an oncologist and an appointment made for a colposcopy a couple of days later to get a biopsy. She was also prescribed tablets to try and control the heavy bleeding. Unfortunately they were unable to complete this as there was a blockage, therefore Mum had it completed last week under general anaesthetic (last Tuesday).
Yesterday she went for a CT scan of her chest and pelvis and MRI scan (I’m presuming of her bones) they completed the CT scan and said there is something showing (didn’t say where or how large?) and were unable to complete the MRI as mum was getting stressed. They then said the biopsy results from last week could take up to 3 weeks to come through?!
She now has no further appointment with her consultant and has no idea what happens next, she is still bleeding heavily. I am not stupid and I know this doesn’t look good at all but we were hoping to at least have some idea of what the situation is before Xmas next week. I’m concerned that nothing will happen now until the new year and it’s all taking so much time. Is 3 weeks a reasonable time for biopsy results?
My mum and dad (dad is 77 and is not coping well at all with this) don’t live local to me (I live in Worcester they live in Stoke and are currently in tier 3) so it’s hard to find out exactly what’s is going on. I’ve told them to ring the consultant again
Today and chase this but I don’t think they will.
Any advice greatly appreciated, I’m pulling my hair out at the moment with it all and I’m so worried about both my mum and dad.

Edited at 12:14 AM.
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 20, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi, I've had 3 biopsies done over the last couple of months and they said minimum of 2 weeks. I had to chase 2 up as first one was inconclusive. First one 6 weeks and the second 3 weeks, also they post them out by second class post. I would chase them for her, the ladies I spoke to have had to give the consultants a nudge. Good luck and I hope all ok. 🙏
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 20, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Get on to the Secretary of the Consultant your mum saw and ask questions regarding a result/consultant appointment. Don't be fobbed off. Be extremely nice and say how concerned you are as our mum is not doing well mentally waiting to find out what is happening. If no joy there straight away then get in touch with PALS at the hospital and tell them what is happening (you can call or email) they will liaise for you if necessary.
If you can get your mum to ring McMillan's they are really supportive even if you do not have a Cancer diagnosis but are concerned that they may have.
Old 16 Dec 20, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Thank you. I’ve phoned the hospital and spoken to the oncologist secretary. She said they are hoping to get the Histology results on Monday and will contact Mum then to make an appointment for her to go in next Wednesday (Christmas Eve!) to discuss the results and any further treatment options
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 20, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Glad to hear that you've managed to get in touch with them and there is a plan in place!

Just wanted to add that usually biopsies can take some time, depending on how complex they are. What I've been told is that it takes time to transport sample to the histology lab, for the histology lab to turn the samples into sections, for stains to be done, for the histopathologist to read the slides. The histopathologist may then order additional stains depending on what they see on the slides and the clinical history, which will then take additional time.

(Where I am we usually say a couple of weeks for biopsy results, usually it is much faster but sometimes it really does take some time for biopsy results to come through!)
Old 16 Dec 20, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

So sorry to read this. My father was diagnosed with C back in October. He waited 2 weeks for the results biopsy results. I think that that period was so hard, waiting without a plan or any direction. Once a plan has bee out together, if necessary, then you will feel like progress is being made.

I have fingers crossed for you all x

Edit to add that I have just read your update. Glad you made the call
whlparkstone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 20, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Update : Dad had to phone an ambulance for Mum yesterday as she was experiencing severe heavy bleeding and was in quite a lot of pain. She’s been admitted to an assessment unit where they have prescribed tablets for the bleeding (which hasn’t helped yet) and medication to control the pain. She’s currently waiting to see a consultant.
It’s realistically not looking good and I’m honestly expecting the worst diagnosis given her current symptoms but at least once we know we can start to deal with any prognosis and treatment plan.
Old 20 Dec 20, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

sorry to hear your update , I did have to wait weeks for biopsy results and phoned pals to make a complaint as they cancelled my results appointment 2 hours before then i heard nothing. The doctor eventually rang and said my breast lump was thankfully not cancerous and said he would send me a letter to confirm , that phone call was made beginning of September and letter came 2 weeks ago!
I do hope your mum gets treated for whatever it is immediately, i had cervical cancer many years ago so can imagine the worry your mum and your family are going through . Fingers crossed for you all.
Old 20 Dec 20, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I am so sorry to read this.
She is in the best place right now but I know that won't ease your concerns. It must be even harder dealing with all this at a distance.

I hope you are able to get a clear diagnosis quickly and a forward plan for your mum and some support in place for your dad and you shortly.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 20, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
So so sorry to hear 🤗
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List