Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Dec 20, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
FLORIDAMUM3
Excited about Disney

Need a new car..any recommendations?

Think we need to call it quits with our old car. Paying £££'s for repairs now so going to bite the bullet and look for a new car. Needs to be reliable and spacious, kids in the back (no car seats). Any recommendations and also what is best, a lease or buy with car finance? Not able to afford to buy anything outright. Any words of wisdom much appreciated!

Edited at 05:26 PM.
FLORIDAMUM3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 20, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
caro
Excited about Disney

I have a PCP contract on a brand new Dacia Duster. It costs £187 a month and includes servicing. My version has all the bells and whistles, but you can can get the entry level for much cheaper. I love it! One of the best cars I've ever had. My 6ft 4 husband finds it small, but for 5ft 8 me it's perfect. Kids have plenty of room in the back.

My last car was a Ford Grand CMAX which I bought on a 0% deal (Pay 50%, pay the rest over 5 years interest free) great if you have a large deposit. It was a year old when I got it. Loved the car, but Ford customer service was horrific. Huge amount of room in the thing. Very comfortable in the back seats.

I've had many cars over the years and prefer to have a newer one due to reliability and options in case things do go wrong. I had a brand new Fiat once which broke down almost immediately due to a failed fuel pump, I was picked up by the AA and the garage sorted it within a few days. Things often do go wrong with brand new cars, you just have that confidence that it'll be sorted with the least hassle on your part.

I have also had many older cars that have ended up costing me more than my newer ones due to things going wrong. I bought an old Freelander once. Amazing family car. Loads of room, huge boot space. Paid cash due to a small lottery win. Loved the car, but my God was it a money pit! Ended up costing me a small fortune then had to scrap it when the head gasket went for the second time.

These days, I prefer a PCP contract because I like to change my car before the MOT is due. It means you never actually own the car, but for me it's hassle free motoring.
caro is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I’ve got a Hyundai Tucson on PCP. Great rear leg room (so the kids tell me), and DH doesn’t mind it either (he normally loathes my cars). It’s an automatic, and I love it. Last car was a Ford CMax, but the kids moaned about the rear leg room when DH was driving.
Old 19 Dec 20, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

We have a Kia Nero on lease and we love it. It's due to go back in August and I wish we had taken it over 4 years instead of 3 as I don't want to think about handing it back.

We had no deposit to put down on it due to being totally screwed on a PCP deal on our previous car with Nissan so we pay more a month because of this but DH pays so I can't say how much.

It's really roomy in the back and the boot space works really well for us. It's nippy (even nipper in sport mode) and really economical.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 20, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

DH has has a Kia Sportage- he likes it
Old 19 Dec 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi in reality what’s your budget to start with
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 20, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have a skoda karoq on pcp has all the bells and whistles love it. Great family car.

Edited at 11:10 PM.
Ciano is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 20, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
FLORIDAMUM3
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi in reality what’s your budget to start with
I'd like to keep monthly payments below £250 if possible.
Thanks for all the suggestion everyone, away to have a look at these suggestions. With the PCP do you have to take out any extra insurance?
Old 19 Dec 20, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

I’ve JUst ordered a Škoda Superb IV estate PHEV
So big and no car has a bigger rear passenger cabin
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,

Edited at 01:08 PM.
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 20, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by FLORIDAMUM3 View Post
I'd like to keep monthly payments below £250 if possible.
Thanks for all the suggestion everyone, away to have a look at these suggestions. With the PCP do you have to take out any extra insurance?
with a PCP it may be worth looking at gap insurance to cover any shortfall should the car ever be declared a total loss after an accident

don't buy the dealer gap as they tend to be expensive and can be found much much cheaper. look on moneysaving expert for suggestions on gap insurance
force ten is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List