Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Dec 20, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

Son been fired

Just wanting a bit advice over what to do next about my son. He has been fired from his job. I think it’s been an accumulation of things but he had a written warning for something in January and this time he was accused with 2 others of having a very inappropriate conversation which although he was close to the other two they agreed he wasn’t part of the conversation. The other two have been given a final warning, he has been sacked. He had no representation I honestly think he thought it would be a final warning. What should he do now in terms of benefits I presume there is the chance he will get nothing for at least 13 weeks, he has savings to keep him going but how do you even get a job after being fired. Do you be honest about it. He worked for McDonalds and I think they only give basic references but I presume it would be on there that he was fired. I fear he’ll never get another job especially in this current climate and am so worried. Please don’t reply with he deserves everything he gets, he accepts that this is the outcome and hopefully it will be a very hard lesson that he learns.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

We never say someone was fired, just that they worked for us from X date to Y date.
Old 30 Dec 20, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Sorry I can't help but I can understand your worry.
I will say that although he was fired, he hasn't got a record, so he will get another job. I assume he is quite young - we live and learn.
It's probably worth contacting the employer to see what they will say on a reference so he knows what to expect x
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Just to add that every company I have worked for would never say someone was fired. As above they just provide facts like dates worked from and to, salary, job title. He may be asked to provide a personal reference - that person may of course be asked if they would hire him - does he have someone that could provide a personal reference if he is asked for one?
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry to hear this.
My son was in the same position a few years ago but he got on with his life, eventually went to Uni, graduated and now works for the NHS doing something he enjoys. He's in IT so all a foreign language to me 😏
Old 30 Dec 20, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

The person(s) who made the allegation regards an inappropriate conversation must have named him as being involved. I would not suggest you go into detail on here but even if he didn't say anything at all but was present during the incident, the victim might for instance have said he was smiling, smirking or even laughing at what was said by those who made the inappropriate comments then that wouldn't have done him any favours (my point is that he didn't have to have said anything to have been complicit in the incident) so if that was the case then that wouldn't have helped his cause. The fact that he was already on a written warning and you mentioned there was an accumulation of things then that might have been the final straw hence his dismissal.

Edited at 07:10 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

I wouldn't have thought that over hearing an inappropriate conversation was a sacking offence. I think I would be looking into this further, especially as the two lads concerned said he wasn't participating. After all you can be in a room but not in the conversation. I would like to speak to a manager or someone in authority about it.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Being open and honest is the best way forward as the employer may state he was dismissed ( they wont give the detail) as it is a fact.
He needs to learn from his mistakes and show any potential employer he wont make the same mistake again
Old 30 Dec 20, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Not having any representation will be in breach of company policy. Unfortunately I’m not in a position to be able to give any advice on how to take it further. ACAS may be able to assist.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m not saying this is the case, but he may have left out some details. Personally I would just move on.