Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Jun 17, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Drat
slightly serious Dibber

Footwear for Morten's Neuroma

Does anyone have Morten's Neuroma? What summer footwear would you recommend, and also walking footwear like trainers? It seems like everything causes pain; I don't wear, and rarely ever wore, high heels so I know that isn't the cause. I need to increase my activity levels but the thought of trying to do more with this pain is stopping me.
Any recommendations and tips would be most gratefully received! Thanks.
Old 27 Jun 17, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Hi there

Oh dear, I know how that is

I got this when I was pregnant and had 2 years of absolute hell afterwards not being able to walk comfortably, I was back and forward to many podiatrists NHS and private, who all gave me different insoles to wear in my shoes, I hated using the insoles, so bulky and ugly, all these insoles made no difference, some made it worse! I had to wear frumpy lace up shoes, was unable to wear sandals or flip flops or pretty ballerina style shoes. It was awful
I was offered an operation which I didn't fancy at all. I'd read of nerve damage after it.

In the end I ended up solving the my problem very simply myself.
I simply switched to wearing wider shoes

Sounds silly but the problem (for me anyway) was whenever I wore any shoes which constricted my forefoot / toe area widthways brought on the horrible pain.
I can now wear sandals, flip flops, anything as long as they are wider fit across the toe area. I don't wear high heels anymore but that's no big deal for me.
I never had to have the operation, but I know it's an option if I need it in the future if the pain comes back.

Perhaps try some proper wide fitting footwear and see if the pain is relieved? Worth a shot. Good luck.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Drat View Post
Does anyone have Morten's Neuroma? What summer footwear would you recommend, and also walking footwear like trainers? It seems like everything causes pain; I don't wear, and rarely ever wore, high heels so I know that isn't the cause. I need to increase my activity levels but the thought of trying to do more with this pain is stopping me.
Any recommendations and tips would be most gratefully received! Thanks.
My GP once thought I had this and sent me to see a podiatrist who subsequently sent me for a scan, when I went to see her she commented that the shoes I was wearing were ideal to help, they were Hotter and like the second poster said they were wide around the toes/ front of foot, my pain eventually went with exercises and wearing sensible shoes!
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Drat
slightly serious Dibber

Thank you both. Yes, it's an awful condition, and I agree about the insoles! Most of my footwear is quite wide fitting, but I could always try going wider still - definitely is worth a shot 🤞 And I will take a look at Hotter too x

Edited at 01:08 PM.
Drat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

To see if still wider shoes will work for you, perhaps do what I did.
I started with wearing some flip flops around the house as slippers, and whilst going out for a few weeks.
This gave instant relief AND gave me time to heal and recover from the pain too.
You can get flip flops with various soles and arch supports, but any that are quite soft and not rock hard should be Ok to try out just to see if wearing still wider shoes is going to work
(I spent an absolute fortune on footwear before I realised they had to be really quite wide - OK no-one wants to have the 'Clowns Feet' look but comfort is key, at least whilst your healing a bit and you can get nicer looking ones these days than I could about 10 years ago )
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I found that these Ugg flip flops were the most comfortable footwear when I had a Mortons Neuroma. They weren't very smart so I didn't wear them for work but I pretty much wore them everywhere else whilst I waited for the op. Having it removed was such a relief!

Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Goofy3
Excited about Disney

Other posters advice about footwear is spot on. The neuroma is being squeezed between 2 metatarsals (usually 2nd and 3rd), so anything tight across the forefoot will be painful. You could try a metatarsal dome. This is a small teardrop shaped dome which when stuck into the shoe just behind the metatarsals will lift and separate them. Find a local podiatrist who can make this on a simple insole.
Alternative treatment is to have a simple surgery to remove. Generally very successful.
Goofy3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 17, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Drat
slightly serious Dibber

Thank you. Will give anything a go 🤞
Old 28 Jun 17, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
laurac1988
Imagineer

Hi :-) I work with an orthotist and asked him for advice for you this morning. Here's what he said.
"Aim to reduce forefoot loading and extension through toes. This will reduce the pressure on the neuroma and ease the symptoms.A thick soled shoe with accentuated forefoot rocker will roll to force from the ground away from the effected area.

Summer style shoes - flip flops etc are not ideal for this condition and will cause increased pain. Some patients however do find that a Fit Flop offers some degree of comfort and the soling is thicker and has the forefoot rocker shape built in.

Shoe examples - Hoka one shoes, MBT shoes, Fit Flop"
Hope that helps :-)
laurac1988 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 17, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Drat
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by laurac1988 View Post
Hi :-) I work with an orthotist and asked him for advice for you this morning. Here's what he said.

Hope that helps :-)
Thank you Laurac1988. I do have a pair of fit flops and I do find that the pain is eased when wearing them. Methinks a shopping trip is warranted to buy another pair 😜 xx