Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Jun 17, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I've got 2 different experiences.

I was on the PTA for my girl's primary and apart from the Head most of the staff didn't help. Sometimes 3 or 4 teachers would turn up and do an hour but no TA's and we had to beg for teacher help.

I now work in a primary and at least half of our staff help with every summer and Christmas fair, that includes office staff, TA's, teachers, out of school club, even lunchtime supervisors. Our summer fair was 2 weeks ago and I was there helping from 11-3, along with my 2 14 year olds and most of the rest of the staff.

The difference as far as I can tell is the attitude of the head teacher. My current head basically says to us that the PTA provides so much that we should help if we can, and she gives us chocolate if we do! The Head at my girl's school was of the opinion that his staff couldn't be expected to do any extra.

Edited at 10:39 PM.
Twin mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
macjaddie
Getting Excited

Mobile

I'm a TA and expected to attend stuff like that. I can't always do it though because my kids attend a different primary school and I can't afford to spend money on after school care for them just to go to a Christmas fair! It costs me £11 each to put them in after school club!

I get that it's good for staff to be supportive of events, I do it where I can. The school are really understanding about me not being able to do it all.
macjaddie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

At our school, the head usually shows up plus receptionist and maybe 1-2 other staff - they are not expected to however. All stalls are manned on hourly rotas by parents. Each class get 2 stations and class reps ensures the slots are filled.
Old 27 Jun 17, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Ds4ljs
Imagineer

Ds4ljs's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DisneySarah View Post
No, we are not expected to attend.
This is the same for us but many of us do. It was our fayre on Saturday and lots of us were there. Teachers, TAs, MSAs (dinner ladies), the bursar, the admin officer, the caretaker... Really well organised and great fun. Some of our staff have children under 2 so didn't stand on a stall but came along to support. Some have a 50 mile round trip.
I can see it from both sides tbh. It really does depend on the school.

Edited at 07:29 AM.
Ds4ljs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishlass89
Very Serious Dibber

How many events are there in a year? I ask because you mention a sporting event that teachers were expected to attend recently and a fayre coming up that they are expected to attend. If there are only a few big events in the year I would expect a number of the teachers would come along to support but if there are a lot of events then I can understand the teachers not coming. They generally are not paid extra to attend and already work many more hours than they are paid for with planning and marking etc. Plus at this time of year up in Scotland (may be different in England) it is usually a busy time of year in both primary and secondary schools with preparing for class changes/making sure pupils are at the correct level class if they have moved up and working with the transition groups between primary and secondary for the p7s.
scottishlass89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Many years ago when my 2 were in School but thinking back both Junior and High all the teachers seemed to be there. There weren't TA's back then but the regular 'helpers' would also turn up.

I suppose it's par for the course expecting attendance. Bit like my old job where the Boss would have a panic over something and ring around everyone on a Saturday evening and announce a 10.00am Sunday meeting that would last most of the day!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 08:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
We have a summer fayre on Friday. 1-30 TO 4PM.

Teachers are expected to attend to the end, support staff until 3pm. a list of duties is up in the staffroom to put your name up against.
Old 27 Jun 17, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Dayle
Imagineer

Yes majority of staff attend in fact more staff than parents. Events are now organised for straight after school til around 5.30 rather than starting at 6 or weekends.
Dayle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

I have worked in a few schools where the policy really differs on these events and it really shouldn't be an issue for anyone involved. It is either directed time and therefore staff have no choice or it is voluntary and in this case it is fine for them not to get involved and they should feel able to do this without judgement or prejudice.

I don't really understand why this ends up in confusion - the policy really needs firming up through discussion with the head. I worked in a school where the Christmas and Summer fayre's were partly in directed time, all staff attended and were assigned duties - it was during the school day in part so we all had no choice. At the point during the event where staff could go home, many did and the PTA had arranged with other volunteers (parents/staff/friends of the school) to take over the staff and this was all organised in advance, there was no expectation that staff had to stay unless they had pre arranged this with the PTA themselves. There was also no judgement here and staff were free to not be involved without upsetting someone, it was handled really well.

I worked in another school where all PTA events were on Saturdays, therefore virtually no staff were involved which was also absolutely fine as this was their choice and it was respected by all. Plus the parents were so heavily involved at this school the staff weren't needed.

OP, if your school expects staff involvement and the head wants the staff there it needs to be addressed by the head and it needs to be part of directed time. You cannot and do not have the right to expect the 'extra work' that teachers put in to be during your event rather than others. There are hundreds of charity days/school plays/clubs/trips/residential visits/cross curricular events where 'extra work' is needed for the event to be a success and staff will always go above and beyond in a variety of areas throughout the school year to ensure the school offers lovely things for the kids - we are not able to offer 'extra' to every event and we have the right to choose where we put our time for the most part. It may be that you are reliant on volunteers and you are going to have to reach beyond the staff and rope in the parents etc for your event if it is not directed time.

It is so easy to think, well why can't they support my event, its important etc etc but all school events are important and staff give many many hours of extra work throughout the school year to other events so why should they be prioritising yours? It is a shame that you are short on bodies but this is a normal issue for PTA staff and roping in volunteers is part of the job.

Also, as chair you might highlight that by not joining in this is fine, it is really unacceptable for staff to be made to feel inadequate for not giving even more than they currently do and it could end up with good will being withdrawn in other areas and really cause some damage.
Pjamas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Pookie3101
Imagineer

Pookie3101's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
All our PTA events are run by parents, the school staff don't really help at all.
Our Christmas Fayre is run during school hours, parents man the stalls and the older children, help the younger ones buy gifts. After school a few extra stalls are added (mainly games). Staff will come and spend money but don't help out.
At our Summer Fete, which is held on a Saturday, the parents man the stalls as well. Occasionally there might be a stall run by some teachers, but it's usually only one at the most. We do have a few support staff (caretaker, PE Teacher, TA) who put themselves forward for having wet sponges thrown at them. The kids put money in jars for those who are up for it throughout the week before and the one with the most money gets to go in the stocks for 30 minutes on the day.

DLP NBC - 2008, DLP SL- 2009, DLP SL, 2010.
AKL - 2014, POR - 2016
Pookie3101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List