Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Jun 17, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
LANI
New Poster (4)

Total knee replacement

Has anyone had a total knee replacement? How did it go? How long recovery?

Any tips? Anything I should know?
LANI is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
welovepedro
Imagineer

welovepedro's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

My dad had it about 9 weeks ago.

It wasn't pleasant for him but he had a couple of swelling and blistering complications which meant he was in hospital for a week.

He's only 60 and guys that went in on he same day who had a good ten years on him went home after 3 days.

He ended up hallucinating from painkillers...

But... he said he'd have it on his other knee now he's over the worst. As soon as he went home, within a couple days the improvement seemed to be at a rapid rate. He can walk unaided now, drive a car (albeit it's still sore to do that) and is much much better.

Bear in mind they won't discharge you until you can walk up and down stairs so that's the kind of recovery rate you can expect. Most are only in hospital 3/4 nights according to the Drs where my dad was.

Again he said he'd have the 2nd knee done now so that gives you an idea hopefully
Old 27 Jun 17, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

I have had both mine done, six months apart, ten years ago.
In hospital three night, up day after operation, although they are now getting some up the same day.
On both occasions my knee was very swollen and uncomfortable. My husband says I told him the pain was less the day after the operation than it was the day before.
Do as the physiotherapist says, always. They are tough but following their instructions will give you the best outcome.
Remember to go for your check ups and to all physiotherapy sessions offered.
First operation I used a stick for six weeks, second two weeks.
It is worth the short term pain.
Good luck
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

I had a bilateral knee replacement (both knees done at the same time) two years ago. I had the operation late on a Saturday afternoon and was discharged on the following Tuesday morning. It was very painful at first and I had almost 100 staples in the legs. I was determined to get back to normal as quickly as possible and kept very active even though I was on crutches at first. I was back at work as a Care Assistant two and half months later. I still get the occasional stiffness but it was the best decision I ever made. Most people aren't even aware I have had the operation. We are off to Disney in September and when we last went three years I had to rely on a wheelchair most of the time.
JudgeJ26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Triciamcl
VIP Dibber

Triciamcl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Had a TKR 2 and a half years ago aged 55. In hospital 5 days had bad reaction to gen anaesthetic but. Soon on mend. No crutches but two walking sticks when I got home. Struggled to get out of bed, into shower etc(was only about 2 inch step into shower but so hard to lift the knee, wasnt prepared for that lol).
However back at work as nursery manager 7 weeks later. Swimming after 8 weeks and now about the only thing I can't do is run ! Cycling, Aquafit, walking long distances and swimming every day. Don't get me wrong the pain was awful for first couple weeks and it's not to be entered into lightly, but my quality of life was rubbish before the op, getting little sleep etc, couldnt kneel. I can now) so for me it's been well worth it

2010 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2011 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2012 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2015 POFQ, RPR and DOUBLETREE RESORT
2017 POFQ

2022 POFQ & Cabana Bay

Edited at 09:41 PM.
Triciamcl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I am waiting to go in for total knee replacement, I had my pre-op assessment on 23 May and expected to have the op a couple of weeks later but I haven't got a date yet, disappointing as I need to be fit by August and I am cutting it a bit fine now but nothing I can do about it but wait.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 17, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
LANI
New Poster (4)

fingers x it happens soon.
LANI is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List