Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 13 Jun 19, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
do you know what the main differences are?

I was considering the refurb route initially as that's about $300 less than the new option (although still the same warranty etc).
I think there’s only 3 or 4 keys different on my US keyboard. Things like the @ # “ and £ are mixed up but you soon get used to which keys to press to get those symbols

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Is the US layout one to avoid? As I was considering getting one (new to Mac).
do you know what the main differences are?

I was considering the refurb route initially as that's about $300 less than the new option (although still the same warranty etc).
I will check mine tonight for you and let you know what the different keys are (I'm at work now - although you might be able to google it!) as both mine have the US keyboard lay out. For me it wasn't an issue as although the physical keys might say one thing, I have it set up as the UK version when it is actually pressed. So I can't remember what's what but say the number 3 which we have a £ on, shows actually it's a # on the physical keyboard, when I press it, it types a £ not what is displayed. However if you don't use keyboards a lot then it could get confusing - I know where all the keys are from muscle memory and typing on them on a daily basis for work for 20 years so it's not an issue for me personally!
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

the main thing (for me) is a larger enter key. the single height one on US keyboards does my head in

saying that, i have a couple of devices with US keyboards, and i don't really have much of an issue with them. but given the choice of a uk keyboard over a US one (ie ordering from the apple site rather than the store) i would go for the uk keyboard.

but if somewhere like macmall was doing an offer on a laptop and it ended up a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than buying from the apple site, i would choose the US keyboard!

Edited at 08:15 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

not sure if this is worth a look:

hotukdeals/deals/app...nsight-3246275
None actually instock only "ordered on request" apparently someone emailed them and they confirmed it was a miss price and they wouldn't be honored at that price - not sure it's worth ordering (as can still order at the cheap price!) if i'm just going to have to wait an age for a refund! Thanks for the link though
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by wanye View Post
the main thing (for me) is a larger enter key. the single height one on US keyboards does my head in

saying that, i have a couple of devices with US keyboards, and i don't really have much of an issue with them. but given the choice of a uk keyboard over a US one (ie ordering from the apple site rather than the store) i would go for the uk keyboard.

but if somewhere like macmall was doing an offer on a laptop and it ended up a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than buying from the apple site, i would choose the US keyboard!

Thanks, I was comparing Apple refurb site v Apple standard prices (both cheaper than UK but refurb more so)
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Import duty would only be if over £390 and a number of items are below that (and cheaper than UK).
Walmart didn't complete my glasses on time so they posted them. Customs hammered me and the glasses were well below £390
Old 22 Jun 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
Walmart didn't complete my glasses on time so they posted them. Customs hammered me and the glasses were well below £390
You would have to pay VAT and import tax if they shipped it across. Different to personal allowance being brought in after a trip.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List