Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Jul 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
I remember threads about that but it all looked confusing/time consuming and difficult.
To start with it's a bit daunting sure. I spend maybe 30 minutes per day max on it, maybe a bit more on a Saturday.

14 months after starting I'm over £10k up, and there's plenty of people who have done better than me.

Best thing I ever did!
Old 11 Jul 19, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Firsttimers2018
Getting Excited

Mobile

Evening all 😊 hope your all having a fantastic week 😊

Can any of you lovely people please give me hints/tips to save money to pay my holiday and spending money. Due to expanding our business money is a little tight. I am sure all will work out fine but I would rather put a plan into place to make sure.

Also would it be a good idea to pay Disney monthly? or pay off on a lump sum?

Thanks so much 😍🤩
When i started saving in 2017 for our first Disney trip in 2019. I set up a 12 month savings, account that i could not access, started meal planning and only buying what we needed (family of 3), got a Nespresso machine for a Christmas present and now save at least £100 a month from not visiting coffee shops. Sold loads on eBay. Went through all direct debits and got best deals I could cancelled some.

That 3 week holiday cost around 15k. We did everything - 12 parks, KSC, gator tour, endless shopping, blue man group and more. We saved every penny and didn't have any credit card or loan debt when we got home. In fact I was so pleased with how I'd manage to save i booked our 2nd trip for this October - only 9 days predominately doing universal. And have so far saved 6k since returning last August
Firsttimers2018 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Magnolia dream
Trainee Dibber

I have a Mickey jar that I put one coin a day in from my purse, it can be a pound or 2p as long as it is one a day.
Also i go for coffee with my friend once a week, sometimes we have vouchers for free coffee, i always put the price of the coffee in the pot.
in six months I have saved £175. that is going towards my dollars, and you don't notice it at all.
My daughter uses her card all the time and has little cash, she has started this now and said her pot is filling up nice but will not count it until November when she is off to Disney.
What ever you do will help, just keep plodding it is amazing how much you can save.
Mary
Old 11 Jul 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

I love that idea. How do you spend £0 in a week?
There are various takes on it but basically its trying to spend nothing on anything other than essential priority bills(direct debits ect) so no food shopping, coffees out, takeaways, clothes shopping ect it sounds really hard and does take some commitment to make it work but you can really make some good savings. Food shopping is probably the hardest part but its a really good way to use up some of the things that have been langushing in the back of freezer/cupboard and you might even discover some new recipes along the way. Even if you cave do a small top up shop there could be a decent saving compared to doing a full weekly shop.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
There are various takes on it but basically its trying to spend nothing on anything other than essential priority bills(direct debits ect) so no food shopping, coffees out, takeaways, clothes shopping ect it sounds really hard and does take some commitment to make it work but you can really make some good savings. Food shopping is probably the hardest part but its a really good way to use up some of the things that have been langushing in the back of freezer/cupboard and you might even discover some new recipes along the way. Even if you cave do a small top up shop there could be a decent saving compared to doing a full weekly shop.
This is what we’re doing at the moment. We have a smiley face chart in the kitchen 😂🤦🏻😂. But we’ve got a wedding to pay for and a lot of money to find. So we’re getting there!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Mobile

I echo a lot of what is on here. Also I pay my balance in instalments for 2 reasons. My credit card limit is too low to pay it off in one go. Also if it's there I'm tempted to dip into it.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
kbabble
Helping Mickey

Mobile

Thanks, this has really helped me. We have been 6 times before but I.now have a son at university and my goodness, that's an expensive business. So I am thinking we will never be able to afford to return, but maybe if I adopt some tips I will surprise myself. Thanks
kbabble is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
bex85chelt
Excited about Disney

Thats great well done!
bex85chelt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I love that idea. How do you spend £0 in a week?
One of the weeks mid month we have no direct debits going out - so we also do not buy any extra food - we tend to bulk buy and batch cook anyhow since our working/school patterns don't always match so we use what is in the freezer, in the cupboards etc. So the money is spent another week - but less since it is in bulk.

It is easy enough to not go into town and buy anything, we don't buy coffee out or eat out much anyhow, any spending on clothes etc has to wait the week - and often means we don't buy it because it was not "needed" after all. No tat is bought, we just don't spend any money for a week. We both live within walking distance of our jobs, the kids have termly bus tickets for school, everyone takes packed lunch etc.

Would not say that never a penny is spent that week, but as far as is possible we go for it.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
MK_club1987
Apprentice Imagineer

I have a round up feature on my Starling bank, you can round up 1x, 2x, 3x or 4x, I currently have it set to 2x, so if I buy something that costs saying £1.50, it will transfer 50p to my savings but as I have it set to x2 it will move £1.00 over.

In just over 4 weeks I have saved £60.25 just from that alone, have that going towards our spending money for WDW next year.

The rest of my savings come from left over wages at the end of the month and Matched Betting.

Edited at 03:58 PM.
MK_club1987 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List