Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Sep 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Do5-BaG View Post
Or, alternatively if the option is given, use an 2FP Authenticator App instead of receiving via text.
Not always an option, this isn't necessarily for logging on.

Many banks for example.if you make an online payment now sends a verification code to a phone number and you enter that back into the website to authorise the payment.

Agree though if possible use something that requires authentication itself.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsEgg View Post
This happened to my FIL last summer, he was with Vodaphone though and they sorted it for him.

The worst thing was they were able to reset his Internet banking as they had his phone number and emptied his account. If you have anything which can be reset via your number make sure you change it ASAP.
Don’t know if I’m being thick here but how would they be able to get access to your bank account by hacking your phone? Surely they still need your bank passcodes?
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

My DH is with EE and someone reported his mobile as stolen so they locked it. It took 3 months to get resolved as EE said phone was faulty and manufacture couldn't look at it as it had been blocked.
It was returned twice before we got anywhere.

Hope you have quicker success than us.

Key was how they passed security checks with EE. It turned out to be their employee error in inputting a wrong mobile number. Someone else had lost a phone with s similar number. Ask them to listen back on calls or recheck their security process.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I have read a few stories of this recently. Apparently it's to get bank account access. Be careful.
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

This is the one I thought of immediately.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1138794
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
DrMagical
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
This is the one I thought of immediately.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1138794
Yes that was me!
Once your mobile company gives out the PAC code your number is basically in the hands of the hacker a day later, it can't be reversed.

This has nothing to do with using mobile banking apps on your phone like some have suggested here. It is now a requirement for banks and credit cards to have a number to authenticate transactions with you. This is why this crime of stealing phone numbers is going to be more and more prevalent.

ASAP - change the phone number with every account you can think of, use a family members phone number then you'll be able to tell as they attempt to hack your accounts. Change passwords too whilst there.

Get on to your mobile company as they can request your number back from the hacker's company as a 'fraudulent number transfer'.

You'll likely get your number back a week later.

If like me you are successful you'll then have an identity fraud alert on your credit file meaning that it is virtually impossible now to get credit in form of loans or new phone contracts. I guess this protects you as if you can't get credit, neither can the thief.
DrMagical is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
MillieMoo23
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by DrMagical View Post
If like me you are successful you'll then have an identity fraud alert on your credit file meaning that it is virtually impossible now to get credit in form of loans or new phone contracts. I guess this protects you as if you can't get credit, neither can the thief.
I phoned all my banks on Friday and changed the associated number to my work phone for the time being. I have also changed my passwords for all social media accounts and other accounts I can think of. The number is now currently barred, and I have been informed that I should get my number back on Tuesday. In the meantime, I have been given a temporary number.

Can I ask what you mean about it is now virtually impossible for you to get credit in form of loans and new phone contracts? Does that mean you are unable to take out any credit? How is that possible just because your phone number was stolen?
MillieMoo23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
DrMagical
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by MillieMoo23 View Post
Can I ask what you mean about it is now virtually impossible for you to get credit in form of loans and new phone contracts? Does that mean you are unable to take out any credit? How is that possible just because your phone number was stolen?
Your phone provider should report this as a crime to action fraud as identity theft. This does then go on your credit file and can stay there for 2-6 years. I've tried to get credit twice since it happened to me and despite having a credit score of 990 out of 999 on Experian have been refused new sim contract at Three and Vodafone as failed the credit check. This happened to me as I was moving house and thank god I'd already had a mortgage agreed. It's sitting there on my credit report 'identity fraud at address'. No, it's not fair but if someone has enough info on you to fool your mobile company to give a PAC code out over the phone then they have enough info on you to take out loans, credit cards, bank accounts, contracts under your name!
DrMagical is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

It should not stop you getting credit at all. All it should do is put additional checks in place.

For example, for a phone you wouldn't be able to get a phone posted but have to go in store with photo ID to collect.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DrMagical
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
It should not stop you getting credit at all. All it should do is put additional checks in place.

For example, for a phone you wouldn't be able to get a phone posted but have to go in store with photo ID to collect.
In theory yes, in practice no!
I needed a data sim for home broadband. Ordered online at Three, computer refused credit, I had to ring a number, spoke to someone, answered some questions correctly but was then told no, sorry, I didn't pass the identity check.
Went in the Three shop with passport, bank cards, utility bills and still didn't pass credit check, assistant spent 20 nail biting minutes on the phone with credit company who eventually said yes.

A month later in Vodafone shop for my son's phone same situation, computer said no, long phone call by assistant who also said no.

So as a victim of identity fraud you've got to jump through hoops and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. As I said, my credit rating is superb. Likely in Vodafone it was suspicious on a high alert file such as mine that I was seeking yet another phone contract (although legitimate I already have 3 under my name for family and home broadband) and was blocked - you cannot negotiate with them - it's a 'computer says no' situation and no obligation for them to explain or apologise.

I'm now a nervous wreck every time my phone pings from ClearScore app notifications that a change has been made on my credit report. I know the hacker who stole my number tried (and failed) to use it for an old credit card of mine to spend £700 at TK Max. I also know from email from ClearScore that they blocked an account request from 'me' in July when my number was stolen - this would have given the thief information on all the accounts in my name past and present.

Frightening to think they are out there trying every which way to steal from me.

To OP sorry to alarm you but stealing your phone number is the future of identity theft. To do so they would know enough personal details to persuade a phone company to part with a valued customer. Be alert and glad you changed all your account contact details.