Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Oct 19, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
janeywaney
VIP Dibber

janeywaney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile DH Had Allergic Reaction

So Sunday we were in Manchester for a long weekend with another Dibber and her DH celebrating 🥳 my birthday. We had travelled over on Friday to have a nice break.
We had a fab weekend and on Sunday left Juju and her DH to make our way back to the hotel to pick the car up and make our way home.
DH and I decided to pop into the hotel to have a quick bite to eat before heading home. We had a four cheese pizza to share and a tea each. DH said he thought he had some food stuck under his pallete so popped to the toilets to dislodge the food. When he came out his lip was a little swollen he thought he had possibly caught his lip with the denture glue.
Anyway we drove home to Yorkshire and DH said his eyes were feeling weird he pulled over and cleaned his glasses said it was a little better.
We get home and I make a brew take it to DH and see the whole of his bottom lip swollen. He was breathing quite heavily and his skin had started to go blotchy 😱 I rang 111 and went through what DH was going through he was getting much worse as I was on the phone his hands started to swell. Explained that DH had suffered a heart attack in March this year and I was concerned his breathing was getting quite rapid. 111 said a doctor would call me back within an hour, it was literally 2 minutes later that the doctor called back and told DH an ambulance was on its way!
So the paramedics were amazing DH kept apologising to them for wasting their time! (Which he wasn’t) They found DH’s blood pressure was everywhere his pulse was racing and his tongue was swelling 😕 they gave DH a shot of adrenaline which seemed to make him worse!
Off to A&E we went and spent the next 8 hours there.

DH couldn’t even bend his fingers at one point! He started to shake violently and for the first time I started to feel panicked 😕 I felt so helpless!
Anyway he responded well to steroids and things improved enough to come home.
We managed to get in to see the GP yesterday who has referred him to the allergy clinic, and prescribed an Epi pen (going to see nurse today to learn how to use it with him today) went to get the prescription for the Epi pen from Boots but can’t get one for 72 hours! Luckily DH is on steroids for 5 days and the chance that DH has another allergic reaction is slim.
DH seems quite well today thankfully, he was a bit shocked when the GP signed him off for a week 😊 I am glad that he has been as I don’t think DH can take in how serious it was!
He has to avoid cheese until we can find out which one it was that caused the allergy. I did tell him if he doesn’t behave I will threaten him with a baby bel! 😂

This year’s birthday is one I can’t wait to forget!

Jane
August 06 All Star Sports, August 07 All Star Music, OKW August 08 OKW Nov 09 All Star Music Feb 10, OKW Sept 10 OKW Sept 2011 , OKW Nov 2013, Pop Cenury Sept 2014, OKW Sept 2015, OKW Nov 16, OKW Sept 17, OKW Aug 19
janeywaney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Jane. How dreadfully frightening. Firstly I hope your Husband continues to improve and also they can pinpoint what caused the allergic reaction.
I must say the NHS seems very good at this as my Granddaughter has and still is undergoing tests - her issue is eggs so they say.

With what your Husband went through a while ago I'm not surprised you were all so worried.

Best of luck for a full improvement and diagnosis.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

Goodness that must have been scary, glad that the outcome was positive and hope he gets to the bottom of the cause.
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Crikey that sounded awful :nonono glad he is responding to treatment and hope they find out what caused it quickly

JOAN
Old 8 Oct 19, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
That’s so scary, I didn’t know you can get a allergic reaction to cheese! Glad dh is in the mend now, my son had a nut allergy but hasn’t had a reaction in 13 years so I’m hoping he grew out of it. Hope your dh continues to improve xx
Old 8 Oct 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

How frightening. I have a couple of food allergies, including blue cheese and slightest hint of it results in me passing out. Once you know what the trigger is, it’s much easier to avoid and I’m sure you’ll find out soon.
Old 8 Oct 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

How awful! Allergic reactions are tricky ones aren’t they because they can just be itchy eyes, or they can turn on a sixpence and end up like this.

I’m really glad your DH is okay and responded well to treatment. Hope you’re both okay x
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
spb_IRL
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Scary !
Did you contact the hotel restaurant to get a detailed list of the ingredients in the pizza , including what was in the tomatoe sauce ? Might be useful to know.
Hope he figures out quickly what caused it, sounds terrifying.
OKW & ? Oct 17
spb_IRL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I hope your husband is fine now. I had a severe reaction to penicillin a few years back and now carry two Epipens at all times. Check the expiry dates, as they don't seem to last long and need replacing, even if not used. They are also a third of the dose of what my GP gave me on the day I reacted. He told my husband I was two minutes from death! I was in and out of consciousness at the time.
Old 8 Oct 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Oh how horrible to happen to your Hubbie & scary for you all too, hope you get it all sorted out soon
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List