Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 10 Oct 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

1 day Universal tickets

We're going back to WDW next spring, staying onsite with 14 day tickets for Disney, but thinking of spending a day at Universal Studios, perhaps trying to catch the Mardi Gras parade. I don't want to buy these additional tickets in advance; I prefer to get out there and see how we feel: If we feel sufficiently entertained at WDW, we would just leave Universal for another visit yet again.

We are 2 adults and a 10 year old so will need 3 adult tickets. What would be the cheapest place to buy these, at short notice, whilst in Orlando? Many thanks.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
lyn1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
We're going back to WDW next spring, staying onsite with 14 day tickets for Disney, but thinking of spending a day at Universal Studios, perhaps trying to catch the Mardi Gras parade. I don't want to buy these additional tickets in advance; I prefer to get out there and see how we feel: If we feel sufficiently entertained at WDW, we would just leave Universal for another visit yet again.

We are 2 adults and a 10 year old so will need 3 adult tickets. What would be the cheapest place to buy these, at short notice, whilst in Orlando? Many thanks.
I might be wrong but I think it is just as cheap to pay on the gate for a 1 day base ticket. If it is cheaper from elsewhere I don't think there would be a lot in it, but as I said, I could be wrong. Maybe someone can confirm or correct me.
Old 10 Oct 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by lyn1 View Post
I might be wrong but I think it is just as cheap to pay on the gate for a 1 day base ticket. If it is cheaper from elsewhere I don't think there would be a lot in it, but as I said, I could be wrong. Maybe someone can confirm or correct me.
Thank you Lyn1. This would work well for us - we wouldn't want to travel anywhere for the tickets, but could obviously buy online if it was cheaper to do so.

Follow up question... what is the gate price for 1 day base ticket?
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 01:55 AM  
Link to this Post
lyn1
Imagineer

Thank you Lyn1. This would work well for us - we wouldn't want to travel anywhere for the tickets, but could obviously buy online if it was cheaper to do so.

Follow up question... what is the gate price for 1 day base ticket?
You're welcome

It will depend on the date you are going.

To give you some idea of the prices have a look on undercovertourist, I think their prices for the 1 Day Base ticket are the same as Universal. If you want to have a look at the prices on the Universal site have a look on the link below, although I think they only go up to April 2020 at the moment.

universalorlando/web...s/park-tickets
Old 11 Oct 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

You're welcome

It will depend on the date you are going.

To give you some idea of the prices have a look on undercovertourist, I think their prices for the 1 Day Base ticket are the same as Universal. If you want to have a look at the prices on the Universal site have a look on the link below, although I think they only go up to April 2020 at the moment.

universalorlando/web...s/park-tickets
Thanks again! I did look on Universal but wasn't sure if the gate price was the same as their online price I'll check again (when I last checked they only had prices for 2019). I suppose whichever way we decide to buy the tickets the variations aren't going to be substantial. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on some obvious 'bargain' way to buy these tickets (last year we very nearly missed out on Disney free dining).
Old 11 Oct 19, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

So it's between $125 to $135 depending on when we decide to go. Ouch. That's appx $400 for the three tickets, plus uber from CSR and a bite to eat... a very expensive day
Old 11 Oct 19, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

So it's between $125 to $135 depending on when we decide to go. Ouch. That's appx $400 for the three tickets, plus uber from CSR and a bite to eat... a very expensive day
It really is! This was us last time and in the end we didn’t go as we found it hard to justify (although dd was only 6 at the time and wasn’t a Harry Potter fan!) ... It makes you realise that the uk 14 day tickets are actually quite a good deal! When we go next year we’re doing a few days universal and will hopefully get better value for money doing this.
Old 11 Oct 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Th1nkT1nk View Post
It really is! This was us last time and in the end we didn’t go as we found it hard to justify (although dd was only 6 at the time and wasn’t a Harry Potter fan!) ... It makes you realise that the uk 14 day tickets are actually quite a good deal! When we go next year we’re doing a few days universal and will hopefully get better value for money doing this.
Good to know I'm not the only one struggling to justify these costs to myself. I suppose anything that makes our Disney tickets seem somehow 'cheaper' and good value is great news

[This will be our second visit to WDW so I don't think we'll be short of things to do, and to be honest it will be nice to spend some time at the resort as well. Neither one of us is a Harry Potter or big coasters fan so we're no really drawn to Universal, but it feels remiss of us not to... The problem of leaving Universal for another visit, is of course how to then incorporate a short visit to Disney - the 2-3 days tickets seem really expensive in comparison to the 14 day tickets... First world problems ]
Old 11 Oct 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
lyn1
Imagineer

I agree with you it is an expensive day but we still do it

I bought the 3 Day Park to Park ticket for next year [just for 2 parks] and it cost us £665.28 for 3 of us. At the time that was the cheapest I could get, but still expensive. Having said that, the same ticket would now cost around £699.84 for 3 of us.

Edited at 01:52 PM.
lyn1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

I agree with you it is an expensive day but we still do it

I bought the 3 Day Park to Park ticket for next year [just for 2 parks] and it cost us £665.28 for 3 of us. At the time that was the cheapest I could get, but still expensive. Having said that, the same ticket would now cost around £699.84 for 3 of us.
I think you did well getting these tickets, and you've managed to stay below $100 per person, per day (just) - which I think (especially with the current pound/dollar exchange rate) is somewhat of a psychological barrier for me

I'm going to leave it until we're there and see how we feel. Thanks again anyway