Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Oct 19, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Happens in all careers. My neighbour is a paramedic and helped another neighbour out when he fell even though he was off duty.
No comparison to the OPs situation.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post

My dh is an electrician. A neighbour asked me to ask him to come and change a lightbulb in a light fitting.
When I asked her why she said she couldn't do it and when she wanted to buy the light fitting her dh said don't buy it As it will be too difficult to change the bulb.
She wanted my dh to do it and she would tell her dh she had done it
I just said no I'm not asking him
Dh has done lots of free favours in the past but that request was ridiculous
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Excited6910
Imagineer

Not unreasonable at all. I’m about to take a little leap into the business world which is very under valued and I’m going to have problems charging people for it but I have my family to look after too.

This guy should never have asked 🙈

Loved our Second “once in a lifetime" so much we're doing it again
Excited6910 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mickchick
Imagineer

mickchick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
While I sympathise with the OP I have to say that I do think she is making very heavy weather out of absolutely nothing. Someone who ought to know better wants professional advice, presumably for free. So just say no, make yourself a cup of tea and forget it. You don't have to give a reason, but you could always say, as others have suggested, that your professional insurance does not allow it. Or you could say that your contract with your firm prohibits outside work. Or you could suggest an appointment at your office to put it on a proper footing. Or even warn in advance that your rates are Ł500 an hour or part hour, (which is cheap down here in London). To the OP I say: don't be outraged. It could be worse. Try being a car mechanic and see how many people want you to take a peek under the bonnet on a Saturday night for nothing.

Edited at 09:52 PM.
mickchick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

My friend us a vet and gets really fed up with school mum's who barely speak to her otherwise suddenly being her best friends when they need animal advice! One of them even tells other mums on Facebook to contact her!
Saying that, I messaged her last night asking cat advice!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

DH has often been asked for advice from people we hardly know and often or not it is who to recommend appertaining to wanting to know the correct route to achieve an outcome or if he is willing to sign a passport application if we have known them for long enough under the rules. TBH we never mind as we work on the process you never know when you might suddenly need help and do not know where to turn and so work on the principle (hopefully) one good turn deserves another.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

I am a pharmacist and always get people messaging me on Facebook asking for advice.doesnt bother me tbh x
Floridaagogo is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridaagogo View Post
I am a pharmacist and always get people messaging me on Facebook asking for advice.doesnt bother me tbh x
Do you at least know the people who message you?

As I’ve said, I’ve never met or spoken to this guy. He also told my husband “I need to speak to your missus” and “I need some legal advice from her”. Had he said something more like “could I speak to your wife, I could do with some advice” that would still be cheeky but it would have annoyed me less. Maybe that’s irrational.

Interestingly, since husband went back with his polite response, saying I can only advise through the firm due to insurance and to contact me there, he hasn’t even had the courtesy to respond or otherwise acknowledge the message.

I just find the whole thing unbelievable. Maybe I need to get used to it, as a surprisingly number seem to think it’s okay. Each to their own of course.
Old 13 Oct 19, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Sorry didn’t mean as anything against you just saying from a personal perspective.a few weeks ago I was picking up lager in Tesco and a man said to me “excuse me but I was in your chemist this week...can I drink alcohol with the antibiotics you gave me “ 😳 I get it all the time and Tesco takes me forever to get round as I find myself discussing painkillers by the bread ,piles by the fruit and veg and acne by the milk 😂😂 not meant in any way as a judgement against you Kate xxx
Floridaagogo is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
You're much nicer than me! I do plenty of pro bono work, but only for people who come through the firm, as otherwise my insurance wouldn't cover me. I guess at least you knew those people, whereas I've never spoken to this guy, but still fancy presenting you with their full bills!
This is the point that people don't always get in situations like this - it's not being unreasonable at all , it's the fact that it's your professional registration at risk.

I work in a regulated industry - and advice has a very specific meaning and has to follow a formal process. I can't just do something as "favour" as I have to follow the process required otherwise I'm not covered by the indemnity insurance and risk my registration being rescinded and, therefore, losing my livelihood.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List