Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Oct 19, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

I don't believe she has been charged with any offence yet. The police are putting together their case which they will pass to the Crown Prosecution Service. They will decide if there is enough evidence to proceed and at that point you would assume an extradition request would be made to the US.

Whether the US will agree to that request, or do anything to make it difficult we won't know until it happens.

A tragic event and must be very painful for the family to not get closure. The grieving process must be much worse when it is being dragged out so publicly like this.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I think the Dunns deserve their day in court and going through the stages would hopefully give them some closure and a chance to grieve without distraction. As a mother I would want my son's life and death recognised not swept under the carpet.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

This is one big mess, the poor family who lost their son will be trying to grieve but this case with the driver of the car is one big disgrace. She caused the death of a young man and needs to answer to 5hat charge. Just shameful on usa side xx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
animal lover
New Poster (2)

Im not sure what outcome the family are looking for but the incident should be investigated by British Police. So far, all we know is that she says it was an accident and that she was on the wrong side of the road. It should be investigated thoroughly and the young mans death would be listed in the coroners court who can decide whether someone would be held responsible for his death and if charges should be laid... its called due process and thats all that needs to happen. Im sure the family would be very satisfied with this. But for people to state it was an accident, it wont bring the boy back and leave this woman alone now, I think they are being ignorant. Forget where she's from, where he's from, where the accident occurred and remember. A young man is dead here, a family has lost a son and brother and they deserve an official investigation into the matter and if someone is to answer for his death they are to be held responsible and dealt what ever penalty fits.
animal lover is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

It was an accident. I stand by that, but that doesn’t mean I don’t think she should avoid the consequences of that accident. But I also don’t believe that she chose to “flee” from the UK.

That decision was harmful for both the Dunn’s and also for the suspect herself. She could now never be able to step foot in the UK again as a result of her being removed by the military, whereas without their reaction she would have most likely been facing a relatively light penalty of points and a large fine.
RachaelC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
US news cycle moves fast.
The parents were invited to the White House, met President Trump, and had the opportunity to meet with Anne Sacoolas.
They refused.
That was their one and only chance to meet Sacoolas, they won't have another, because there's no way she will return to UK.

The US media has already moved on.
The Dunn's have behaved with the upmost dignity and have my complete respect. Imo they have done the right thing at every point so far.

They were right to go to the white house, but also right to avoid the "photo op" Trump was trying to create.

I didn't ever think Trump would send her back - America First and all. But i had hoped that if the American people had seen the story they might have had a little more compasion and understanding.

I wonder what Trump and the US media would be saying if this was the other way round. If a british driver had driven on the left, killed someone in an accident and then left the country in this way. Would it then be just an accident that needs a meeting and some healing?

You can also look back at past incidents. In 1997 a Georgian diplimat ran a stop signal and killed a teenage girl in the US. The US requested diplomatic immunity be waived and that diplomat was sentenced to 7-21 years in jail.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

I can only speak for my small part of the US- but (sadly) nobody here is talking about this case. Truth be told, I had to look it up to see what the story was. (In my defense I've been traveling for business so a day or two behind the times)

I am appalled by the whole thing and believe diplomatic immunity needs to be revisited by the international community. There ought to be sensible limits around fatal crimes and accidents.

And of course Trump was solely interested in a photo op at the expense of a grieving family. No surprise there. He has a long and clear record of only being concerned with jamming his bloated orange mug into any situation he can. Doesn't matter the human cost as long as that moron can show up and give his trademark Trump Thumbs Up™ and stupid grin for the cameras.
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
may
Apprentice Imagineer

may's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 10
I think the words here are quite tricky. I agree with RachaelC this was categorically an accident because the opposite of accidental is deliberate and I don't think anyone believes for a minute that she deliberately drove into the poor young man. Would more 'care' have made it less likely? Almost certainly but that doesn't render it non accidental / deliberate.
may is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by animal lover View Post
Im not sure what outcome the family are looking for but the incident should be investigated by British Police. So far, all we know is that she says it was an accident and that she was on the wrong side of the road. It should be investigated thoroughly and the young mans death would be listed in the coroners court who can decide whether someone would be held responsible for his death and if charges should be laid... its called due process and thats all that needs to happen. Im sure the family would be very satisfied with this. But for people to state it was an accident, it wont bring the boy back and leave this woman alone now, I think they are being ignorant. Forget where she's from, where he's from, where the accident occurred and remember. A young man is dead here, a family has lost a son and brother and they deserve an official investigation into the matter and if someone is to answer for his death they are to be held responsible and dealt what ever penalty fits.
Sorry it's not the Coroners Court that will decide on charges it will be the CPS following submission of case papers by the Roads Policing Officer dealing with this case.
Coroners courts are inquisitorial and Crown courts are adversarial. At the conclusion of a Court case the Coroners process will commence. If no Court case then the Coroner will take precedence but still can't lay charges albeit a Jury can bring in a verdict under the Coroners direction.

This is a dreadfully sad case and not knowing the facts I don't know and neither do any of us if it was a dreadful accident or if there was a degree of recklessness involved. For example excessive speed or reckless overtaking etc etc. Only the accident investigation team will hypothesise that from their investigations.

Should she have left the Country. Absolutely not. Was she within her rights to do so in her unique circumstances, yes she was albeit personally I'm sure we will agree she was morally wrong to do so.

What will be the outcome of this case I don't know. What I do know though is statistically we in the U.K.are are not exactly shining examples of fairness in agreeing to extradition requests from America for our citizens suspected of criminality whereas they meet most of our reciprocal requests albeit a Grand Jury process must take place first. Nothwithstanding that their statistics on extradition put ours in a poor light.

I wish the bereaved family well and hope they get some justice but I suspect they won't other than a paper victory following a CPS recommendation

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by may View Post
I think the words here are quite tricky. I agree with RachaelC this was categorically an accident because the opposite of accidental is deliberate and I don't think anyone believes for a minute that she deliberately drove into the poor young man. Would more 'care' have made it less likely? Almost certainly but that doesn't render it non accidental / deliberate.
that would make 100% of RTA just an accident no one deliberately causes a crash but a decent % are out of carelessness i would wager? accidents are caused by ice / wet roads etc. Driving the wrong side of the road isnt the same its not accidental its careless..

"more care" ie/ driving on the correct side of the road & we wouldnt be having this conversation

imo of course
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List