Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Oct 19, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sully301 View Post
it happens in every organisation private or public sector. It's unfortunately part of life. Companies/Organisations can't stay static for years and years with no change and expect to keep pace. I guess if you don't like it you go and work for someone else.
Totally agree, its a way of work life. I work in the public sector and have done for around 30 yrs, can't tell you how many times my pay and conditions have changed and just told to sign the new contract or close the door on your way out. Just last month I had to re apply for my job (again!) during yet another restructure and change of pay and conditions, so I don't think nay work place is immune to this.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My son was telling me about this, lots of employees on the old contract and won’t sign the new one. He’s on the new one anyway so doesn’t know any different.
Old 18 Oct 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
richard29
Apprentice Imagineer

This happened to me 4 years ago, either sign the new contract with extra work or leave.
Fortunately they also offered redundancy and as I worked there for 18 years+ I took that along with my final salary pension.

I wished at the time that this hadn't been the case as I loved my job.

Sandy
Old 18 Oct 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I was "forced" to sign a new contract just before I left work. Huge company.
When I say "forced", obviously no one had a gun to my head.
Basically what they did was said all roles were gone. There were a smaller number of roles so anyone can apply. I was successful but had to sign a new contract. Seems the norm now.
Te stupidity was that I wanted to leave. But I had to accept the new contract for a while while they sorted the terms for me leaving. So someone else who wasn't successful with their application lost their job unwillingly and I went as well.

Edited at 12:43 PM.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

The changes ASDA are making come of no surprise... I went through very similar around 5 years ago when I worked at Sainsbury's, they got rid of all mid-management roles and re-classed them to what they are today.

I left Sainsbury's/retail shortly before the roles actually changed and haven't looked back.

Food retail has completely changed due to the likes of Lidl and ALDI and will only continue to change, so it would be mad for supermarkets like ASDA to not change otherwise they will fail.

Good luck to everyone affected, however they will be given redundancy options (if eligible) and not just walked out of the door if they don't sign the new contract.

Don't read everything you see in the news.
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake

Edited at 02:32 PM.
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Jen1
Excited about Disney

[QUOTE=itsmeGAV;14132325]The changes ASDA are making come of no surprise... I went through very similar around 5 years ago when I worked at Sainsbury's, they got rid of all mid-management roles and re-classed them to what they are today.

I left Sainsbury's/retail shortly before the roles actually changed and haven't looked back.

Food retail has completely changed due to the likes of Lidl and ALDI and will only continue to change, so it would be mad for supermarkets like ASDA to not change otherwise they will fail.

Good luck to everyone affected, however they will be given redundancy options (if eligible) and not just walked out of the door if they don't sign the new contract.

Don't read everything you see in the news.

There is no redundancy on the table !
I have worked for Asda for 19 years and I personally would of taken redundancy rather then be on the new contract if this was a option.

There are many colleagues who haven't signed and have been told that they will no longer be welcome in the store after the 12 weeks notice.

Maybe you need to look more into the facts before you post

Edited at 03:46 PM.
Jen1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

most employers use these tatics - even NHS!

If people do not agree with the new terms then an employer can dismiss and re-engage. It isn't good practice but sometimes it happens.

Unless all the information is shared (not advisable ) then only those who are going through it know what is happening. However they may not be privy to all the details as they remain confidential during negotiations.
Old 18 Oct 19, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jen1 View Post
There is no redundancy on the table !
I have worked for Asda for 19 years and I personally would of taken redundancy rather then be on the new contract if this was a option.

There are many colleagues who haven't signed and have been told that they will no longer be welcome in the store after the 12 weeks notice.

Maybe you need to look more into the facts before you post
I mean there is literally no need to come across so angry... I thought redundancy was on the cards if the contracts weren't signed, but obviously what I've read/been told isn't true.

I'm happy to be proven wrong by someone who actually works for ASDA, so thank you for that.

It's obvious that I've offended you buy my "don't read everything you see in the news" piece... I stand by this as mostly it's ASDA who are telling news outlets what's going on, not the actual colleagues and I apologise if this is the case and wish you every single bit of luck.
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

There are no redundancies being offered up here.. some stores are closing and staff have the option to apply for any local vacancies under the new contract 6 ..it’s either sign up or bye bye..
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by wifey View Post
There are no redundancies being offered up here.. some stores are closing and staff have the option to apply for any local vacancies under the new contract 6 ..it’s either sign up or bye bye..
I said bye bye and left in July
Still work in retail and while it's not perfect (but what job is?) It's so much better and far less stressful.