Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Jul 17, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post

Is it doable?

Hi all
My hubby and I are planning on doing a 3 center trip, we have 16 days to do it, we have never been before so this will be our first time and we need some advice?
San Francisco-we want to do Alcatraz
Yosemite
Vegas
California-Disney
The 16 days includes 2 travel days from U.K. And back so really 14 nights?
We want to drive between the different destinations,
Are the distances long between the 3?
Which route is the best to take as we are not bothered which way around we do it?
How many days would you recommend spending at each location?
Hopefully someone can help? We are total novices when it comes to west coast!
Thanks in advance
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post

Also this would be for 2019 so we have plenty of time to plan
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Yes, it's certainly doable, it's almost the classic triangle of LA, Vegas and SF. We did something similar our first time to the west coast, but stayed in San Diego rather than LA. Open jaw flights would help if you can get them at the right price. For me it would be LA, Vegas, Yosemite and SF, or the reverse. The longest drive would be Vegas to Yosemite.
UncleLatch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

We're doing something similar in September.
2 nights in San Francisco. 4 in Honolulu. 1 by San jose airport (flight lands at 10pm). Then driving to Yosemite (4 hour drive) for a few hours, then driving (2 hours) to Fresno for the night. Next stop is Vegas for 5 nights via death valley. Then 2 nights at Disney and 1 in LA. We like to see things, take a picture and move on so that's the plan for Yosemite and Death Valley. Can't wait!
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

We are doing : San Fran, Monterey, Solavng en route to LA, San Diego then Vegas in 14 nights. So I'm sure that your plan is all very doable in 16 days. My husband cannot take 3 weeks at any point for holidays so we don't have that luxury, otherwise we would try spread it out a bit more.

Edited at 12:00 PM.
tinytots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
As with other replies, we also have a similar visit at the end of this August. We fly into San Francisco, driving to Pismo Beach (overnight) before continuing to Marina del Rey for 5 nights. We are then driving to Las Vegas for another 5 nights (hoping to visit the Grand Canyon), then a flight up to San Francisco for 4 nights before flying back direct to Manchester.

To get an idea of distances/travel times, look at Google Maps and plug in your planned stops e.g. San Fran-Yosemite, Yosemite-Vegas, Vegas-Anaheim (probably best location for Disney plus visits to the coast), then Anaheim-San Fran.

May be worth checking out open-jaw flights which should allow you to say fly into San Francsiso but return from LA, or into Vegas and return from San Fran.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Doable but I wouldn't. You are trying to do 4 locations in that as Disney is south of LA. You will lose 3-4 days in driving between those places. You will not really spend enough time in any one place to do more than the minimum.

I'd drop one of the locations.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

It sure is doable. the drive from San Fran to yosemite is about 4 hours, from Yosemite to vegas I would do a night stop to allow you plenty of time when driving over the tiago pass (lots of stopping spots). Doing this you would get into vegas early afternoon depending on how much you stopped in death valley. Then vegas to anheim is a 4 hour drive. You need 2/3 days in disney. So an early start from vegas would see you in anaheim for lunch and do the rest of that day and the evening in the park.
Breakdown 3nights san fran, 3 nights aheim, 4 nights yosemite, 1 night mamoth lakes, 3 nights vegas.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Note that the Tioga pass is only open certain times of year due to the weather. This year it was closed until quite late due to heavy snow over the winter, think it only opened a few weeks ago. This will affect the common driving route from Yosemite to Vegas, so you'd have to plan on going the long way around instead which would add more time.

Personally I would do open jaw flights and travel SF > Yosemite > Anaheim (LA) > Vegas to avoid having to drive a whole loop. And I'd shift a night or two from Yosemite to drive down the Pacific Coast Highway to LA (assuming it's open, it's also been closed this year due to storm damage) as that stretch is stunning. So my plan would be.

Fly in SFO
3 nights SF
2 nights Yosemite
1 night Monterey/Carmel area
1 night Pismo Beach/Morro Bay area (you could drive straight through to LA but it's a LONG drive)
3 nights Anaheim
3 nights Vegas
Fly out LAS

I have a night spare there so you could add it on to wherever you think you'd need more time. For me it would be Vegas as you could do a day trip somewhere like one of the closer canyons (or even Grand Canyon on an overnight trip) or Hoover Dam / Route 66.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 17, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi we did similar last year , 16 nights
1 n Santa Barbara after flight to LA
3 Monterey
4 San Fran
3 yosemite
4 vegas
2 Palm Springs .

So would suggest
1 n Santa Barbara if you fly to LA
2 n Monterey , perhaps whale watching , fantastic
2 San fra
2 yosemite
4 vegas
3 n LA/ Disney
Santa Barbara and Monterey will break that part of journey and the coast there is stunning and the roads will be open by then,hopefully.
Yosemite to vegas is a long journey which we did via tioga pass, stunning, others may recommend splitting this . We left yosemite
At 10 am and after a few stops got to Las Vegas late afternoon 5 ish. The drive to LA approx 4.5

Edited at 07:00 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List