Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Jun 21, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vowels View Post
I am giving my children's teachers gifts, I have done so since nursery. I think it is a nice way for the children to thank their teacher. They also give a gift to the cleaners/dinner ladies because they deserve one!
We always got something for the lunchtime helpers and the school club staff when DD was at primary too.

My colleagues always buy a gift for our cleaners at Christmas and the end of the year. They have a lot to deal with cleaning the loos in secondary school!
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 21, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I get Starbucks gift cards. My oldest told me her teacher uses all her gifted mugs to store pens and pencils in class, better than languishing in a cupboard I guess!
Old 6 Jun 21, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

As others have said, we don’t expect anything. That said, both the teacher and myself are very fortunate and usually given lots of flowers, chocolates, hand-written cards (so lovely). I have also been given a few cups/mugs and I do actually use them at home as the only sort we are permitted to use in the classroom are the lidded cup variety in case of spills (these are usually insulated keeping the drink hotter for longer, and imo more prone to tipping than a normal mug as they tend to be wider at the top. A drink in a normal mug would cool down as not insulated and less likely to tip (we never leave in reach of children anyway) but that it another subject!). I’ve kept all of the cards given to me, and with 4 children myself the chocolates don’t last long in this house!
I have thought about using all the little drawings & card fronts and seeing if I could collage them and then use them to personalise the front of a diary or notebook instead of them being tucked in a drawer upstairs. I might make this my summer project with the aid of some stick-back plastic!
A couple of years ago, the teacher I was with was presented with a huge bouquet of flowers from one of the parents. She obviously thanked the parents in person, but gave them to me after the children had left as she was going on holiday for a fortnight the day after and said they would be past their best by the time she returned (she also had no family nearby to gift them to), so I enjoyed that year!
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 21, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I never received a gift or bonus in 12 years as a soldier (not even in Northern Ireland, other than the occasional house brick!), 22 as a Police Officer (might be seen as an inducement) or 8 as a Hospital Security Officer and therefore until this year have never given one either at end of year, Christmas or any other time. Perhaps I was not very good in my jobs?

This year was an exception as, due to the Covid circumstances, I left a slab of Stella Tortoise for our unheralded dustbin men, who have worked throughout.
I would also have left a present for our Post lady, but she has this annoying habit of not knocking and then putting a non delivery parcel slip through my door whenever said parcel weighs more than a couple of ounces, resulting in my having to attend the sorting office. I suspect that it never leaves her van. She also since Covid, looks like a startled rabbit in a car headlights, whilst standing 4 yards back on the rare occasions when she does knock.

I struggle with the concept of rewarding people for doing their job, possibly because it has never happened to me… A ‘Thankyou’ when appropriate seems more than sufficient.
If they leave a card you can go to Royal Mail.com and rearrange free delivery on a specific day of your choosing rather than go to the sorting office yourself (handy as most have even more limited opening hours atm)

My neighbours at my old house were both primary school teachers who tended to go away as soon as school finished so My house was always full of flowers in July as they’d give them all to me as they were gone so wouldn’t be home to appreciate them. (They kept the wine though )
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 21, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
My second oldest leaves juniors this time, he has a one to one whos been with him since year 3, ill be gettin her wine and flowers and a card ill probably cry writing because shes made his school world light up to the point he will pass and in some get great depths in his upcoming end of year tests. which is alot for a child they didnt expect to read.

my twins are in year 5 and have had the same teacher for two years who also goes beyond the norm, wine and chocolates for her

I dont buy into best teacher items ive seen my own sister out the ones she gets in the loft yearly
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 21, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
ElsasGloves
Very Serious Dibber

I usually contribute to a class gift but last year the Head sent out a message to parents asking for no gifts to be bought, including gift cards. I think it was Covid related so will be interesting to see whether the same rule applies this year. It kind of makes sense, if the teachers aren’t taking books home and the kids have to keep their own resources in a tray under their desk then multiple presents from different households goes against the principle of teachers not handling items I guess.
ElsasGloves is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 21, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyFromage
Very Serious Dibber

at my daughters old school we all used to chuck £5/£10 into a kitty and buy vouchers for the local shopping centre

At my 2nd daughters primary no one does anything like that. i usually just buy them a £10 costa card as a little thank you.
LadyFromage is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 21, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Starmum22
Imagineer

Gifts are never expected or presumed but always, always gratefully received - no matter what it is! For those saying it’s a teacher’s job, yes it is but lots of people don’t realise how much teachers care for the children and it’s like a little part-time family that you build for a year then have to say goodbye! I always get the children gifts too.
Old 6 Jun 21, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I have a collection of the more personal cards I have had over the years. I keep them in my 'why do I do this job? ' box, so that when I feel like giving up, I can fondly remember, lift my head and carry on. It's usually the adults above me that cause the angst and the children who lift me again!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 21, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
RuthieR
Getting Excited

Don't forget the Office staff, they always get missed and they do a lot for parents / children.
RuthieR is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List