Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Jun 21, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

D-Day for us is mid July when our balance to BA is due. Sitting tight for now to see what, if anything, changes.

Haven’t booked or planned anything else. Pretty resigned to the fact we won’t be Florida bound this year 😭 but, if I can get the same trip for near enough the same price next year, we will rebook.

We will have a few days out here and there and might book a couple of two or three night breaks (costs depending), but we intend to save our money until we can take the type of holiday we want and not settle for a consolation prize.

Even if we did get the green light for August, there’s still the worry over testing positive just before you go! Also, DD is under 18 so won’t be in line for any jabs.

I honestly can’t believe we are still facing so many unknowns. 😟
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
slightly serious Dibber

We paid our Disney balance on Saturday so in it to win it now. I figure 19th July will be when we know for sure if it's happening or not. We haven't booked anything else as we figure we'd have to pay in full before that day so will either book something last minute in the UK or just have lots of day trips.

We do have our UK Disney Cruise booked at the end of August though so I know we have something. When I looked the other day, most cottages were booked up and as we now have an electric car, our choices are limited. I am hopeful for Florida but if it doesn't happen, we'll just move to next year and try again. We've both been working non-stop this year so a trip to the zoo is exciting to us these days!
Old 16 Jun 21, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
disneymummy
VIP Dibber

disneymummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Twinniemum View Post
Hi, can I ask, was next August not ridiculously more expensive for flights etc?
I always book DIY so I’m waiting on flights to be released. I had a BA fly drive booked for this year so I’ve got a BA voucher to use. Virgin only have UC left for my dates when I look at a fly drive with they're quoting 12k for two adults one teen and a child.

We’re happy to fly indirect though so hoping to not have to pay through the nose with BA.

Please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

I Drive 1990, 1992, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2004
POFQ 2007, 2012, 2015 & 2020
Old Key West 2014.
Yacht Club August 2017 & 2022
Walt Disney Dolphin 2024

New York 2000, Las Vegas 2003
disneymummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Animagus View Post
We will have a few days out here and there and might book a couple of two or three night breaks (costs depending), but we intend to save our money until we can take the type of holiday we want and not settle for a consolation prize. 😟
You may have fun finding places with availability for 2 or 3 night breaks in the UK - especially if you're after a weekend / school holidays. I rang round 6 hotels - admittedly not over cheap ones, in the £250 a night range - that we have visited previously and was totally flexible on dates right up to October. I managed to get one night at one of them, a Wednesday night too.

I booked it. It's in North Yorkshire so we may try to find an AirBnB on Leeds for a night or two on he return journey - but they are probably booked up.

Now that restrictions are lifting - albeit slowly - UK hotels & accommodation are in for a bumper year as people are just fed up being stuck at home.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachv38
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Littlelufs32 View Post
I've never done Butlins before.
Thought it looked ok for the kiddies as a back up but most of the reviews were brutal.
There's not much availability left elsewhere though.
We've been to all 3 butlins over the years, Bognor is by far the worst. We stayed in one of the hotels which was nice, that's about it. The whole park was a let down for us and we said never again. We also walked into Bognor which was a waste of time really. Save your money.
Rachv38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I wasn’t prepared to pay stupid money for a weekend break so we booked at Pontins in Pakefield . I didn’t think £99 pp half board was bad for three nights, the food wasn’t up to much so we ate out most of the time, hired a boat for the day on the Broads and explored the local pretty much deserted beaches despite the amazing weather this weekend.
Bed was comfortable , shower was hot , (entertainment was proper cringe holiday camp style but we checked it out once just to say we’d given it a chance) ,we’d do it again .definitely.

It was an adults only weekend , originally that week was supposed to be a sixties themed weekend that was cancelled as no dancing allowed still. There was a group of ladies average age seventy who still dressed up (not sure if they were making a point or didn’t get the memo but the outfits were very groovy), when I was looking for a table one of the staff told me there was an empty table “just behind Dave Dee, Dozey, Beaky, Mick and Titch” , I couldn’t stop giggling !

Edited at 01:45 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
You may have fun finding places with availability for 2 or 3 night breaks in the UK - especially if you're after a weekend / school holidays. I rang round 6 hotels - admittedly not over cheap ones, in the £250 a night range - that we have visited previously and was totally flexible on dates right up to October. I managed to get one night at one of them, a Wednesday night too.

I booked it. It's in North Yorkshire so we may try to find an AirBnB on Leeds for a night or two on he return journey - but they are probably booked up.

Now that restrictions are lifting - albeit slowly - UK hotels & accommodation are in for a bumper year as people are just fed up being stuck at home.
Wow! We are stuck with school holidays, so expect I’ve left it too late. If that’s the case, we will manage with a few days out here and there and keep saving for the US in the hope of actually getting there next year.
Thanks for sharing your experience of booking a U.K. break.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Animagus View Post
Wow! We are stuck with school holidays, so expect I’ve left it too late. If that’s the case, we will manage with a few days out here and there and keep saving for the US in the hope of actually getting there next year.
Thanks for sharing your experience of booking a U.K. break.
We managed to find an air B and B in Cornwall for 4 nights in august just a couple of weeks ago, so don’t give up hope there are things still available x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
We managed to find an air B and B in Cornwall for 4 nights in august just a couple of weeks ago, so don’t give up hope there are things still available x
Thank you. I think I’ll be having a trawl this weekend. Just had our inbound flights cancelled and only offered an alternative for the first leg. Can’t see it happening this year, so think I’ll contact BA and try again when the summer 2022 dates are released.
Old 17 Jun 21, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
meanwoodwhite
Excited about Disney

I would but unfortunately I have used up my two free moves with Virgin and now just have to wait. I will wait until 31 days out to cancel my DVC which will be about 21st of July
meanwoodwhite is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List