Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Jul 21, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Northwich View Post
When you’ve already made your mind up, and with you being ‘dispassionate’, there’s little point wasting my time putting the counter argument in really, is there? 🤷

You have your opinions (which I don’t necessarily agree with), and it’s vice versa for you, so will just have to agree to disagree
There is no counter argument. They willingly and knowingly broke the law in order to protect their company at the expense of the ‘little people’…. Us.

They should be prosecuted.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Our villa is already booked for most of next summer with guests who moved from 2020 and even 2021, many other owners are in the same position, I am genuinely wondering where the TAs are going to get accomodation from. Historically the owner ended up getting very little, I suspect they will have to increase payments now, and so they will charge more too. Supply and demand.
And before we are accused of being greedy, allowing people to move using their original deposits equals a big loss for us.
I know its no consolation financially but thank you for being one of the 'good guys' I think people are far more likely to use companies/villa owners again if they've been treated well when things don't go to plan. Our villa owner refused to refund us a penny or move dates, thankfully we were able to claim on our insurance but lost £100 excess. She helpfully said we could have £100 off if we rebooked!
Old 1 Jul 21, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by LizzyBear View Post
I know its no consolation financially but thank you for being one of the 'good guys' I think people are far more likely to use companies/villa owners again if they've been treated well when things don't go to plan. Our villa owner refused to refund us a penny or move dates, thankfully we were able to claim on our insurance but lost £100 excess. She helpfully said we could have £100 off if we rebooked!
Thank you for your nice comments. Very luckily we have taken lots of US bookings this year which has helped financially but last year was a washout. We could actually sell for a large profit as many have but our Florida adventure isn't over yet and the kids would never forgive us.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DanLees
Getting Excited

There is no counter argument. They willingly and knowingly broke the law in order to protect their company at the expense of the ‘little people’…. Us.

They still might be but any fine will be no more than slap on the wrist.

Another way of looking at it, is that the Law is not fit for purpose within a Pandemic and rather risk going under if they behaved by the letter of the law (fairly likely) they chose to do what is in the best interests of the company and risk prosecution (fairly unlikely).

Don't underestimate how heavily leveraged a lot of airlines are and how low their margins are.

Long term it's better for us to not have had airlines go under as less competition means higher flight costs.

I was on the receiving end of Ryanair's refund "policy" and I just got the CC company to sort it, which they did with almost zero drama.

With regards to Villa owners, you are very good allowing people to move dates without them losing deposits. Lots of Chalet owners (incl one I have used before) were telling people to claim off their insurance for loss of deposit when travel bans came into play at relatively short notice. They stated that they would go under if they started issuing refunds as all their costs still needed to be paid and to be fair I understand their position!
DanLees is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DanLees View Post
They still might be but any fine will be no more than slap on the wrist.

Another way of looking at it, is that the Law is not fit for purpose within a Pandemic and rather risk going under if they behaved by the letter of the law (fairly likely) they chose to do what is in the best interests of the company and risk prosecution (fairly unlikely).

Don't underestimate how heavily leveraged a lot of airlines are and how low their margins are.

Long term it's better for us to not have had airlines go under as less competition means higher flight costs.

I was on the receiving end of Ryanair's refund "policy" and I just got the CC company to sort it, which they did with almost zero drama.

With regards to Villa owners, you are very good allowing people to move dates without them losing deposits. Lots of Chalet owners (incl one I have used before) were telling people to claim off their insurance for loss of deposit when travel bans came into play at relatively short notice. They stated that they would go under if they started issuing refunds as all their costs still needed to be paid and to be fair I understand their position!
We did help people claim off their insurance where relevant. I'm neither a living saint nor a millionaire. 😂
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
We did help people claim off their insurance where relevant. I'm neither a living saint nor a millionaire. 😂
You are a person with a good heart.

This debacle has financially affected many people and some have behaved with greater fairness and integrity than others.

Hoping that you have a good, remainder of 2021 and a fabulous 2022.

Edited at 12:29 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Egon
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Leia77 View Post
Who was that with, please?
British airways, Ex Manchester on the 24th May 2022. I have car hire to get but that shouldnt be more than £500
Egon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
You are a person with a good heart.

This debacle has financially affected many people and some have behaved with greater fairness and integrity than others.

Hoping that you have a good, remainder of 2021 and a fabulous 2022.
Why thank you kind sir. I think a few would disagree with you. 😂
Old 1 Jul 21, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Egon View Post
British airways, Ex Manchester on the 24th May 2022. I have car hire to get but that shouldnt be more than £500
Definitely good prices to be had with BA atm. Add a hotel and only pay a deposit.
They were fantastic with us when everything was being cancelled. I had my money back with 24 hrs.

Only downside is no direct from Man, but hey I’ll drive to lhr for the savings and not having to fly with virgin!
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post

Yeh, stuff the little people who are employed by them eh\/
So long as you can get your money you're allright jack, bet your job us safe because of all the little peoples taxes
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List