Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jan 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
xXxSammi88xXx
VIP Dibber

Collecting loved ones ashes. Sensitive post

I just wanted to ask a question to see if this is the norm or if i’m being over sensitive. Yesterday the funeral home called me to say my grans ashes were back and ready to collect so that afternoon i went in and got them.
Brought them home,opened the box and her ashes were dumped in a plastic see through bag. With a piece of paper stuck on top with her cremation number.
I was so upset as i just wasn’t expecting it. I presumed there was an urn inside the box as the funeral home didn’t ask me about purchasing anything.
Should i have been offered to buy an alternative or is this the norm when you collect ashes? I’ve never had to deal with anything like this before so i honestly dont know. I just found the whole thing so upsetting
xXxSammi88xXx is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I think I would have been upset too.

They probably expect you to request something but like you I wouldn't know.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

I remember finding this slightly surprising too but I do it believe it to be the norm as that’s all I’ve ever been presented with since the first occasion.

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Thats awful, i would have been upset too. I have no experience of this, so cant offer advice, but i dont think you are being over sensitive at all. Its a very difficult time, but i wouldve hoped the funeral directors would have experince and professionalism to have advised for this? Judging by previous poster it would seem not, i find this a bit heartless for want of a better word? I am sorry for your loss xx

Edited at 12:16 PM.
littlelish0544 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
princess annie
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I’m so sorry for your loss and the upset this has caused you. To answer your question, yes it is normal. That’s how we received my MIL’s ashes.
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

From personal experience the funeral home should of asked if you wanted an urn. When my grandad died we purchased one from them and they came in the urn.
My Nan died at the end of November and we collected her ashes this week.
Same as you in a cardboard box. The difference being that is how we asked for them as we are not sure what we are doing with the ashes yet.
I don’t think you are being over sensitive, but it is normal I’m afraid.

You can get lots of lovely urns, I think you need to decide if you are going to keep them in a visible place and want something quite decorative. Or you may want an oak box for example that can be buried.

Edited at 12:14 PM.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
scottlynn
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Agreed having collected 3 lots of ashes last year, they were all in clear bags and then in a box . I too was shocked first time but it seems the norm . We were never asked about an urn and we just didn’t think to ask . Sorry for your loss .
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

So sorry for your loss and Sorry you had a shock, but it is the norm sadly. They should have gone through the options and you would pay extra for an urn.
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
suehen
Imagineer

Sorry for your loss, I know that BIL were in a plastic bag in a cardboard box with his name on it my grandparents were released in the park next door there request. BIL's as the family were planting a tree in memorial for him they kept them in the box as a year later the ashes were used when the tree was planted in hole with the roots of the tree.
suehen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

The funeral home I used for my mum, dad and husband sent all the ashes home in a plastic urn for us to do as we wished with them.
Mum and dad are scattered with my sister, their 1st child.
Hubby's I bought a heart shaped urn and they are in my bedroom.
I think picking the ashes up is an upsetting thing to do and probably a shock for you ❤️
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List