Holidaylover19
VIP Dibber

Holidaylover19's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
I'm Not Grumpy, Just Happy and Sometimes Sleepy! September 2022 pre trip report

Hello! As I finally completed my Feb 2019 TR, I feel qualified to do a pre trip for my next, solo adventure. And here we go!

Just me this time!

Tell me more!

I was so excited to go back to Disney in February 2021...then a little thing called Covid hit and of course, that never happened. I started a new job in March and started planning to go on a solo trip in May 2023, but then Disney released their 50th anniversary offer for 2022. I was tempted, very tempted. I worked out that I could afford to do it if I went later in the year and went ahead and booked.

It's not quite as good an offer as free dining, but I have no guarantee of that returning, and as a solo traveller the $488 dining credits work out to $61 per night which was my food budget anyway. (and the $200 gift card takes care of the few souvenirs I do buy and a tip or two if I want to treat myself to a sit down meal) Plus the free goodie basket sweetens the deal a little as well.

And maaaaybe one of these as well...

So what's the plan?

The plan is 8 nights at Coronado Springs resort, with BA flights for the first time, as Virgin no longer seem to fly from Gatwick and I would rather fly from Gatwick than Heathrow as I'm in South London and it's closer. The flight is earlier at 10:10am so I'm planning to stay overnight the night before to make it easier.

The resort is new to me and I'm looking forward to it. However, if Port Orleans Riverside reopens, I'd like to move there as I really enjoyed my stay there in 2019, it's so beautiful. The one problem with moderates though is that they're huge with multiple bus stops.

I have 7 whole days to enjoy so I have enough time to do each park at least once with MK and Epcot twice and also have a rest day in the middle to visit a water park or maybe finally go golfing. As much as I'd like to do Universal, I just can't afford another set of park tickets.

To do-list
[x] Book flights
[x] Book Disney hotel
[x] Book airport hotel
[x] Book park tickets
[x] Do ESTA
[x] Get travel insurance
[] Plan travel to/from Gatwick
[] Plan travel to/from WDW
[] GET SAVING!

Thanks for reading, I'll update more as I plan stuff!

480 days and counting!

Edited at 09:52 PM.
Holidaylover19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 21, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Elsa42
Apprentice Imagineer

Elsa42's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Coronado springs is lovely! I’ve stayed there and really enjoyed our trip. There’s some nice walks too. We didn’t find the multiple bus stops a major issue. Look forward to reading more plans!
Elsa42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 21, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida1972
Excited about Disney

Fantastic 🙂
Happy planning, I look forward to reading along with you
Florida1972 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 21, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

I would love to do a solo trip one day! Coronado Springs is a great resort, the pool area is especially fab. Although I do know Port Orleans gets rave reviews from anyone who stays there.
Looking forward to reading any updates!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 21, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Holidaylover19
VIP Dibber

Holidaylover19's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Resort Switch!

Update!

I just switched to Port Orleans French Quarter! It was £30 more per night or £240 total which isn't too bad. I've stayed at Riverside and loved it, but it was a bit more expensive. Still, I'm so excited to stay at French Quarter for the first time. And more importantly, I was able to retain the dining credits/$200 gift card offer too.

I'll be able to ride these boats again

Edited at 10:48 PM.
Holidaylover19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Holidaylover19
VIP Dibber

Holidaylover19's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Airport hotel and insurance sorted!

Booked my airport hotel and also sorted out travel insurance!

For the hotel I booked the Premier Inn at the North Terminal which was £82.50 including breakfast. A good deal I think. I can fill my boots and then walk to the terminal to check in by 7:30am.

It goes without saying that I have also been to Primark, multiple times, to pick up plenty of Disney garb to wear. Gotta look stylish!

Now I only have to sort out how I'm getting to Gatwick. My first thought was by train, but it would be two trains and whilst that might be fine on the way there, on the way back I don't think taking two trains after a 8 hour international flight is a good idea. I almost got on the wrong train the other day and that was a regular work day. I may just book a taxi.

Edited at 10:49 PM.
Old 4 Oct 21, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Danex
slightly serious Dibber

We are big fans of the Port Orleans resorts as well, I’m sure you’re glad you were able to move.

Enjoying reading your plans x
Danex is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 21, 04:19 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Depending on where in south London you are you could get the train to a closer point and cab the last bit if a cab all the way is extortionate . Don’t forget the Thameslink would get you a lot closer maybe than the Victoria services that serve Clapham Junction depending on which bit of south London you are. (I never use the Gatwick Express as I see no point in doubling back on myself )
Port Orleans FQ is my favourite moderate , the theming is great but the smaller size and the boat to DS for evening dining are the major reasons.

Edited at 04:21 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 21, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
samhartwell
Very Serious Dibber

Hey Emma - great plan (I would love to do a solo trip! )

POR and FQ great as well - our favourite!

enjoying reading everyones pre trip reports its my guilty pleasure!

sam
Aug 2015 - West Coast road trip number 2
July 2017 - East & West Coast trip No 3
samhartwell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 21, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Holidaylover19
VIP Dibber

Holidaylover19's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Depending on where in south London you are you could get the train to a closer point and cab the last bit if a cab all the way is extortionate . Don’t forget the Thameslink would get you a lot closer maybe than the Victoria services that serve Clapham Junction depending on which bit of south London you are. (I never use the Gatwick Express as I see no point in doubling back on myself )
Port Orleans FQ is my favourite moderate , the theming is great but the smaller size and the boat to DS for evening dining are the major reasons.
My plan was train to London Bridge then a Thameslink to Gatwick. I'm in a bit of an awkward place for getting around so either way it would be two trains.