Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Jun 21, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Egon
slightly serious Dibber

Mine went from £4700 to £3099 leaving on the 24th may.
Egon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Egon View Post
Mine went from £4700 to £3099 leaving on the 24th may.
Who was that with, please?
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Northwich
Dancing with Tink'

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
All of those airlines and companies who saved their skins by giving out credit notes through bullying and/or rather than complying with the law are acutely aware of the ‘use by dates’.
They will be determined to devalue them as much as they possibly can by ramping up prices in the surefire knowledge that as long as those customers break even or better, they will be desperate to spend them.

Surely nobody thought that these companies would act honourably did they? They have morals lower than a Pythons testicles
Im sorry, but I think you are being unduly and frankly unnecessarily nasty towards the travel companies here.

These companies have had 18 months of little to no revenue, and as you say now have pent up demand to endure, so what we’re you expecting then to do exactly?

With that little to no revenue coming in, the only government help has come from either the furlough scheme, which:
-isnt industry specific
-doesn’t help travel agencies which have had to have staff coming into work, so that they can deal with holiday changes. Otherwise they would leave customers completely stranded.
-And they do all that work knowing this doesn’t contribute to new income, it’s just moving the deckchairs.

There have also been some government loans, but that just burdens the companies with more debt. And again, that debt comes at a time when little revenue has been made, so they are now ‘robbing Peter to pay Paul’ with this money now.

Rather than calling these companies ‘dishonourable’, maybe understand that these companies are also in a situation they didn’t ask for. They have no control over the borders and they are just as frustrated as we, the customers are.

‘Holding on to customers money’ was the only way some of these companies would have survived. And if they hadn’t survived, well, if you are complaining about prices now, then I’d guess you’d have gone into despair at how high prices would have gone with the lost capacity and lost competition.

So rather than accuse of ‘dishonourable’ practices, I’d be careful what we wish for, because if they hadn’t been ‘dishonourable’, as you put it, we would be talking about a very different picture for 2022….
Northwich is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Northwich View Post
Im sorry, but I think you are being unduly and frankly unnecessarily nasty towards the travel companies here.

These companies have had 18 months of little to no revenue, and as you say now have pent up demand to endure, so what we’re you expecting then to do exactly?

With that little to no revenue coming in, the only government help has come from either the furlough scheme, which:
-isnt industry specific
-doesn’t help travel agencies which have had to have staff coming into work, so that they can deal with holiday changes. Otherwise they would leave customers completely stranded.
-And they do all that work knowing this doesn’t contribute to new income, it’s just moving the deckchairs.

There have also been some government loans, but that just burdens the companies with more debt. And again, that debt comes at a time when little revenue has been made, so they are now ‘robbing Peter to pay Paul’ with this money now.

Rather than calling these companies ‘dishonourable’, maybe understand that these companies are also in a situation they didn’t ask for. They have no control over the borders and they are just as frustrated as we, the customers are.

‘Holding on to customers money’ was the only way some of these companies would have survived. And if they hadn’t survived, well, if you are complaining about prices now, then I’d guess you’d have gone into despair at how high prices would have gone with the lost capacity and lost competition.

So rather than accuse of ‘dishonourable’ practices, I’d be careful what we wish for, because if they hadn’t been ‘dishonourable’, as you put it, we would be talking about a very different picture for 2022….
Could you then explain this.

If a flight is cancelled, then the Airline has a legal obligation to refund the customer within 7 days. Am I right in this assertion? I believe so.

I have not the slightest interest in the difficulties that this may cause as I am a rather dispassionate, objective person. The Law is the Law, simples. It is a legal obligation and to fail in this obligation should result in prosecution and if it comes to it, failure of the company.
Sometimes the law may not work in your favour or mine, but it is the law and is designed to protect others.. the consumer, who may actually need that money rather urgently for various reasons and should have it in their bank account within 7 days as it is their money and not the airlines, who are in fact using it as an unauthorised and zero interest loan for an indefinite period.
Due to the initial chaos, I accept that there may be initial issues, but a certain Airline with a red tail refused point blank to obey the law and then obfuscated, claimed ‘training issues’ and anything else before saying that it would take 120 days plus to produce these refunds to which customers were actually entitled to and within 7 working days. At the same time, they were very keen to issue credit notes as an alternative within hours. Do you honestly believe that this is fair or even truthful? Do you honestly feel that they have met their legal obligations? Do you honestly believe that they should not have been prosecuted for flagrantly breaking the law?

Now, we wind forward 1 year plus and those customers seek to cash in those credit notes. An Easter Hols flight to Orlando return with that same airline is now towards £2000 pp at worst. What do you think they are trying to do? They are trying to negate the value of those credit notes that decent and well meaning people agreed to in good faith. Some repayment!

As a career Police Officer, when I investigated allegations of law breaking, I reported the circumstances and where appropriate recommended prosecution. I honestly and truthfully cannot see why those certain airlines are not answering for their wrongdoing in a court of law.

I do not feel that I am being overly zealous or even unfair. It should never have been allowed to happen. That is why laws exist.

There are certain companies involved in this debacle that I would never under any circumstances use again and there are others...
My first flights with BA were cancelled in March. They complied with the law and my refund arrived after 9 days (7 working).

My second flights were with American for August 2020. I cancelled on them, but they insisted on offering a refund because they had changed one of my flights from a direct to an indirect. It arrived after 4 days.

I also had an internal with United Airlines. They offered a credit note as the flight was still scheduled. When the flight was cancelled, they refunded after 5 days.

And you think that I am being unfair? I have a long-standing and total belief in obeyance of the Law. Were their practices legally compliant? No. Did they have full knowledge that they were breaking the law? Yes.. and therefore their behaviour was dishonourable.

You talk of their survival or otherwise creating a very different 2022. Well, I remember what this same airline did to the prices on the Man- MCO route after the demise of Thomas Cook. It is a dog eat dog world in aviation and they have been prepared to bite rather hard when they can get away with it. Perhaps those airlines who obeyed the rules may feel that their rival should be thrown to the wolves in order that they may take similar advantage and eat them. I hope not, but only for selfish reasons, but you may understand the position of rivals. Let us not for one second believe that the lovely, cuddly bearded hippy is into the game of giving us cheaper vacations.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:01 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
nickand
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Hello, I booked August 2022 back in September with virgin holidays fly drive. i checked my dates today and it is £3000 more! Still hoping to go this August! 38 days...
nickand is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

I am itching to book next year before the flood gates open but we are going in November and travelling to two states so have to wait until xmas to book. I am dreading to think what flights will cost- only positive I have budgeted for premium so if that's the price we have to pay for economy to be able to go so be it

All of Team Bricki's Trip and Food Reports

2019- Our Super Secret Wedding and Honeymoon In Disney World
2022- Brett's 40th Celebrations In Orlando
2023- Lisbon and Sorrento
2024- Athens and Italy Tour
2025- Seville

INSTAGRAM teambricki_yorkshire_foodies
princessnicki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Pent up demand I would say, and needing to recoup over a year of making next to no money. Our plan next year is to fly indirect if we are priced out of direct, or do similar to CFB and fly via another US city and spend a couple of nights there. I definitely agree that it will be a year when many will need to 'think outside the box' if they want to obtain flights for a reasonable price
Old 1 Jul 21, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
DanLees
Getting Excited

Holidays for 2022 are expensive for a few reasons. None of them particularly complicated:

1) Pent up demand due to the best part of 2 years without "proper" holidays
2) Unless you spent your money on pizza ovens, hot tubs and garden furtniture, there is lots of disposable income out there for the same reason.
3) Vouchers. Holiday companies and airlines who are on their knees and who have continued to incur (admittedly less) costs during covid won't want to be discounting flights. If I have a voucher for 2k, flights will suddenly be 4k. The airline makes money from me even with a voucher and $$$ from those without.

Prices won't go back to "normal" for a long while, if ever.
DanLees is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Northwich
Dancing with Tink'

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Could you then explain this.
When you’ve already made your mind up, and with you being ‘dispassionate’, there’s little point wasting my time putting the counter argument in really, is there? 🤷

You have your opinions (which I don’t necessarily agree with), and it’s vice versa for you, so will just have to agree to disagree
Northwich is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 21, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Our villa is already booked for most of next summer with guests who moved from 2020 and even 2021, many other owners are in the same position, I am genuinely wondering where the TAs are going to get accomodation from. Historically the owner ended up getting very little, I suspect they will have to increase payments now, and so they will charge more too. Supply and demand.
And before we are accused of being greedy, allowing people to move using their original deposits equals a big loss for us.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List