Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 12 Sep 04, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Rio's 4 week American Adventure...Wk 3

Monday 16th August
Had to be up early as we were going to Las Vegas today. So it was up at 7am, showered and packed and off to Denny's for breakfast before hitting the road at 8.30am.
We stopped off at Hoover Dam which was just amazing, it's so much bigger than I imagined . We didn't have time to take the tour, so we just walked around and took photos of Emily straddling the Arizona/Nevada border and so did everyone else, we had to queue to do this. While we were there, it started lightning, not the ideal place to be in an electrical storm, so off we went not knowing the storm was going to follow us.
Arrived in Las Vegas in the most horrendous thunderstorm, there was rain and hail as well as thunder and lightning and the trees were bending in half with the wind as well as all the rubbish flying around! My friend was trying to drive and see where she was going, but I was no help whatsoever, i was videoing this storm! The strip flooded and the Stratosphere tower was hit by lightning, but no damage or casualties.
Arrived at Circus Circus and we were in room number 14722 on the 14th floor. The hotels very big and crowded as well as old and a bit tatty, but the room was clean, it was ok for $53 for the 2 nights for me and Emily!
We unpacked and then ate in the hotel before wandering down the Strip totally in awe at this place. It was like Blackpool, but a much grander version. We watched the show at treasure island then went into the Venetian where we rode in a gondola with the man singing to us, it was fantastic.
We did a bit of shopping at the Rockport shop and Burberry before catching the monorail back to the hotel, we fell into bed shattered!

Tuesday 17th August
Didn't sleep too well so i was up at 7.30am and decided to have a walk round the hotel which was packed even at this hour. Fruit machines before 8am? I bought postcards to send home before heading back to the hotel where Susie was just waking up, but of course I had to wake the living dead (Emily)!
Emily wanted breakfast at Mc Donalds, don't know why we come on holiday to eat there, but I did enjoy it.
After breakfast we caught a taxi to the Hard Rock cafe as Emily has taken to collecting the teddy bears from there, then it was another taxi back to the strip to look round the hotels. had to take taxis in that heat. After walking round for hours we decided to go back to Circus Circus to have a dip in the pool, thats where we were wrong, you couldn't get in the pool, it was wall to wall kids in there!
We settled for a shower and then a walk over the road to look at the Wedding Chapel before going to the Stratosphere Tower which we didn't go up as $9 each just to go up and back down was a bit too much so we had dinner there instead.
then it was another taxi down to Fremont Street where we watched 3 light shows there, they were all different and very good, we even saw Elvis walking down the street and had our photo taken with him. We headed back along the strip to the hotel and it was still 99 degrees at 11pm!
Emily wanted to go into the Adventuredome, so we stayed in there watching the circus acts till 1am before calling it a day.
The corridors were just full of kids lying around waiting for their parents to come off the slot machines...poor things.

Wednesday 18th August
We got up and went for the buffet breakfast in Circus Circus which was very nice then back to the room to pack our things together and put them in the car.We had decided to go to Siegfried and Roys Secret Garden at the Mirage Hotel before we left Vegas as Emily loves dolphins and it was lovely seeing them just playing and not performing in a show. The white tigers and white lions were beautiful as well and we would loved to have stayed longer, but my friend had to get back to work the next day.
We arrived back in Anaheim at 8pm after driving 1,200 miles and into 3 states, my friend dropped us off and it was up to the room to unpack and do some washing.
Getting into bed, I suddenly got a sharp pain in my foot, I looked down and it was bleeding a little, but a big blue lump had appeared and it was painful,I checked the bed and it was a piece of metal from the frame that had come loose but was covered by a valance, but as it was 10.30pm, I just got into bed.

Thursday 19th August
Didn't sleep too good last night due to the pain in my foot so I went down to the desk to report it. they were very nice and told me to sit down while they got the housekeeper. When she arrived she said I needed to get to hospital, so they paid a taxi there and back for me and after 5 X-rays, they said it was a contusion (a bruise)and that I had to take it easy.
Back at the hotel I gave them the medical report and they insisted we ate in the hotel restaurant for lunch(it was quite pricey).
After lunch we sat round the pool to rest my foot, but decided to risk going to California Adventure in the evening, after all it was our holiday and we couldn't keep sitting down.My foot started to ache a little around 10pm so we got the bus and went back and I put an ice pack on it.

Friday 20th August
We decided to spend the day at Disneyland and just take it easy with my foot, if it ached, sit down!
We wandered round going on Splash Mountain and Indiana Jones, and went to a little mexican place for lunch right next to Thunder Mountain. As we were eating our tacos and chilli, the trains on Thunder mountain started going round (its been closed since an accident there)so we finished eating to go and enquire what time it would be open, only to be told 1 or 2 weeks.
We headed back to the hotel pool around 4pm to give my foot a rest for the evening, then we headed back after a quick sandwich to spend the night wandering round Disneyland watching the parade, fireworks and fantasmic before going back on the 10.20pm bus for a cup of tea and bed.
There are babies that were going to bed much later than we were!

Saturday 21st August
We were really excited about today, Joanne was picking us up to take us shopping to Beverly Hills and Rodeo drive!
We headed for the Burberry shop where we both bought perfume and Emily bought a gift set with body lotion etc in it.We then went to Niketown for Emily to get some more Shox, but she didn't like any so we headed for Rodeo Drive. It was not like I thought as we had been told by a coach driver that you couldn't buy anything under $5000 and that the shops kept their doors shut and it was appointment only...what a load of rubbish, we went into every shop and yes, some were very expensive, but Emily bought some perfume for under $50 and I bought a Lacoste polo shirt for $70 and so did Emily, we would probably pay that if not more in London!
We found a lovely little Italian panini place for lunch before going back and hitting the shops, this was why I was put on this earth...to shop in Beverly Hills!
After a full days shopping it was back to the hotel for a shower then we dressed up and went to the Bella Maris restaurant for a pizza, it was rather expensive (they own the Bellagio in Vegas) so we settled for the "mini" pizza, it filled the plate and we struggled to eat it! , but that was the best pizza I have ever tasted.

Sunday 22nd August
After yesterdays shopping, our legs were rather tired and I forgot I had a sore foot! so it was the pool till mid afternoon then we nipped down to Disneyland just to watch the parade then back to have some tacos for dinner.
After dinner we went down to California Adventure as we were in need of a Tower of Terror and California Screaming fix! as we were walking along, Emily said there was no queue for the Grizzly River Run so we decided to go on it and now we know why it was so quiet, the water was flowing extremely fast and we got so wet, we had to go back to the hotel as its too chilly at nights to walk round wet through. I could wring my sweatshirt out it was that wet!
After drying off we watched tv with a cup of tea. I have never watched so many episodes of The Simpsons as that was all we could find to watch, i thought tv over here was bad!

To Be Continued...

Edited at 06:55 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 04, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
janeywaney
VIP Dibber

janeywaney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Wow what a great few days!
August 06 All Star Sports, August 07 All Star Music, OKW August 08 OKW Nov 09 All Star Music Feb 10, OKW Sept 10 OKW Sept 2011 , OKW Nov 2013, Pop Cenury Sept 2014, OKW Sept 2015, OKW Nov 16, OKW Sept 17, OKW Aug 19
janeywaney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 04, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post

We had a ball, though it was very tiring, especially for my friend doing the driving.Will post the final week of our trip over the next day or so.
Love Rio
Old 13 Sep 04, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post

It has got to be my dream some true to see Elvis in Vegas! Even if I can't see the real one leather clad (as I'd REALLY like to!) a pretend version would be great. You were very lucky.

Alison
Old 14 Sep 04, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Alison, we saw him dressed in black and also a big fat one dressed in white standing on the strip asking if you wanted to be photographed with Elvis, then charged you $10! What a way to make a living, we said no of course.
Love Rio
Old 14 Sep 04, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List