Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 20 Jan 20, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

My parents have done a TA on QM2 and loved it - but they are a retired couple who have been on a lot of cruises!

The question this thread begs is why specifically do you want to do a transatlantic? By your own admission, you're concerned about rough seas and boredom, so what is the pull that is balancing that out? If you love sea days on cruises, and have been on Cunard - specifically QM2 - and are happy with their entertainment for the whole family, then why are you concerned about being bored? If, on the other hand, you don't feel she will offer enough for the duration of the TA cruise, then why are you still considering it?

I appreciate what you say about having a tight window, but it's likely that there are a number of suitable non-transatlantic cruises departing in that window. It just strikes me that if you aren't sure it's what you want, you might be better to consider something else.
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

We have done a transatlantic to Miami on Celebrity and loved it. We did not get bored on our sea days as they had some excellent speakers, dh went to some tech lectures and they also put on additional shows in the theatre.
Just before Christmas my brother sailed home from New York on Queen Mary and he said thhat they had one spell with very high waves but because she is built as a liner rather than a cruise ship it made no difference to his champagne cocktail and he did not lose any of it. Again there was so much to do he felt short changed as he was not able to fit in everything he wanted to do.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
For me the cruise comes down to ports I want to visit and price.
I can deal with a few boring days so long I eventually get what I want ie a port.
Boring ?
I’m the opposite I chose my upcoming cruise out of the final two because it had an extra sea day One port of Call we probably won’t even bother going ashore as we have done it before and can take or leave it.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Boring ?
I’m the opposite I chose my upcoming cruise out of the final two because it had an extra sea day One port of Call we probably won’t even bother going ashore as we have done it before and can take or leave it.
I find sea days boring. I think I also worry maybe too much about the kids thinking that too. They went in the kids club a good few times last time but for some reason I hate the thought of sticking them in there all the time rather than spending time together but I’m the only one that seems to feel like this as the kids constantly asked to go to the club! We are going on p&o and have never tried another liner as I can’t find any good prices for us that would make me go.
Although now the kids know how to play bingo we might go to that. I don’t think p&o is really geared toward kids but as it’s not our main holiday this year and the price was good with the ports we wanted I’m willing to risk being a bit bored.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We sailed for a week on board P&O Azur with our then 12 year old grandson. He loved going to the kids club, lots of kids there, plenty to do and, best of all, X-Box type games.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
smedley
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve cruised transatlantic but ours was adults only from Barcelona to port canaveral. We had a couple of wobbly days but I popped on my sea bands and was fine. There was a plethora of options on the cruise and we had spa access for the duration, definitely didn’t feel short of things to do

Previous trips (mostly villas,) '98,'00,03,04x2,06,07,11 (first onsite stay SSR),12 villa and RCI cruise,14 OKW,15 RCI cruise, Clearwater and Int Drive. 16 West Coast DL, 17
smedley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
sunnysandra
Very Serious Dibber

Really interested in this thread , my hubby won't fly and I'm desperate to do New York . Has anyone done Southampton to New York stayed a few days and cruised back ? This is the only way I will get to NY
sunnysandra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sunnysandra View Post
Really interested in this thread , my hubby won't fly and I'm desperate to do New York . Has anyone done Southampton to New York stayed a few days and cruised back ? This is the only way I will get to NY
So I'm doing this on Disney this year. I have however done Barcelona to New York and my sister has done Southampton to New York on Cunard. Hers was very very rough - she ended up getting sea sickness tablets as she felt rather green. Mine was smooth sailing and I didn't notice any real movement during the day and minimal at night (ship tends to travel at higher speed at night so in general will be slightly more movement). These were both however in September. I really enjoyed sailing into New York as its a beautiful sight. This time though I'm coming back straight after the cruise as haven't got enough leave for any more days.
Old 22 Jan 20, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by sunnysandra View Post
Cunard do a round trip TA, maybe they would let you split it and leave a week in the middle for what you wanted to do. I’d ring and ask them, they are incredibly helpful.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

We looked at doing a TA on Queen Mary with dd but decided against it as we felt there wouldn’t be enough to keep us occupied if the weather was bad.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List