Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Feb 19, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
In other words see if it's more important than the person you are speaking to ?

I have a saying ... My phone is my servant , I am not its slave. One of my pet hates are people who message then whine if they don't get an instant answer ... emergencies apart it's rather illuminating how special some people think they are .
You deserve a BB gold star !
Old 11 Feb 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Reading these posts I am actually embarrassed about my phone use, I have a work phone and a private phone and I literally check them constantly
The only social media I use is this forum so I can’t use that as an excuse.
I’m so dependent on them I check my work phone dozens of times a day and even take it on holiday( I had to get special permission to do this due to the security of my job)
I definitely need to lighten up, one thing I don’t do though is use it if I am out socially with someone, but all my friends do.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

As someone of ‘mature years’, I have worked hard to be tech savvy with my iPad, iPhone, apps and various gizmos. I’m not going to start ignoring them now - face up or face down! 😂 I have the alerts for various apps set to how I want them - it’s simply a tool that works for me.

Edited at 10:45 PM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
BarrettFamily
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I have an Apple Watch and do check when it buzzes but I don’t tend to read the messages until later. However, this is a new behaviour for me but my FIL is terminally ill and I want to be contactable if he suddenly goes down hill.
WDW All Stars Movies 2001- 10th Anniversary
WDW Carribean Beach Resort 2006
WDW All Stars Music 2008
WDW Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa 2018 - 50th Birthday Celebration with Mum.
BarrettFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I will glance at my watch and see who it is. I don’t always respond immediately but I’d be more distracted wondering who it was. However I don’t get that many notifications.

My dd’s phone however can vibrate constantly and she does get asked to silence it.

If the house phone rang when you were chatting. Would you ignore it?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Holidaylover19
VIP Dibber

Holidaylover19's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
I check it immediately, unless I'm talking to somebody or eating.
Holidaylover19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 02:28 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
If the house phone rang when you were chatting. Would you ignore it?
Think this is a very valid point. I am conditioned to answer a ringing phone, so I would answer it. If someone rang my mobile, I might check to see who it was before I answered it. This would result in me saying - oh I am sorry, I have to get this do you mind, or letting it go to answerphone.

It's the buzzy notifications and vibrations that get me. I get lots of emails, I ignore those notifications, whatsApp I ignore for 5 mins or so then check to see if it's kids with urgent issues.

If it's text it tends to be from my mum, who is old school, texts but expects an instant answer and gets worried when there is no immediate reply. So I would pick that up.

If in work or at dinner table I ignore it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

There is the other side of things - I don't actually give out my personal mobile phone number much - so texts and calls are always from people I have chosen to hear from, my doctor, or kids school.

My contacts list numbers less than 10.

These days of data protection are fab - if you are expecting a delivery etc you can sign up to notifications, then when item is delivered immediately remove the permission to contact. Same with any sites that "require a contact number".
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Days!
I've received a text on say a Friday, heard it, forgotten it, only notice it when I get to work on Monday & get my phone out to listen to music; sometimes my phone has no power left either on a Monday!

DH turns his phone off when he leaves work each day; it sometimes stays off from Friday evening to Monday morning.

Eating out last weekend, we glanced around and were the only couple who didn't have our phones on the table in front of us.
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List