Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 2 Mar 20, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Santa Monica / Magic Mountain / LA / Disneyland - mini report

Thought I would throw up my mini trip report from a solo trip I just made for my 40th Birthday year

So I decided to stay in Santa Monica over LA mainly because of all the reports of how rough and sprawling it can be. I don't think it was a bad choice but Santa Monica left me wanting a little more. Seriously lack of beach bars to relax in etc. Only found one when I did a beach front walk from Santa Monica to Venice Beach. The pier is nice but the rides are over priced. The sunset is the main winner hear. Breath taking

I stayed at the Santa Monica Motel which is about 15 mins walk from the Beach / Pier. The walk to the Beach was nice during the day but it gets a lot rougher once the sun goes down. The motel was really nice and very cheap compared to other hotels / motels in the area. You get a lot for your money - free parking / free breakfast. Its a good place to stay but I would get a lyft / uber back at night rather than walk.

I did the LA in a day tour first day run by rastabus/ which I would highly recommend. Lots of great information and the main sites ticked off in a day. Glad I did it in the tour bus because driving / parking in LA is hard work compared to the rest of the states and to be LA is a rough city. You don't want to be in the wrong part of the city at the wrong time. I saw two huge police incidents while I was there. The tour bus driver just said welcome to LA people

Next Day I did Magic Mountain. Which is good but not brilliant. Good rollrcoaster / poor food / nice in Feb but I would imagine in the summer the crowds make the place less enjoyable.

Next day I took it easy as I drove down to Anaheim. I visited some filming locations I wanted to see on the way day before dropping off my car hire at the Alamo drop off next to my next hotel the Alpine Inn. Its about a 15 min walk to the entrance of Disney land. I went for a walk around the Garden Walk complex which is nice but not a must do at all. It was mostly closed when I was there besides a few shops and a couple of restaurants. Not sure if I was too early for it or if was because its "off season".

The Alpine Inn is nice enough - good price point and reasonable sized rooms. Pools is a bit laughably small in the middle of the car park. I had no interest in using it.

It was great to visit the original Disneyland and also California adventure. Both have a couple of unique and interesting rides. California Adventure in particular have the fantastic Radiator Springs, Guardians Ride and Incredible Coaster, loved all three. The Bobsleigh ride and Space Mountain version at Disneyland where really good. Found the Peter Pan and Pinocchio rides to be not as good as other versions at other parks - felt dated and faded - needs a touch up. Lots of the other rides where very similar to other versions.

Found the parks to be more like Paris than World. the whole layout, fastpass systems and feel felt the same. I didn't much care for it being almost totally quick services with long queues and very varied food quality. For example I have the Friend chicken at Flos Cafe and Plaza Cafe. It was lovely at the Plaza but awful at Flos. The snacks available are far restricted compared to World. Loved the Bread tour - very unique

Paying an extra $20 for Maxpass is a must and also an annoying extra expense. You really can't maximise the fastpass system without it I found and if you want the character photos its a must.

I like both parks but I only needed a day in each to get pretty everything done this time of year and I wouldn't like to visit in the height of summer. I think it would much less manageable experience. I preferred World but I do like some of the ride versions at California better.

One thing I was disappointed with was the cast members. Much less friendly or helpful than at World and to be quite frank, bordering on rude a lot of the time. But also the make up of the crowd at the West Coast Disneyland is different than world I found - in itself its less friendly likeable crowd in general (more local than international) and I think this probably has a direct effect on the cast members approach and attitude is a conclusion I came to in my limited 2 1/2 days in the parks.

I flew with Air New Zealand which was fantastic and I did the Skycouch on the way back which was even better - allowed me to sleep and get back onto UK time.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay but I won't be rushing back the west coast. Much preferred the resort experience of World.

Bucket list items ticked off so very happy.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 20, 01:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Stan1805
Serious Dibber

Mobile

We are hoping to do L.A. in a day tour. Did it give you enough time at each stop ?
Stan1805 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 20, 01:08 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

just enough... it is a whistle stop tour!
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List