Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Jan 20, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile Road trip RV hire

We would like to go on a road trip Dec 2020.

2 Adults 2 children

Does anyone have any reputable RV hire companies ?

Or can point me in the direction of any trip reports ?
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

No experience but I looked into renting an RV for our holiday last summer to California but was put off by it being quite expensive when you add in the RV campsites fees plus the RV stops were a fair distance to a lot of the major attractions meaning we would need a hire car as well. This is assuming your doing a typical California road trip?
It was a shame as it looks like a really fun way of travelling

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

How would it work with a Hire car? I think you would travel in the RV to the attractions.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
How would it work with a Hire car? I think you would travel in the RV to the attractions.
You can get RVs with hire cars ‘strapped’ on the back, we saw it a few times last year. Alternatively one of us would drive one as there were 4 adults in our party.
A car would be useful for any city driving, I personally wouldn’t want to drive an RV around LA.
It’s certainly doable to do it in just an RV it just seemed more hassle than what it was worth to us

Edited at 06:30 PM.
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

These are the companies I looked into and got quotes from

cruiseamerica/rv-ren...ons/california

elmonterv/rv-rental/...ls-california/

motorhomerepublic/un...ates-rv-rental

Not West Coast but I think it was Campinggirl that did a trip report for their Canadian road trip in an RV so might be worth a read

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 31 Jan 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi I think the main thing people encounter is that everyday if doing a road trip is the packing everything up each morning, also with large vehicles not everywhere is easily accessible.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

I priced this up one year and the cost when you take everything into account is eye watering. You have flights, rv rental, car rental, fuel, payment per so many 100 miles, rv campsite costs. But i would love to do it, and i would love to read a trippy if you do it.

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
jacy29
Proud to wear my Ears

I'm following this with interest as we are currently planning an RV trip on the West Coast for 2021 (San Diego, Los Angeles (with Disney!), San Fran, Yosemite, then back to LA)

I'm thinking that a road trip in an RV would mean less packing and unpacking than staying in a variety of hotels? I also didn't realise that you can pay to hire a car too.

Hope someone has experience of this
jacy29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I honestly wouldn't drive an rv in any of the cities, Imagine San fran 😳. We have done a couple of road trips now with a car and hotels and packing cubes was a god send. I would love to do the rv road trip but probably out of the cities.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
jacy29
Proud to wear my Ears

What are packing cubes please?
jacy29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List