Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Feb 20, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
pinktraceb
slightly serious Dibber

pinktraceb's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 12
Mobile Hotel choices in LA

We're planning on staying 4 nights in LA in August, but I'm really struggling to decide what hotel to book!

I really like a cheap ish hotel in Glendale the Hampton Inn & Suites
tripadvisor/Hotel_...352909?m=19907

The husband likes the look of The Garland in Burbank. But I think it's an extra £500 for our dates & is it worth it?

And we both quite like the look of Level Furnished in Downtown tripadvisor/Hotel_...914622?m=19907

So after all that waffle my questions are

- Is Downtown a safe area?
- has anyone stayed at any of these hotels and can give feedback?
- Would you spend an extra £120 per night when it's just somewhere to rest your head?

We are 2 adults, 2 teenagers going in August

TIA
The Bacon's Go Back May 2015
Ramada Gateway & OKW 2017
pinktraceb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I can’t comment on your hotels but what you want to do when you are in LA should really dictate where you stay and you may find it best to stay in split locations . I would google crime around the locations to see what comes up - LA like ever other large city does have some serious areas to avoid and those can be just a block away from a seemingly safe area and as it doesn’t have a city centre per se it is worth doing your research to both where you stay and indeed where you drive through when you are there . I tend to stay where I know - i Dont like the Disney area so stay in Santa Monica and it’s a fairy short easy drive to visit the parks (traffic permitting ) and I get to stay in a safe and vibrant place. I also stay at Chateau Marmont or West Hollywood (a friends hotel ) when visiting that area like we are doing this summer which is ideal for studio visits and some of the best restaurants in LA .

Edited at 10:42 AM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Ive been going to the LA area for the last 10 years and I agree, choose your location to suit what you want to do. Many eople really underestimate the travel time and distance between point A and Point B in LA, its a very different city to what we are used to in Europe.

I have stayed in
Santa Monica
Santa Monica Motel
Comfort Inn Santa Monica

Downtown LA
Kwada Hotel
The Wayfarer Hotel when it was The Milner Hotel

Hollywood
Travelodge Motel near Vermont and Sunset

I have also stayed at 2 AirBnB's, one in Hollywood and one is South Pasadena. I recommend both of them and will give you the details if you are interested.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Doris1971
Excited about Disney

Hi Bad Pink Tink

I am interested in the Airbnb’s you stayed in in in Hollywood/ South Pasadena areas.

Was there parking with these?

Thanks in advance
Old 23 Feb 20, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Doris1971 View Post
Hi Bad Pink Tink

I am interested in the Airbnb’s you stayed in in in Hollywood/ South Pasadena areas.

Was there parking with these?

Thanks in advance
This is the AirBnB in Hollywood
airbnb.ie/rooms/13658078...JA H7sPDxX5S5

Its suitable for a couple or a solo person, its just one double bed. Its very central, I walked to it from Hollywood and Vine Metro station, took me about 10 minutes.

I didn't have a car but the listing says Please ask us about Parking, Luggage Storage & Bicycles. They are available at additional fees Its in a residential area, my friends were able to find a parking space when they were collecting me or bringing me back, but that was just for less than 15 minutes.

This is the AirBnB in South Pasadena
airbnb.ie/rooms/10317135... 4QGfXvqf%2Bc

Its suitable for up to 4 people, there are 2 double sofa beds. South Pasadena is a very quiet old California town / suburb about 30 minutes north east of Hollywood. It has a direct metro train to Union station, in Downtown LA. The metro station is about 10 minutes walk along the high street area. The AirBnB is in a residential area. I didn't have a car but this is what the listing says Free street parking during the day. Overnight street parking in this neighborhood is by permit only, which can be purchased up the street at the police station for $2 a night. There is a vending machine in the lobby that is open 24/7 at 1422 Mission St. or you can get one in advance online.

I would stay in both of them again.

Both are super hosts and both properties are self check in, and self contained apartments which are only used for AirBnB guests. The host of both properties live in different properties.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Doris1971
Excited about Disney

Thanks Bad Pink Tink, much appreciated!
Old 24 Feb 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Pasadena is a stunning suburb of LA - very quaint and safe . If you ever saw Father of the Bride and the sequel they were filmed there and give you a real flavour of this middle class area. Great gardens to visit and galleries (they call them art museum) too
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Gillybean08
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

Pasadena is beautiful, we stayed at the Westin but would happily stay elsewhere in that area. My son is a huge Big Bang theory fan so it suited us both.
We didn’t spend very much time in Downtown but it’s not an area I would pick, especially at night although the police presence in that area was reassuring. We didn’t see any incidents but they do patrol more around there.
Gillybean08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List