Notices

Old 21 Mar 20, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Aah I'd forgotten it wasn't a split stay and you would still have the room at POR. That's convinced me even more you should be grateful for the refund. I'd hate the idea of you cancelling your trip, but this is not cancelling its just a tiny part of it.
Oh we definitely are, I thanked her so much this morning as I honestly didn't expect it at all. I've spoken to Chris and he agrees to a refund. I messaged her and requested one and said if the trip goes ahead we will definitely re book through her if we can x

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I had a little chuckle to myself about the potential of your presentation and report being combined. I too hate presentations so this would be a winner for me too.

Kelly your experience with Virgin sounds awful. I do feel for the companies involved too as obviously they are losing out through no fault of their own but how they deal with things now is what many of us will remember when booking in the future. Expedia are off my list for the future that is for sure.

I would cancel the BWV booking, at least you'll have the peace of mind that the money is not lost. It was a kind offer from the renting member.
Yeah I really don't like them, to be fair I didn't feel nervous with the last one, I just had an awful cough and kept coughing throughout I just don't understand how we're expected to work with the kids home. The older 2 aren't too bad but Noah need's 1to1 supervision, even at home. We can't leave him in a room with the others as he will hurt them or do something he shouldn't.

Today has been horrendous with him, I know he's struggling with all the uncertainty, as we all are, but he's been crying at the drop of a hat, exploding over the tiniest things, throwing things, ripping things, refusing to follow instructions (such as tidying up) and is just totally on edge. I feel for him I really do, but it's only day 1 and taking it's toll on us already, particularly when I've had a headache since last night

One student from my course is writing a letter to the head of school. Most of us on the course are either parents or work in the key worker roles. All GCSE and A-Level exams have been cancelled, however, we've been told we still need to continue with our assessments and dissertation with our agreed hand in dates. Our public services tutor is going to try and do lessons online for us. That's all good and well but how am I supposed to sit for 4 hours to do a lecture and seminar online with the kids here? Especially Noah. I struggle to work with distractions and noise (hence why I usually stay back on Monday's and Thursday's at Uni) so it's just not going to be possible at all. I know Chris is home but he also has to work from home, he can't just take 4 hours out the day to see to the kids so I can do a lecture and seminar and same for my dissertation. We just feel it's really unfair given the circumstances.

Sorry for the rant

It was very kind of her, I really didn't expect it to be honest, I hope Disney allow them to extend the period in which they need to use them by so they aren't out of pocket also! X

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
I’m panicking about virgin too. I’ll be sat on that phone till they give me my money and I don’t think I will go back if they are going to be this bad
I think they will have a lot of disgruntled customers if they don't refund. We would probably rebook for next year with them if the prices came down, but at the minute it's just not feasible. Chris has obviously had to cancel the upcoming weddings he has (around 4 before we're supposed to go on holiday and 1 from June has rearranged too) meaning that they're pushing their weddings to further in the year limiting the dates we can possibly return as well. If they cancel rather than rearrange he will have to pay those back, just like you would expect any business to do when he can't fulfill their contract!

We're sitting tight and hoping that by May things will be starting to settle down. I think the 16th April ban will be extended to the end of April, but none of us really know what will happen, we just need to keep our fingers crossed x
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 20, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie52
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I think you did the right thing requesting the refund. Hopefully you will still be able to go and can rebook the night but if not at least you are not out of pocket.

Poor Noah, it's such a tough time for us all so can imagine how much he must be struggling

Uni surely have to make allowances for the change in circumstances, like you say its just not feasible to expect you to get that work done or attend lectures with the kids at home, especially when they are going through a period of such uncertainty and need you present more than ever! I hope you get somewhere with the uni and tomorrow is a better day for you all xx
DLP Halloween 2021 - Davy Crockett Ranch, DLP Nov 2022 - Les Villages Natures
minnie52 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by minnie52 View Post
I think you did the right thing requesting the refund. Hopefully you will still be able to go and can rebook the night but if not at least you are not out of pocket.

Poor Noah, it's such a tough time for us all so can imagine how much he must be struggling

Uni surely have to make allowances for the change in circumstances, like you say its just not feasible to expect you to get that work done or attend lectures with the kids at home, especially when they are going through a period of such uncertainty and need you present more than ever! I hope you get somewhere with the uni and tomorrow is a better day for you all xx
Thanks Candice, we haven't requested yet as technically they haven't cancelled, we're waiting for the FCO to extend the date from 16th April to cover our dates before we'll be eligible for the refund.

Luckily Noah has settled a little bit throughout the week. I made a plan fro each day, including breaks, school work, lunch and free time just to keep some sort of structure which worked really well for the boys.

I've struggled with work, but it's kind of my own fault. I offered to leave the laptop on and just do work as and when needed. Our department deals with the community so we're having quite a bit of work to do to help with foodbanks, local community help etc. But I felt guilty sitting doing nothing for hours (as there was no work) and putting time down for it. It ended up meaning I had the laptop on all day every day constantly checking. I felt I had no time for the kids or myself, so we've agreed to me doing 2 1/2 days this week. Giving me 2 1/2 days to do housework, stuff with the kids and hopefully Uni work.

Uni side of things we've applied for mitigating circumstances. The head of school told us we needed to either defer a year, hand them in on time or apply for mitigating circumstances. I have half my presentation done that's due on Monday. I had a bit of a carry on with that as my tutor hadn't emailed any feedback back after 2 weeks and 3 emails! She eventually emailed me back last night. I doubt I'll get it done for Monday but I've been given a weeks extension on that which I'm hoping will be ok. I've been given 4 extra weeks on my dissertation taking it to the 21st May so hopefully I can get them in on time. I have a 3500 word essay due 4th May which we haven't even started yet so will have to see how that goes. The mitigation will probably give us a couple of extra months to complete but we don't know when we'll find out if it's been granted which is a pain.

Yesterday was a really hard day for me, I spent most of the day crying, I think everything's just totally overwhelmed me. I think it's finally sunk in that no matter how positive I try to be we won't be going on our holiday in May

I've started to look at other potential dates and the only ones we could do this year would be 30th May - 18th June, 2nd or 3rd October but only for 2 weeks not 19 nights, or 10th October - 29th October. Otherwise we're looking at May next year Ideally we'd prefer to not do October with going in December. The other issue we have is if we go 10th October we would lose the free dining so would have to factor that cost in on top. So many things to think about and try and sort. Based on what people have said about Virgin I'm not expecting to get a refund easy. If Virgin can offer the above options for the same price (or less price and a partial refund for the 2 weeks not 19 nights) then we will probably rebook, if not we will need the refund. I have requested prices from My Magic Holidays for the dates also incase we need to go for the refund option.

Today's been a better day, I had a lie in till 8.30am, got up had two cups of tea and watched more Disney Fairytale Weddings. We then started the housework when Caitlin and Chris got up, we dusted, hoovered, mopped, polished, emptied the dishwasher, washed and dried the kid's bedding and cleaned the bathrooms. I made lunch then we watch Toy Story 3. I then made old school rainbow cake, just sponge cake with white icing and sprinkles. I made tea then we had the cake and custard for dessert and finished our night off playing PayDay

Tomorrow I'm making a roast chicken dinner and need to sit down and try and do more of my presentation or dissertation.

Hope everyone's coping ok and staying safe? Xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
arosiem
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Aw no - it’s all going on isn’t it bless you.

I hope you get mitigating circumstances- I know my uni were funny about allowing it but given the circumstances I really don’t see how they’d be able to refuse it.

I’ll keep everything crossed that it all settles by May for you - but if not I’m sure you’ll be able to get rearranged. I have no idea about virgin but someone on here I’m sure said that Disney itself have been fab.

Sending all my well wishes your way! xxx
arosiem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
It's so sad you're having to think about rescheduling, but I'm pleased to find out there may be dates that work for you later in the year, so possibly you could still go away.

The extension on your presentation and dissertation is positive although I'm sure you're finding it hard to motivate yourself and then when you do be motivated you've got to juggle having everyone at home.

I watched one of your vlogs at the weekend. I think it was Caitlins birthday (hoping I haven't misremembered) anyway it was so lovely to watch. It was the one where you were at HS and were watching all the shows. It really looked like you all had fun going from Indy, to Beauty and the Beast, you even fit in the Little Mermaid show. I'm glad you and Chris are still posting them. I'm finding it hard to watch vlogs sometimes as I'm finding it hard to concentrate on things. But when I do it's a lovely distraction from all the news and I'm really enjoying that. In the video you included the bit at the beginning of the Indy show and I love watching the kids on the stage saying their 'Lights, camera, action' bit as Max and Kate were picked to do that back on our 2016 trip. I love remembering all our happy times and so I'm very grateful when people share their videos or trip reports as it always jogs my memory.

Xx

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.

Edited at 04:49 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Isn't Disney Faiytale Weddings a lovely show!? I think I am too used to TLC car crash television and I expected to hate the couples but there was some lovely stories.

I can't stop thinking about you and your trip. I'm so sad for you, you must be sick with worry. I was supposed to go to Boston on the 20th March (that now feels a million years ago) so I do know how you are feeling. The not knowing is the worse thing, I was agonising over whether or not it was wise to go and was glad to eventually have the decision taken out of my hands.

When I saw you were considering October for alternate dates I was excited as I will (hopefully) be there from the 23rd-29th. I know you are concerned about losing Free Dining but if you look into moving to a Value and paying OOP for QSDP you may find the price is similar to your current deal. That said, given that you have a December trip pencilled in I think it may be wise to postpone until next May. So sorry you are having to deal with this, it is so horrible.

The Dibb is usually such a happy place but it feels so very sombre just now.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by arosiem View Post
Aw no - it’s all going on isn’t it bless you.

I hope you get mitigating circumstances- I know my uni were funny about allowing it but given the circumstances I really don’t see how they’d be able to refuse it.

I’ll keep everything crossed that it all settles by May for you - but if not I’m sure you’ll be able to get rearranged. I have no idea about virgin but someone on here I’m sure said that Disney itself have been fab.

Sending all my well wishes your way! xxx
We'll hopefully have a decision next week on what's happening with Uni. We've seen reports of other Uni's giving students no less than the grade they've currently achieved, however assignments etc still need to be submitted but if these are lower than what you've earner so far this year you won't be penalised. So basically if you were working at 2:1 that's the lowest grade you would get, however, if the work you submit is more it can bring your grade up. For me I've been working at a First all year so I really hope this applies as it will take a huge amount of pressure off, but we'll just have to see.

Sadly Disney won't deal with us as we've booked through Virgin. I did use the text service the other day but still haven't had a reply, I understand they are busy though and we do have another 5 weeks before we're due to go so there are loads of others before us to see to x

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
It's so sad you're having to think about rescheduling, but I'm pleased to find out there may be dates that work for you later in the year, so possibly you could still go away.

The extension on your presentation and dissertation is positive although I'm sure you're finding it hard to motivate yourself and then when you do be motivated you've got to juggle having everyone at home.

I watched one of your vlogs at the weekend. I think it was Caitlins birthday (hoping I haven't misremembered) anyway it was so lovely to watch. It was the one where you were at HS and were watching all the shows. It really looked like you all had fun going from Indy, to Beauty and the Beast, you even fit in the Little Mermaid show. I'm glad you and Chris are still posting them. I'm finding it hard to watch vlogs sometimes as I'm finding it hard to concentrate on things. But when I do it's a lovely distraction from all the news and I'm really enjoying that. In the video you included the bit at the beginning of the Indy show and I love watching the kids on the stage saying their 'Lights, camera, action' bit as Max and Kate were picked to do that back on our 2016 trip. I love remembering all our happy times and so I'm very grateful when people share their videos or trip reports as it always jogs my memory.

Xx
I doubt we'll be able to do October as they aren't honouring the dining plan as it's out of the dates and I doubt we could afford to add it on, when I looked I think it's around £3k to add it on! There's no point staying on site for 3 weeks if we haven't got a dining plan I don't think. I've also heard they are postponing the free dining offer for next year, which makes things a little more tricky for rearranging too! I know Virgin won't rearrange and give us free dining next year when Disney haven't released it so I think in this instance we may have to request a full refund and wait to rebook when things have settled. If worst comes to worst we might just add an extra week on in January and book a week at Disney.

I just hate the unknown. You hit the nail right on the head there, my motivation is absolutely 0, it is so hard to get motivated and I definitely can't concentrate with the kids at home either.

Aww I'm so glad your still enjoying watching them Abby, they are becoming a bit scarce as we really struggled towards the end of the holiday, the Disney blues definitely set in Caitlin's birthday was the Typhoon Lagoon day, this was the day after, we had such a full exhausting day we got so much done in HS that day x

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Isn't Disney Faiytale Weddings a lovely show!? I think I am too used to TLC car crash television and I expected to hate the couples but there was some lovely stories.

I can't stop thinking about you and your trip. I'm so sad for you, you must be sick with worry. I was supposed to go to Boston on the 20th March (that now feels a million years ago) so I do know how you are feeling. The not knowing is the worse thing, I was agonising over whether or not it was wise to go and was glad to eventually have the decision taken out of my hands.

When I saw you were considering October for alternate dates I was excited as I will (hopefully) be there from the 23rd-29th. I know you are concerned about losing Free Dining but if you look into moving to a Value and paying OOP for QSDP you may find the price is similar to your current deal. That said, given that you have a December trip pencilled in I think it may be wise to postpone until next May. So sorry you are having to deal with this, it is so horrible.

The Dibb is usually such a happy place but it feels so very sombre just now.
It really is, I've told Mr Grump we should renew our vows and do it as a Disney Wedding he just scoffed at me I dunno whether it was the proposition of wedding vows or the whole Disney part haha.

Thank you Colette, I'm so sorry your trip was cancelled too, I really feel for anyone who's had a trip cancelled, whether it be Disney or a camping holiday. You build yourself up for a nice break away and it really knocks you when it's cancelled I hope you get to rebook Boston again when this has all blown over.

Oh yay! It would be amazing if we could be there at the same time. I've had a look and availability in October is shocking, in fact it's just showing the GF now so I highly doubt we'll be going in October. Even May next year may not happen if there's no free dining plan. The other issue we have is being a family of 5 we're quite limited to where we can stay, I think in the value resorts we can only get a room at Art of Animation and a suite is generally more than a room at POR

Hopefully we'll get some sort of clarity in the next few weeks.

I hope you guys are all keeping safe and well. I'm off work again today and typically have another headache! We had a bit of a baking marathon yesterday, we made cornedbeef pie, rainbow cake (again as they demolished the last one by Monday!) and cheese scones I'm hoping to finish my presentation and get it recorded and uploaded tomorrow. I have a teams meeting with work in the morning then we have the weekend off again. Me and Noah are currently sat watching Pocahontas xx
Old 4 Apr 20, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
CJC
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Sadly today taken decision to start cancelling airport hotel plus lounge and onsite parking, plus discovery cove and car hire etc etc for our May holiday - hopefully getting full refund. Spoke to travel agent yesterday about 2021 prices who confirmed Disney are treating March to October as one price band as 50th anniversary so despite going outside school holidays the price is too high so decided Disney doesn’t want us back and will seeking package holiday full refund once FCO confirm no travel, virgin cancel flight or Disney confirm no hotel/parks. So sad 😭
CJC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 20, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Hi Kelly, just catching up. What a stress you had over your tickets not being linked on FP day. I'm glad you got almost everything you wanted in the end - I just hope it's not for nothing now

Congratulations on your new job. I hope you're settling into it well although I imagine it's quite difficult with having to work from home right from the start. They seem supportive, so that's good.

I really hope you get all of the extensions etc., for Uni sorted out. It must be stressful not knowing what's happening after all of your hard work. At least you're working to an excellent grade at the moment so that should be honoured for you. It must be very hard with working and Uni, and the kids homeschooling as well.

In regards to your holiday, are you still hoping it goes ahead or will it most likely be cancelled now? You put so much work into the planning, I hope at the very least, you manage to find a way to change it to a different time. It's all so unsettling at the moment with everything going on. I hope you're doing ok and the kids (especially Noah) are settling into the new routine.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 20, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CJC View Post
Sadly today taken decision to start cancelling airport hotel plus lounge and onsite parking, plus discovery cove and car hire etc etc for our May holiday - hopefully getting full refund. Spoke to travel agent yesterday about 2021 prices who confirmed Disney are treating March to October as one price band as 50th anniversary so despite going outside school holidays the price is too high so decided Disney doesn’t want us back and will seeking package holiday full refund once FCO confirm no travel, virgin cancel flight or Disney confirm no hotel/parks. So sad 😭
Such a shame I hope you manage to get your refund quickly xx

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Hi Kelly, just catching up. What a stress you had over your tickets not being linked on FP day. I'm glad you got almost everything you wanted in the end - I just hope it's not for nothing now

Congratulations on your new job. I hope you're settling into it well although I imagine it's quite difficult with having to work from home right from the start. They seem supportive, so that's good.

I really hope you get all of the extensions etc., for Uni sorted out. It must be stressful not knowing what's happening after all of your hard work. At least you're working to an excellent grade at the moment so that should be honoured for you. It must be very hard with working and Uni, and the kids homeschooling as well.

In regards to your holiday, are you still hoping it goes ahead or will it most likely be cancelled now? You put so much work into the planning, I hope at the very least, you manage to find a way to change it to a different time. It's all so unsettling at the moment with everything going on. I hope you're doing ok and the kids (especially Noah) are settling into the new routine.
Hi Lynda, thanks for checking in.

Yes it was such a chew and all pretty much for nothing now sadly. The fact that Disney are closed until at least 31st May means the trip is a definite no now. We are trying to rearrange for either October 2020 or May/June 2021. But Virgin have said that October is coming in at 000's more and we refuse to pay anymore than we already have. Next year it is the same they have said so I think the only options we're going to have is to cancel and re-book once everything's settled down as everything is just so expensive right now.

Work is going quite well, I've been there 1 month tomorrow now, I can't believe it. They are so supportive especially in the current situation. I'm not really doing the job I should be, but then again most of the employees aren't right now. We're hoping to back in the office in 8/9 weeks! For now we're just carrying on as we are.

We are still not further forward with Uni. I've just been emailing my tutor this afternoon, they still haven't had any verification from the OU so we're still pretty much in limbo. My tutor has applied for mitigating circumstances. He suggested June hand in dates but I told him realistically I can't reach these targets with the kid's being off, it's just not possible. We also don't have access to all the resources and the lectures online don't seem to be working either. He has now suggested September but this can be extended if needed. Ideally we're hoping the OU will base our grades off what we have so far, which for me would be a First.

I had a wobble early last week as I got my time constraint case study results back and it was my lowest grade for probably 2 years and really brought my grade down, but I am literally just over getting a First, so if the OU do what I mentioned above it will take a lot of the strain off.

We're not doing too bad, Noah's settled down a lot now, the first couple of weeks he really struggled bless him. All the kid's have coped so well, I'm so proud of them, shame I couldn't say the same for myself I had some sort of panic/anxiety attack when I went shopping last week and it's really set me back but I'm starting to feel more positive now thankfully.

It's Noah's 7th birthday Sunday and he's asked for a chocolate birthday cake so we're going to make that tomorrow. He's even set a timer on Alexa for 2.30pm on Sunday for his cake bless him haha. Can't believe my baby boy will be 7 on Sunday, just wish time would slow down.

Hope your all well and keeping safe throughout all of this Lynda Have you rescheduled your Route 66 trip? Xx