Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 10 Mar 20, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile Getting around the parks with an injury?

Evening all,

I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the right place so apologies if not.

DS14 injured himself playing football (he’s a crazy goal keeper). This was in November and he finally had a long awaited hospital appointment today. Unfortunately, he’d been referred to the wrong department and he has had to be re-referred. There is a possibility he will need surgery. Obviously, there’s a good few months until we go yet but I don’t know how long we are going to have to wait for his new appointment date.
Currently, he can only walk for short distances at a slow pace. No running/jogging or anything that puts any weight through his hip.
If he’s still like this in July (and given that he’s no better than he was in November) I’m thinking he might be, I’m wondering whether he might need a wheelchair to get around. Otherwise, he’s going to struggle even with a couple of hours in the park.
Other than Disney, can you hire them elsewhere? Or do they sell them in Walmart etc? I imagine that would work out cheaper?
I think he’ll be fine with queuing as it’s slow paced. Is there a place outside the queue entrance where you can park the wheelchair?

It’s all just so up in the air at the minute. I really was hoping today would give us some answers but other than a re-X-ray to confirm that he hasn’t broken his pelvis, we are no further forward.😫

Thank you
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Have you considered getting one over here and taking it. That way you will have it in the airport and push him straight to the plane door
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

You can buy one at home and take it or hire from the likes of Randy Moblity Orland medical rentals or order online from Walmart and pick up in store or have it delivered
You can on many of the rides take th wheel chair in the que or use a wheelchair Entrance but a broken pelvis can take months to heal so some of your ride choices may be limited
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
You can buy one at home and take it or hire from the likes of Randy Moblity Orland medical rentals or order online from Walmart and pick up in store or have it delivered
You can on many of the rides take th wheel chair in the que or use a wheelchair Entrance but a broken pelvis can take months to heal so some of your ride choices may be limited
Thank you.
I’ll check out the prices.

He’s not broken it. Thankfully. They did another x ray today to double check but definitely not broken.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Have you considered getting one over here and taking it. That way you will have it in the airport and push him straight to the plane door
I hadn’t thought of that. 🤔
We are flying from Heathrow Terminal 3 and I’m not familiar with Heathrow. How big is it? I’m guessing it’s not Dubai big? (That is one long trek from plane to immigration to leaving the airport!) If we’d been flying from Manchester, I think he would have been able to cope without one. I’ve checked out prices on eBay and they’re pretty reasonable.
Old 10 Mar 20, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
We are flying from Heathrow Terminal 3 and I’m not familiar with Heathrow. How big is it? I’m guessing it’s not Dubai big? (That is one long trek from plane to immigration to leaving the airport!) If we’d been flying from Manchester, I think he would have been able to cope without one. I’ve checked out prices on eBay and they’re pretty reasonable.
They’re less than a hundred quid from Argos. Best thing we ever bought my dad. He didn’t use it much but was great to know it was there if he needed it. (And easy to return should you need to... if he’s much better by the time you go and doesn’t need it... )

Really hope your son gets things sorted though, it’s frustrating not knowing and having things up in the air x
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by TheHughesCrew View Post
They’re less than a hundred quid from Argos. Best thing we ever bought my dad. He didn’t use it much but was great to know it was there if he needed it. (And easy to return should you need to... if he’s much better by the time you go and doesn’t need it... )

Really hope your son gets things sorted though, it’s frustrating not knowing and having things up in the air x
I think I’m leaning towards buying one. 👍🏻

Thank you for your kind words. It’s the not knowing that’s the worst.
Old 11 Mar 20, 05:44 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Heathrow is a large airport. I have only transferred in Dubai (numerous times though) and I would say I have walked far greater distances in Heathrow, but I could have just been lucky with my gate locations in Dubai.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Heathrow is a large airport. I have only transferred in Dubai (numerous times though) and I would say I have walked far greater distances in Heathrow, but I could have just been lucky with my gate locations in Dubai.
The last time we landed in Dubai, I think we must have been at the very furthest gate. It took about 30-40 minutes to walk to immigration. Thought we’d just be holidaying in the airport it took that long.😂
Old 12 Mar 20, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
BigPetesWife
Imagineer

Look at the Red Cross here as well, they hire/lend them. You are probably all over it, but just in case, I would make sure that your insurer knows of the injury/treatment.

Hopefully, he'll be recovered by then (fingers crossed for you)
BigPetesWife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List