Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile Marella Flavours of the Caribbean - Highs and lows

Highs

As 10 hour flights go, the flight there wasn’t awful, films were good, food was good, and organisation getting us through the airport and onto the ship was excellent. Really loved being flown by a young woman. Made me strangely emotional.

My cabin was absolutely fabulous, it was at the back of the ship and low down, but it was light, roomy and spacious. Storage everywhere. I actually loved having an ocean view, I still probably wouldn’t ever pay for one, but it was lovely being able to look out to sea.

They were really organised when it came to the weather and the change in itinerary. They had several viable options, and new paperwork was out in no time; and actual new activities were scheduled in to pass the time. Loads of activities were put on at very short notice on the unexpected sea day. Communication second to none.

Breakfast and lunch in the main dining room was great, well organised and efficient, tasty too. I didn’t have breakfast anywhere else, and I took opportunity of a waiter service lunch anytime I could. None of that buffet scramble for me.

Other than the odd surly receptionist/bar waiter, the staff were all absolutely wonderful. The captain was so engaging and chatty and I looked forward to his regular chats on the tannoy. He was called Captain Chris Douglass and the ladies LOVED him. To be fair well deserved as I have never known a better captain.

Havana... just wow, such a hodge podge of everything. I did it all completely by myself, just wandered out and stopped for Mojitos when I fancied it. I walked miles and miles both days and took so many photos. It was warm and I came back a sweaty mess both days, but the pool was bliss then. I felt safe on the whole. My friend who went travelling over there explained it to me, as in you might get mildly scammed, but you aren’t getting hurt, bit like Thailand really. I had no issues saying no.

Surf and Turf was lovely, and probably the best speciality restaurant on board any of the ships I have been on.

High/Mediums

The drinks package was all inclusive, with an option to upgrade for £60 for the week to include premium spirits, cocktails and wine. I decided against this, as I was trying to save money. The wine, cava and Prosecco that was included was really quite good, but some of the cocktails did taste a little synthetic. They were very generous with the drinks though, and had tables set up before the shows etc of wine, Prosecco, cocktails etc which was such a nice touch. Weren’t stingy with it either, would suggest me taking two as were small glasses etc.

The ship was mostly great to be honest. Loads of included eating options. The pool area was small but nice, and the indoor pool looked nice although I never used it, but for me it was missing a good bar/pub to have a drink in. In its refurb they installed a pub which I thought would be great, but it was actually almost a replica of the Live bar; big space, screen and stage, not very intimate and not at all pub like. I found the atrium the place I had a drink in most, which was unexpected. Especially as most bars didn’t open until 5. There was a bar with views on deck 11 next to the speciality restaurants, but it felt really more like a waiting room for them, and to be fair, that was the only time I used it.

The entertainment was really very good on the whole. There were plenty of quizzes/game shows, all the musicians were excellent, and on the whole the shows in the theatre were good, the performers were certainly very talented, even if the shows themselves weren’t always my cup of tea.

There wasn’t a huge amount in Grand Cayman and what there was shops and restaurant wise was expensive, but I really enjoyed the boat trip out to sea and seeing the stingrays and the snorkelling was lovely.

Mediums

Kori-la is the first of the 2 speciality restaurants. I went into great detail on day 2, and it was nice, but not great. For P&O lovers it was Sindhu, £3 more expensive and not quite as good (but nearly), but it still took me away from the craziness of the dress to impress night, and the staff and service were lovely.

Medium/lows

My day in Mexico wasn’t the greatest, I enjoyed seeing the Mayan ruins but would much rather have been able to wander round there myself. I thought Playa Del Carmen was an absolute dump, and I didn’t get to see Cozumel at all other than getting on an off a ferry due to the mandatory free time both at Playa Del Carmen. Does mean I know I won’t be going to Mexico on holiday though.

Lows

The toilets! I know this sounds so petty, and probably shows how little I have to moan about, the toilets were very inconveniently placed. There were no toilets on the same floor near the atrium, main restaurant or theatre. You mostly had to go down to my floor at level 3 which is a real PITA when you are on your own and trying to reserve a table etc. You even had to walk downstairs in the specialities.

The flight home wasn’t the easiest, they had us off the ship at 12pm, for a 4.15pm flight, when it was only a 15 min transfer. They could have found out about the delay, but instead they brought us earlier than advertised, well before the check in desks were even open. Long boring flight home through the night; especially as I had a rubbish seat.

I’m not sure I’ll go outside of Europe solo again. I missed DH terribly, and I just couldn’t phone him due to the cost, and the time difference. I’m so used to Europe where I can text all day when I’m in port for free, call him when he has finished work, and only have the sea days with no communication. I have never gone this long without speaking to him, and really missed him. I found I was forgoing port time to find WiFi, and choosing say Starbucks over more local traditional venues, and that just wasn’t ideal.
Old 12 Mar 20, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
LRMD
Imagineer

Mobile

Great trip report, we did the second week too after that week. Wasn’t the captain fab! Never had a captain like that before! I was quite impressed with Marella, been with NCL and Royal Caribbean before on the big ships.
LRMD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 20, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by LRMD View Post
Great trip report, we did the second week too after that week. Wasn’t the captain fab! Never had a captain like that before! I was quite impressed with Marella, been with NCL and Royal Caribbean before on the big ships.
I love NCL, but do like Marella too, I tend to go more for itinerary then price (inc AI) so I’ll go with anyone really but I absolutely loved this cruise
Old 14 Mar 20, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

We use WhatsApp or messenger both for calling and texting whilst away
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 20, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
We use WhatsApp or messenger both for calling and texting whilst away
Yeah I do too normally, but the WiFi on the ship was very expensive and also very unreliable due to some storms the first day, I didn’t get good enough free WiFi anywhere in port to call, but did use it to text. However I did have some credit on my phone to actually text, as sometimes I got signal but no WiFi x
Old 25 Mar 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
really enjoyed reading your reports thanks
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List