Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 5 Oct 20, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Just a couple more of my favourites-

For a Sunday lunch, we love Hawksmoor in Knightsbridge they do the best roast beef dinner ever. Great value for money for what you get.

For a theatre lunch we like the Delauney counter, near Aldwych theatre, great value and delicious food, especially cakes!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We like Etke Nordic Kitchen in the Bloomberg Arcade in the City of London. Great Swedish meatballs and good desserts. Not formal but relaxed and friendly.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
My favourite London restaurant is Clos Maggiore, in Covent Garden, its the most lovely setting inside, and they have very reasonably priced set menus. The triple cooked chips or truffle mash are just amazing! I will make a note about the others recommended here though for future reference thanks! Enjoy your meals OP, good choices!

This looks just like somewhere DH and I went, many years ago. I had triple cooked chips too! Wonder if it actually is the same place

Sandra - hope you enjoy your meals when the time comes
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Well just a quick update.
We have just had to cancel this trip as we are going into a tier 3 area up here in Scotland on Friday, down from a 4 at the moment.
We have already rebooked the hotel for next December and will redeem our vouchers when the flights come out.
We will book the same restaurant and the festive afternoon tea as well. We also had a booking at The Parlour in Fortnum and Masons which we will rebook as well.
Onwards and upwards 😊
Old 8 Dec 20, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

Afternoon tea at no. 1 aldwych is a good shout. Also, look at lunch rather than dinner as it will usually be cheaper at top restaurants. I do recall a particularly good meal at dinner by Heston blumenthal at the mandarin oriental, a quick look at the menu tells me they do £39 for 2 courses or £48 for 3 courses at lunch

I’ve tried twice to go to bubba gumps, both times with reservations, both times finding the door locked and after being persistent being told they’re too busy so go away. Never again. I’ve only considered it for the sake of my small child and certainly won’t try again!
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 21, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
letty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Balans 60 in Old Compton Street will be fun, lively and food & service always good (plus a good celeb spotting place if you are into that - Lady Gaga often there (as was Amy Winehouse) and Naomi Campbell photographed there recently) but I go for the American feel about the place. Booking essential

balans/
This seems right up my street, have booked for DH birthday lunch in July
Old 5 Sep 21, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

I am sitting waiting to check out of our hotel after a fab 4 nights in London. I thought I would give a quick account of where we ate as I had started this thread.
Obviously it wasn’t when we had originally planned , dec 2020 for my 50th, and since then my dh has also turned 50 and we have had our 20th anniversary so we have had a belated celebration.
We stayed at The Langham which has been fantastic.

Arrived on Wednesday
We had ice cream sundaes at The Parlour in Fortnum and Masons and then had some food later on in The Wigmore which is attached to the Hotel. This was so good. My dh said it’s almost the best burger he has ever had. I had the xxl toastie and we shared Bloody Mary fries.

Thursday
We had breakfast in the hotel which was really good, the later on we had afternoon tea. While overall it was a great experience, it was a little disappointing as we would have like it presented on a cake stand and we were really looking forward to the cakes which are updated UK biscuits, but actually they weren’t as good as we had hoped for.

Friday we went down to Balan’s in soho for breakfast. Oh this was amazing. We shared pancakes, kedgeree and their bacon sandwich. Really really good.
We ate at the Wigmore again at night which suited us well.

Saturday we had some coffee and a pastry from a cafe round the corner. Lunchtime we went to seflridges food hall and had some noodle bowls. Very very tasty indeed
We got some cheese and bread to snack on later. The cheese was one we had tried years ago and have never seen since. Blu 61. If you like cheese give this a try.
At night we went to Heliots steakhouse in the hippodrome. We have eaten here a few times before and it was great again. We shared a Tomahawk and had chips, Mac and cheese and mushrooms as sides.

This morning we have walked back to Balan’s for breakfast again as it was so good. Dh had the bacon buttie and I had avocado on toast. And a side of their potatoes is a must.

Thanks to everyone who suggested places to try.

Edited at 11:39 AM.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 21, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

It looks like you had a brilliant time. We are heading to London next week and I have booked The Parlour.
I am just going to have a look at the others you mentioned, its always good to get a recommendation! Glad you enjoyed it.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Delighted you both had such an amazing weekend and Balans breakfast really are the best (so are their cocktails lol)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Duck & Waffle if you have a head for heights!
duckandwaffle/

Sorry, just spotted that you’ve already had your trip!

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025

Edited at 01:17 PM.
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List