Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jul 17, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
mumof2
Apprentice Imagineer

Thomas Cook Airtanker

Hi All, Just wondering...
I have booked with TC for the first time, (usually go with Virgin). Can anyone advise what the issues are with the 'dreaded airtanker' that I keep seeing here? I'm not too sure yet what we are flying on but just want a heads up so we can be prepared!
Thanks in advance
Old 23 Jul 17, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
deltakc
Very Serious Dibber

deltakc's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hi, I thought that the airtanker was the plane everyone wanted to be on? Well it was last year. We flew on the air tanker last year and had no issues at all. I was told to book it as the non airtanker flights didn't have a good in flight entertainment system.
May be different now if they have upgraded their fleet but can't fault the airtanker. Everything worked fine, staff were lovely and food wasn't too bad.
Stouffer's Hotel WDW Aug 93; Regal Palms WDW Jun08; Marriott Cypress Harbour WDW Jul 09; Marriott Imperial Palms WDW Jun 10; Marriott Grand Vista WDW Jul 11; Marriott Royal Palms / Regal Palms WDW Jul 12; Marriott Grand Vista/Regal Palms Jul 13; Highlands Reserve Villa Jun / Jul 14; Marriott Harbour Lakes Jun / July 2015; Marriott Royal Palms July 16
deltakc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 17, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm not sure the Air Tankers are dreaded? You know which one you're on by whether the plane has Premium Economy or not.

The PE plane has seat back TVs, the all economy doesn't - you need to have a tablet to stream their service or have your own downloaded.

Both planes are modern and on lease from the RAF. Some people find the seats a little light on padding, but the legroom is fine.

Both have TC staff and food.

The second Air Tanker has had problems with the IFE streaming and isn't in service on its regular flight to Miami today.
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 17, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mumof2 View Post
I have booked with TC for the first time, (usually go with Virgin). Can anyone advise what the issues are with the 'dreaded airtanker' that I keep seeing here? I'm not too sure yet what we are flying on but just want a heads up so we can be prepared!
Thanks in advance
I think the problem now is that they are flying two different Air Tankers, one s fine with proper seat back IFE, but the other has overhead screens with IFE streamed to your tablets etc.
I believe the 2nd option is very unreliable.
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 17, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Mobile

It was me who put the 'dreaded airtanker' comment based purely on the fact that I'm booked on a normal tc flight in premium and so a move to an Airtanker would mean being downgraded as the Airtanker doesn't have a premium section (which comes with it the hassle of having to chase tc for compensation). As far as I can tell from feedback on here, the Airtanker is a pleasant flight but you need to check what IFE is supplied before you go.
Old 23 Jul 17, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

We flew on the original air tanker last year and if you have that one it's a great flight, comfy and seat back TVs. I'm sure it's the air tanker 2 that you have to have an app or something similar for entertainment... I'd just fill up an iPad/ tablet with stuff to watch anyway to be on safe side
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 17, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

Thanks in advance
If you do a dummy search for your dates on the TC airlines website, it will show you if you are on the Airtanker or not. If you select an Airtanker flight, and it's the streaming IFE one, you now get a 'pop up' window telling you before you book.
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 17, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
macy
VIP Dibber

macy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We flew on both types April/ May. The aircraft they used last year was by far the most comfy. The new one introduced this year didn't have seat back screens. We found the legroom fine but the seat's not as comfortable. Overall it was ok and for the right price we would fly on either version again.
macy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 17, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Dawn M
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

flew from Stansted to Cancun on the Glasgow Airtanker yesterday - flight absolutely fine, all economy, lots of legroom and seat back IFE

Dawn
Dawn M is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 17, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Thanks in advance
If you have booked then you should know if you are on airtanker or not.

If you are flying out on the 28 August there is a flight out from Manchester Not Airtanker
Thomas Cook Airlines MT2604
leaves at 11 am
I

If it is Tuesday 29 August then there are 2 flights from Manchester
One is Airtanker

Going from your countdown is this your flight?
Thomas Cook Airlines MT2604 Not Airtanker
Leaves at 10.15am

Thomas Cook Airlines MT2752 operated by Air Tanker
Leaves at 11.55am

Edited at 01:48 PM.
TEL N KEL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List