Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 5 Jan 21, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

Not seen it yet as I want to watch them both together. It’s a fabulous programme and makes admire and respect the police even more.
Old 5 Jan 21, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
I have great admiration for the police when they have to question someone who constantly replies No Comment. I would find it hard not to give them a good shake.
No comment interviews are good fun for a decent, knowledgeable, experienced investigator and whilst adhering to the rules, good inference can be drawn from a refusal to answer a question.. (if you can get the interview into Court and seen/heard by the Jury).

“ I need to find out who did this in order that we can prevent the perpetrator from doing it again with possibly even more serious consequences. I am asking for you to assist me in clearing you from this investigation in order that we can devote our resources to catching the offender. What reasonable person would not seek to help me in this aim?”

There are hundreds of great questions that can be asked and provided that you do not keep repeating questions, varying the angles of attack, you can bore the suspect into an outburst whilst not giving his Solicitor a reason to object.

That is when the fun starts as the Solicitor then tries to shut the suspect down and you can then censure him for obstructing his clients willingness to speak (and shout) (and swear) ( and sometimes threaten the interviewing Officer).
Interviews are about planning, setting traps and getting to the truth. Pre interview planning may take many hours.. or sometimes just a few minutes.. or sometimes no minutes.

A local Solicitor once said something very relevant to a client whilst I was present..

“And remember.. When the Officer asks you a question, he may already know the answer”.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:35 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

[QUOTE=cornishfrogboy;14780660]No comment interviews are good fun for a decent, knowledgeable, experienced investigator and whilst adhering to the rules, good inference can be drawn from a refusal to answer a question.. (if you can get the interview into Court and seen/heard by the Jury).

“ I need to find out who did this in order that we can prevent the perpetrator from doing it again with possibly even more serious consequences. I am asking for you to assist me in clearing you from this investigation in order that we can devote our resources to catching the offender. What reasonable person would not seek to help me in this aim?”

There are hundreds of great questions that can be asked and provided that you do not keep repeating questions, varying the angles of attack, you can bore the suspect into an outburst whilst not giving his Solicitor a reason to object.

That is when the fun starts as the Solicitor then tries to shut the suspect down and you can then censure him for obstructing his clients willingness to speak (and shout) (and swear) ( and sometimes threaten the interviewing Officer).
Interviews are about planning, setting traps and getting to the truth. Pre interview planning may take many hours.. or sometimes just a few minutes.. or sometimes no minutes.

A local Solicitor once said something very relevant to a client whilst I was present..

“And remember.. When the Officer asks you a question, he may already know the answer”.[/QUOTE

Oh goodness me I wish that applied in Scotland but we cant pick and choose the parts that we would change sadly

No comment is pretty standard and because of our caution absolutely no inference can be drawn. No comments are practically our bread and butter. Getting someone who talks is an absolute joy!

We are just so used to them now we expect it. I did love interviewing and I miss it massively.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
tigger48
VIP Dibber

Great show to watch. Interviews can indeed be very entertaining, and experience demonstrates that you should never ask a question in cross examination that you don’t already know and can prove the answer to 😉.
tigger48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Ooooohhhh !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Don’t believe she is vegan,vegetarian,gluten intolerant or in any pain .Master manipulater and very unpleasant person
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

We all thought she was going to tip the hot water bottle all over herself to get out of being interviewed.
Fancy asking if they’d expelled the air!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
No comment interviews are good fun for a decent, knowledgeable, experienced investigator and whilst adhering to the rules, good inference can be drawn from a refusal to answer a question.. (if you can get the interview into Court and seen/heard by the Jury).

“And remember.. When the Officer asks you a question, he may already know the answer”.
Best tactic can be a pre prepared statement if done with enough care. Can drive the police mad a good pre-prepped statement read out with ‘I’ve nothing further to add’.

Edited at 01:00 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Best tactic can be a pre prepared statement if done with enough care. Can drive the police mad a good pre-prepped statement read out with ‘I’ve nothing further to add’.
A pre prepared statement does not drive any professional officer mad. Provided that good, carefully thought out pre interview disclosure is provided, a prepared statement can be very damaging to a defendant if it can be proven that there are inaccuracies in the content. It also does not prevent the interviewing officer from asking questions.
It is worth remembering that the only thing that an investigating officer has to provide is the custody record.(not a great idea as a reason for a no comment interview may be that the defence has had inadequate information provided). He can then add anything up to a comprehensive disclosure (or opt for anything between the two) in order to draw out comment from the defendant.. verbally or in written form. He can also opt for ‘phased disclosure’ where the evidence can be presented in neat parcels as a ‘drip feed’, prompting a squirming Solicitor and a request for a suspension of the interview when he/she realises that the prepared statement content has been torn apart. This can really upset Solicitors, but is a perfectly legitimate tactic that the Solicitor may find as an unpleasant surprise.
Interviewing is a battle of wits and it does not follow that the Solicitor has the upper hand.
Some Solicitors were particularly poor in the options they presented to their client, (No comment, Prepared stmnt or talk). Some were very predictable in their method to the extent that it could be exploited. For example, one I knew, when presented with a defendant that had numerous drug deals in his possession, invariably gave a prepared stmnt that said the drugs were weighed up and packaged in order that his client could monitor his personal consumption.. not a great defence and vulnerable to phased disclosure of other evidence!
Some defendants also felt obliged to go against legal advice, prompting vociferous disagreement between Solicitor and Investigating Officer as the Solicitor tried to shut the client down, leading to a warning re obstruction.

As I said earlier, interviewing is challenging and enjoyable. I never got ‘mad’ at anybody, regardless of tactics employed. They are part of ‘the game’. I also got on pretty well with most defence Solicitors, some socially and some even 10 years after retirement. I never greatly cared either whether I ‘won’ or ‘lost’. You can only play with the cards that you are dealt.. you just make sure that you play them as best as you can. A good Officer will comfort himself with the fact that defendants invariably come again and that he only has to win once. Never make it personal, either.

Remember that it is not the purpose of an investigator to ‘nail’ anybody. His job is to diligently investigate, evidence his findings and then prepare a balanced report (file) based on his findings along with his recommendations.
Should there be evidence of Criminal wrongdoing, then it is the job of the CPS Solicitor to authorise charges and then prosecute, through a Barrister if appropriate.
It is the job of a Defence Solicitor to defend their client.. through a Barrister if appropriate.
If it becomes personal and the reporting is other than ‘balanced’, then I would suggest that an investigator may be in the wrong occupation.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:06 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post

I thought the lead detective was fab and when he said “I’m absolutely going to lose my s*** in a minute” we laughed our heads off , I’d have lost it way before then with that vile woman.
Who did she think she was kidding?!
Her poor ex husband’s,especially the one she had dragged down into her web to do her dirty work.
Looked a shadow of his former self .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List